Windows Firewall Being Disabled

Tags:
  • Firewalls
  • Windows XP
August 15, 2005 3:59:16 PM

Randomly the Windows Firewall gets disabled. Usually I can turn it back on
and it will stay on. Occassionally, within minutes it will get disabled
again. Any ideas on what is causing this to happen and how to stop it? Is
my system infected with some kind of worm or virus? I have run the recent
version of Norton Antivirus as a full system scan and nothing is found.

More about : windows firewall disabled

August 15, 2005 4:13:29 PM

Are you controlling firewall settings using Domain and Standard
profiles via Group Policy? We had a problem very similar to this -
domain profile was set to turn the Firewall OFF (when machines are
connected on-campus) and standard profile was set to turn the Firewall
ON (when machines were off-site). Problem occurred when the user would
VPN in and the Firewall would switch to the Domain Profile and turn off
the firewall (very disappointing!).

!