KB890830

I recently downloaded KB 890830 as I have been doing regularly (for my
Gateway Tablet, which has WinXPsp2). After the
download I ran the "notepad %windir%.....etc. and noticed that it not only
told me it found no errors (as it usually did), it mentioned the following
which has us quite concerned:

"sys clean warning - mem scan get image path from pid (3096) win32 error
code 0x00000057 (87): the parameter is incorrect (65)"

Would someone be able to tell us what this means and is it serious and can
we correct, etc.? Please advise and thank you.

(I posted this message on the Tablet board, but they said they could not
comment on KB890830)
9 answers Last reply
More about kb890830

    http://www.mcse.ms/archive78-2005-7-1704494.html

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:97843631-7A43-4825-893F-94D17F77A191@microsoft.com,
    AliceZ <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I recently downloaded KB 890830 as I have been doing regularly (for my
    > Gateway Tablet, which has WinXPsp2). After the
    > download I ran the "notepad %windir%.....etc. and noticed that it not only
    > told me it found no errors (as it usually did), it mentioned the following
    > which has us quite concerned:
    >
    > "sys clean warning - mem scan get image path from pid (3096) win32 error
    > code 0x00000057 (87): the parameter is incorrect (65)"
    >
    > Would someone be able to tell us what this means and is it serious and can
    > we correct, etc.? Please advise and thank you.
    >
    > (I posted this message on the Tablet board, but they said they could not
    > comment on KB890830)

    We looked at the article but it did not make any sense to us. We are senior
    citizens and not too familiar with computers.
    The "warning" wording we mentioned ("sys clean warning - mem scan get image
    path from pid (3096) win32 error code 0x00000057 (87): the parameter is
    incorrect (65)")was printed in the KB890830 (MS malicious software checker)
    log that we opened after the KB890830 ran and checked our system. The log
    mentioned that it did not find any infections (as it has reported in previous
    months when the KB890830 was run.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > http://www.mcse.ms/archive78-2005-7-1704494.html
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:97843631-7A43-4825-893F-94D17F77A191@microsoft.com,
    > AliceZ <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I recently downloaded KB 890830 as I have been doing regularly (for my
    > > Gateway Tablet, which has WinXPsp2). After the
    > > download I ran the "notepad %windir%.....etc. and noticed that it not only
    > > told me it found no errors (as it usually did), it mentioned the following
    > > which has us quite concerned:
    > >
    > > "sys clean warning - mem scan get image path from pid (3096) win32 error
    > > code 0x00000057 (87): the parameter is incorrect (65)"
    > >
    > > Would someone be able to tell us what this means and is it serious and can
    > > we correct, etc.? Please advise and thank you.
    > >
    > > (I posted this message on the Tablet board, but they said they could not
    > > comment on KB890830)

    The link I included was as close as I could find to your error. I thought
    you might find a clue there.

    What I would suggest is running the Malicious Software Removal Tool again.
    To see if that error shows up again. I am guessing that the error was the
    tool's fault and not a problem on your machine.

    To run the tool again, you can go here...
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en

    Click the Download button at the top of the page
    Click the Open button on the File Download window that pops up (File Name:
    Windows-KB890830-V1.7-ENU.exe)
    Click the Next button on the Malicious Software Removal Tool popup
    Then a Scan results should show
    If nothing was found you'll see a green shield with a white check mark
    Click the Finish button
    You can also hit the Back button in Internet Explorer and run the tool again

    I have no idea what shows if there is an error or if something is found. I
    had no problems.

    Running the tool this way adds to the mrt.log.

    You probably know this but you can
    paste this in the Start | Run box...

    %windir%\debug\mrt.log

    Then click OK.

    To see what's in the log.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:B3E3C330-94E5-40E9-A358-0FC7023C046F@microsoft.com,
    AliceZ <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > We looked at the article but it did not make any sense to us. We are
    > senior citizens and not too familiar with computers.
    > The "warning" wording we mentioned ("sys clean warning - mem scan get
    > image path from pid (3096) win32 error code 0x00000057 (87): the
    > parameter is incorrect (65)")was printed in the KB890830 (MS malicious
    > software checker) log that we opened after the KB890830 ran and checked
    > our system. The log mentioned that it did not find any infections (as it
    > has reported in previous months when the KB890830 was run.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.mcse.ms/archive78-2005-7-1704494.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:97843631-7A43-4825-893F-94D17F77A191@microsoft.com,
    >> AliceZ <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I recently downloaded KB 890830 as I have been doing regularly (for my
    >>> Gateway Tablet, which has WinXPsp2). After the
    >>> download I ran the "notepad %windir%.....etc. and noticed that it not
    >>> only told me it found no errors (as it usually did), it mentioned the
    >>> following which has us quite concerned:
    >>>
    >>> "sys clean warning - mem scan get image path from pid (3096) win32 error
    >>> code 0x00000057 (87): the parameter is incorrect (65)"
    >>>
    >>> Would someone be able to tell us what this means and is it serious and
    >>> can we correct, etc.? Please advise and thank you.
    >>>
    >>> (I posted this message on the Tablet board, but they said they could not
    >>> comment on KB890830)

    Thank you. I ran the MRT again and this time it showed only "No Infections
    Found."
    Hopefully it was tools fault and not something wrong with this fairly new
    Tablet.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > The link I included was as close as I could find to your error. I thought
    > you might find a clue there.
    >
    > What I would suggest is running the Malicious Software Removal Tool again.
    > To see if that error shows up again. I am guessing that the error was the
    > tool's fault and not a problem on your machine.
    >
    > To run the tool again, you can go here...
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en
    >
    > Click the Download button at the top of the page
    > Click the Open button on the File Download window that pops up (File Name:
    > Windows-KB890830-V1.7-ENU.exe)
    > Click the Next button on the Malicious Software Removal Tool popup
    > Then a Scan results should show
    > If nothing was found you'll see a green shield with a white check mark
    > Click the Finish button
    > You can also hit the Back button in Internet Explorer and run the tool again
    >
    > I have no idea what shows if there is an error or if something is found. I
    > had no problems.
    >
    > Running the tool this way adds to the mrt.log.
    >
    > You probably know this but you can
    > paste this in the Start | Run box...
    >
    > %windir%\debug\mrt.log
    >
    > Then click OK.
    >
    > To see what's in the log.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:B3E3C330-94E5-40E9-A358-0FC7023C046F@microsoft.com,
    > AliceZ <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > We looked at the article but it did not make any sense to us. We are
    > > senior citizens and not too familiar with computers.
    > > The "warning" wording we mentioned ("sys clean warning - mem scan get
    > > image path from pid (3096) win32 error code 0x00000057 (87): the
    > > parameter is incorrect (65)")was printed in the KB890830 (MS malicious
    > > software checker) log that we opened after the KB890830 ran and checked
    > > our system. The log mentioned that it did not find any infections (as it
    > > has reported in previous months when the KB890830 was run.
    > >
    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> http://www.mcse.ms/archive78-2005-7-1704494.html
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> In news:97843631-7A43-4825-893F-94D17F77A191@microsoft.com,
    > >> AliceZ <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    Well, I'm placing my money on the tool. Keep having fun. :-)

    Oh, keep in mind that the MRT is no substitute for fully updated antivirus
    software.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:C2A85196-AD75-4FB7-AF82-7C9C4F0A43A9@microsoft.com,
    AliceZ <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thank you. I ran the MRT again and this time it showed only "No Infections
    > Found."
    > Hopefully it was tools fault and not something wrong with this fairly new
    > Tablet.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> The link I included was as close as I could find to your error. I
    >> thought you might find a clue there.
    >>
    >> What I would suggest is running the Malicious Software Removal Tool
    >> again. To see if that error shows up again. I am guessing that the
    >> error was the tool's fault and not a problem on your machine.
    >>
    >> To run the tool again, you can go here...

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en

    >> Click the Download button at the top of the page
    >> Click the Open button on the File Download window that pops up (File
    >> Name: Windows-KB890830-V1.7-ENU.exe)
    >> Click the Next button on the Malicious Software Removal Tool popup
    >> Then a Scan results should show
    >> If nothing was found you'll see a green shield with a white check mark
    >> Click the Finish button
    >> You can also hit the Back button in Internet Explorer and run the tool
    >> again
    >>
    >> I have no idea what shows if there is an error or if something is found.
    >> I had no problems.
    >>
    >> Running the tool this way adds to the mrt.log.
    >>
    >> You probably know this but you can
    >> paste this in the Start | Run box...
    >>
    >> %windir%\debug\mrt.log
    >>
    >> Then click OK.
    >>
    >> To see what's in the log.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:B3E3C330-94E5-40E9-A358-0FC7023C046F@microsoft.com,
    >> AliceZ <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> We looked at the article but it did not make any sense to us. We are
    >>> senior citizens and not too familiar with computers.
    >>> The "warning" wording we mentioned ("sys clean warning - mem scan get
    >>> image path from pid (3096) win32 error code 0x00000057 (87): the
    >>> parameter is incorrect (65)")was printed in the KB890830 (MS malicious
    >>> software checker) log that we opened after the KB890830 ran and checked
    >>> our system. The log mentioned that it did not find any infections (as it
    >>> has reported in previous months when the KB890830 was run.

    Thank you. We use Norton Security 2005 and update it's definitions every week
    and run full scan every other day. We also use AdAware.
    Would you know if the MRT in System32 (v1.07) will be REPLACED next month by
    the September KB890830?
    (I never knew the MRT was in the System32 until someone told me it was.)
    If you don't know the answer, no need to respond. Thanks.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Well, I'm placing my money on the tool. Keep having fun. :-)
    >
    > Oh, keep in mind that the MRT is no substitute for fully updated antivirus
    > software.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:C2A85196-AD75-4FB7-AF82-7C9C4F0A43A9@microsoft.com,
    > AliceZ <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Thank you. I ran the MRT again and this time it showed only "No Infections
    > > Found."
    > > Hopefully it was tools fault and not something wrong with this fairly new
    > > Tablet.
    > >
    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> The link I included was as close as I could find to your error. I
    > >> thought you might find a clue there.
    > >>
    > >> What I would suggest is running the Malicious Software Removal Tool
    > >> again. To see if that error shows up again. I am guessing that the
    > >> error was the tool's fault and not a problem on your machine.
    > >>
    > >> To run the tool again, you can go here...
    > >>
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en
    > >>
    > >> Click the Download button at the top of the page
    > >> Click the Open button on the File Download window that pops up (File
    > >> Name: Windows-KB890830-V1.7-ENU.exe)
    > >> Click the Next button on the Malicious Software Removal Tool popup
    > >> Then a Scan results should show
    > >> If nothing was found you'll see a green shield with a white check mark
    > >> Click the Finish button
    > >> You can also hit the Back button in Internet Explorer and run the tool
    > >> again
    > >>
    > >> I have no idea what shows if there is an error or if something is found.
    > >> I had no problems.
    > >>
    > >> Running the tool this way adds to the mrt.log.
    > >>
    > >> You probably know this but you can
    > >> paste this in the Start | Run box...
    > >>
    > >> %windir%\debug\mrt.log
    > >>
    > >> Then click OK.
    > >>
    > >> To see what's in the log.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> In news:B3E3C330-94E5-40E9-A358-0FC7023C046F@microsoft.com,
    > >> AliceZ <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    You better check for Norton Security 2005 updates at least once a day.

    MRT does not go to the system32 folder unless you actually download it and
    *save* it to your machine from here...
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en

    The Malicious Software Removal Tool from Automatic Updates, runs once and
    it's gone. Unless a problem is found.

    [[A new version of this tool is released on the second Tuesday of every
    month. These new versions will be available from the Microsoft Download
    Center—this page—as well as from Windows Update / Automatic Updates. An
    online version of the tool is also available. It is recommended that Windows
    XP users use Windows Update / Automatic Updates to download the tool.]]
    Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=en

    [[Windows XP users may get the latest version through Windows Update. To
    have the newest versions automatically delivered and installed as soon as
    they are released, set the Automatic Updates feature to Automatic.

    Note The version of this tool delivered by Windows Update runs in the
    background and then deletes itself. If you would like to run this tool more
    than once a month, use the version on this Web page or install the version
    that is available in the Download Center.]]
    On-line version of the Malicious Software Removal Tool

    Every time the tool is executed, independent of the results of the
    execution, the tool will record a GUID to the registry to indicate that it
    has been executed. The following table lists the GUID corresponding to each
    release.

    Release Value Data
    January 2005 E5DD9936-C147-4CD1-86D3-FED80FAADA6C ]]

    Deployment of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool in an
    enterprise environment
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;891716

    The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool helps remove specific,
    prevalent malicious software from computers that are running Windows Server
    2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830

    You receive an error when you run the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software
    Removal Tool
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;891717

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:6C3D017B-29CD-44BD-AB65-13CF28C7B7C5@microsoft.com,
    AliceZ <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thank you. We use Norton Security 2005 and update it's definitions every
    > week and run full scan every other day. We also use AdAware.
    > Would you know if the MRT in System32 (v1.07) will be REPLACED next month
    > by the September KB890830?
    > (I never knew the MRT was in the System32 until someone told me it was.)
    > If you don't know the answer, no need to respond. Thanks.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Well, I'm placing my money on the tool. Keep having fun. :-)
    >>
    >> Oh, keep in mind that the MRT is no substitute for fully updated
    >> antivirus software.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:C2A85196-AD75-4FB7-AF82-7C9C4F0A43A9@microsoft.com,
    >> AliceZ <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Thank you. I ran the MRT again and this time it showed only "No
    >>> Infections Found."
    >>> Hopefully it was tools fault and not something wrong with this fairly
    >>> new Tablet.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en

    Thanks again for your kind help. I asked my husband to look in his System32
    on his computer and he says he also sees "MRT.exe / 1,416kb / applications /
    8/4/05." We both go to MS Critical Updates everytime we sign-on to see if
    there are any Critical Updates and that is where we get the KB890830 every
    month. Are we doing something wrong?

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;891717
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:6C3D017B-29CD-44BD-AB65-13CF28C7B7C5@microsoft.com,
    > AliceZ <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Thank you. We use Norton Security 2005 and update it's definitions every
    > > week and run full scan every other day. We also use AdAware.
    > > Would you know if the MRT in System32 (v1.07) will be REPLACED next month
    > > by the September KB890830?
    > > (I never knew the MRT was in the System32 until someone told me it was.)
    > > If you don't know the answer, no need to respond. Thanks.
    > >
    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Well, I'm placing my money on the tool. Keep having fun. :-)
    > >>
    > >> Oh, keep in mind that the MRT is no substitute for fully updated

    My information may be wrong. I just found MRT.exe in my System32 folder.

    I just ran it from there by double clicking. I just deleted it. I imagine
    it will be back after the next series of Critical Updates.

    I do not think that you're doing anything wrong.

    The first sentence in the following paragraph has been changed from the one
    I posted earlier.

    [[Note The version of the tool delivered by Microsoft Update and Windows
    Update runs in the background and then reports if an infection is found. If
    you would like to run this tool more than once a month, use the version on
    this Web page or install the version that is available in the Download
    Center.]]
    Malicious Software Removal Tool

    I apologize, my information was out of date.

    Old version...

    In news:FB5D8CE5-90AC-42EF-A61E-4E696DBBA4C7@microsoft.com,
> [...]
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830
    >>
    >> You receive an error when you run the Microsoft Windows Malicious
    >> Software Removal Tool
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;891717
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:6C3D017B-29CD-44BD-AB65-13CF28C7B7C5@microsoft.com,
    >> AliceZ <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Thank you. We use Norton Security 2005 and update it's definitions every
    >>> week and run full scan every other day. We also use AdAware.
    >>> Would you know if the MRT in System32 (v1.07) will be REPLACED next
    >>> month by the September KB890830?
    >>> (I never knew the MRT was in the System32 until someone told me it was.)
    >>> If you don't know the answer, no need to respond. Thanks.

Windows XP