It's Official: HP is Keeping its PC Division

Status
Not open for further replies.

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
HP is loosing its competition edge in PC and laptop. I hardly see anyone buying HP nowadays.

The hince continue to break, the keyboard scratches the screen. Driver installation is never a pleasent experience compare to Dell or anyother brand........ Better sell it off when it still worth something.

Even their laser printer doesn't last as long as Fuji Xeros, my CM1017 broken down slightly more than a year, and the cost to replace the fuser is higher than buying a new unit.

Sick of HP product.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Yeah I don't understand their whole motive behind it. It was just a bad business move from the start. I mean they revenue somewhere in between 40 to 50 billion dollars yearly in the consumer electronic sector. It wasn't like they were IBM where they were in the position to sell off their PC sector and focus more on corp. computer platforms where the bulk of their revenue comes from, it's the opposite with HP. Leaving the pc secotr would have cause nothing but desaster for HP. I'm glad HP finally came to their senses about this.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
All HP have to do to get back up to the top is to sell their PCs without the vast array of junkware and shovelware pre-installed.
Seriously, it takes almost an hour to manually remove it all, but once thats done the machines run almost twice as fast.

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
just picked up one of the dv6 series laptops for dirt cheap with the 30% off. Its a beast for harware. Compared it to Asus and others and the overall specs couldnt be beat for the price. Im glad they are sticking with it. Once I get it ill format it and get rid of all the bloatware. Will be a very solid machine and will be able to play all the latest games near max. Not my main gaming rig but a good mobile gaming machine.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I wonder how much PC production is being outsourced by HP. Does selling PSG involve anything more than their tech support and marketing departments?

AbdullahG

Distinguished
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Not if you get a fat corp discount.[/citation]
I rarely see discounts on pre-builts in the high-end segment (Dells has a few, but then again, it's Dell). People have budgets when it comes to PCs. If I have a $500 to $600 budget, I would rather spend that money on a quad core home-build with a nice GPU rather than spend $300 on a single or dual core pre-built that I cannot OC, run dual GPUs, etc. that usually costs $500. Screw discounts, I want to get the best for my budget.

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]Okay.Homebuilt > Prebuilt[/citation]
You have to remember that MAJORITY of PC owners buy prebuilt. Not everyone is like us here

AbdullahG

Distinguished
[citation][nom]maxiim[/nom]You have to remember that MAJORITY of PC owners buy prebuilt. Not everyone is like us here[/citation]
Still doesn't defeat the idea that home-builts tend to offer more for the price than pre-builts. Remember, this site is full of enthusiasts and tech-literate users, so pre-builts and anything news related to them doesn't interest most of us.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]Still doesn't defeat the idea that home-builts tend to offer more for the price than pre-builts. Remember, this site is full of enthusiasts and tech-literate users, so pre-builts and anything news related to them doesn't interest most of us.[/citation]

That's not always true. You can buy a budget system from a namebrand computer company cheaper then you can building your own budget system. that statement is only true when you are talking in regards to mid to highend systems. that's when you start notcing a diff in price between a prebuilt system and homebuilt system.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
They have lost sooo much dam money!!!!!!!!! just by stating this possibility very very stupid at this point you cant blame the ceo you have the blame the board of directors.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]That's not always true. You can buy a budget system from a namebrand computer company cheaper then you can building your own budget system. that statement is only true when you are talking in regards to mid to highend systems. that's when you start notcing a diff in price between a prebuilt system and homebuilt system.[/citation]
On the lower end, you can get better deals for homebuilts. If you have around a $300 to $400 budget, you can get away with decent specs with bundles on Newegg that have decent quad cores and cost $240. Throw in an OS, and you have a decent $340 that outperforms the dual cores in the same price range.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]On the lower end, you can get better deals for homebuilts. If you have around a $300 to $400 budget, you can get away with decent specs with bundles on Newegg that have decent quad cores and cost $240. Throw in an OS, and you have a decent $340 that outperforms the dual cores in the same price range.[/citation]

Not really. By the time you add in an OS which is 100 right there, The prcoessor, ram, hard drive, motherboard, power supply Case, Rom Drive, Media card reader, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc.. you end up spending anywhere between 100 to 150 dollars more building a budget system yourself with the same specs than a prebuilt budget system.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]On the lower end, you can get better deals for homebuilts. If you have around a $300 to $400 budget, you can get away with decent specs with bundles on Newegg that have decent quad cores and cost $240. Throw in an OS, and you have a decent $340 that outperforms the dual cores in the same price range.[/citation]

By the time you add a CPU, ram, hard drive, motherboard, PSU, Rom drive, Case Media Card reader, case, OS, keyboard, mouse, and speakers that a typical budget pc comes with, you will end up spending an extra 100 to 150 dollars more building a budget system yourself than to buy a prebuilt budget system with the same specs.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
The bundles include the case, PSU, CPU, MoBo, RAM, and HDD. Add the OS, CD ROM driver, card reader, and keyboard/mouse, you have around $400 w/ shipping and w/o rebates for the build (I can show you the build if you want). Most people buy pre-builts from BestBuy. Pre-builts for $400 @ BestBuy offer Pentium CPUs.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Thank you HP! Glad to see that Meg is leading HP and they are keeping their best asset, their legacy PC division! Sanity has returned to HP.\

HP desktops today while they do have some bloatware are very well built and have some pretty darn solid hardware, you can actually play most games on the premium models as well as on a very good home built system, not to mention they have decent tech support and excellent warranties if you need them. Most folks are not like us here on Tom's that includes most of my family and friends.

I have a home built system and a premium HP desktop (only a year apart, HP is newer) and both are very good performers in every way .

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I'd still like HP to do a mild public "mea culpa" about the initial decision that was made under Leo the Loser.

HP this would be good PR---- mistakes are made and admitting them is a sign to the general public that you are aware of things that need to change. It also shows that the company has "heart and soul" too.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]All HP have to do to get back up to the top is to sell their PCs without the vast array of junkware and shovelware pre-installed.Seriously, it takes almost an hour to manually remove it all, but once thats done the machines run almost twice as fast.[/citation]

This too HP! Listen and learn please.

Status
Not open for further replies.