Windows XP Backup (Software)

I'm looking to backup my data because I almost lost all my data when computer
failed to start. After about 10 hard power shutdowns I got my computer back
and it said Windows XP recovered from a serious Error. I think it had
something to either do with the hard drive or Konfabulator.

So now that I bought a new hard drive, I was wondering what other backup
programs I can get besides the backup that Windows XP offers.

Does Veritas offer something for backup up Windows XP?

Thanks,

Brandon

Use NERO. Burn your shizz to DVD.
Use an external HD, make sure its firewire/usb2.
Of course you can use veritas...and also, winrar.
--
"Talk Nerdy to Me"

Brandon wrote:

> I'm looking to backup my data because I almost lost all my data when computer
> failed to start. After about 10 hard power shutdowns I got my computer back
> and it said Windows XP recovered from a serious Error. I think it had
> something to either do with the hard drive or Konfabulator.
>
> So now that I bought a new hard drive, I was wondering what other backup
> programs I can get besides the backup that Windows XP offers.
>
> Does Veritas offer something for backup up Windows XP?

Veritas' backup program (Backup Exec) has evolved(?) into Backup MyPC
(http://www.stompsoft.com/backupmypc.html).

You might also consider an imaging program, such as Acronis' True Image
(http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage).

Notan

I would suggest investing in a good external backup drive.

Examples:

Maxtor OneTouch II
http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.ba88f6d7cf664718376049b291346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Products/External%20Hard%20Drives/OneTouch%20II%20Family/Maxtor%20OneTouch%20II%20FireWire%20and%20USB

Western Digital Dual-Option Media Center
http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=77

Where to Buy
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=414

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Brandon" wrote:

| I'm looking to backup my data because I almost lost all my data when computer
| failed to start. After about 10 hard power shutdowns I got my computer back
| and it said Windows XP recovered from a serious Error. I think it had
| something to either do with the hard drive or Konfabulator.
|
| So now that I bought a new hard drive, I was wondering what other backup
| programs I can get besides the backup that Windows XP offers.
|
| Does Veritas offer something for backup up Windows XP?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Brandon

map

Symantec's Ghost 9
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

or Acronis True Image 8 seem to work well and are the most popular
http://www.acronis.com/
To burn to DVD with true image you will need some sort of packet writing
software such as InCD
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_applications/ahead_incd.cfm

Image for windows is another alternative to look at
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/imagew.html

--
Mike Pawlak

Brandon wrote:
> I'm looking to backup my data because I almost lost all my data when
> computer failed to start. After about 10 hard power shutdowns I got
> my computer back and it said Windows XP recovered from a serious
> Error. I think it had something to either do with the hard drive or
> Konfabulator.
>
> So now that I bought a new hard drive, I was wondering what other
> backup programs I can get besides the backup that Windows XP offers.
>
> Does Veritas offer something for backup up Windows XP?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brandon

Acronis backup software
(http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/ ).It can
create an image of any partition (including system one), disk clone and
other useful things. By the way, it compresses files stronger than
other such products. It really works fine. I haven't worried about my
data, since I bought True Image. So, I'd recommend it to you.
Also this program is cheaper than Partition Magic but not worse.

DataMills Relative Rev Backup for Workstation software
Unattended Incremental Versioned Backup to Disk
(http://www.datamills.com).

It can create backup of selected files/folders and keep several backup
versions of the selected items. Incase you run your good backup with a
bad one, you will have the older backups to recover from.

Joe Rom King
DataMills

Chad

Hi Brandon,

My favorite method is to use TweakUI to gather all the critical data
together in a single folder (my documents, favorites, desktop, email
and address book). Then use a freeware automated backup tool like
TaskZIP or Back2zip to automatically keep a running archive of your
data on a different drive (not just a different partition on the same
drive). That will at least save you from catastrophe should one of your
drives crash (and they always do eventually). Here's a bunch of
freeware backup tools that can do the job reasonably well:

http://free-backup.info/backup-software.htm

And, in case you need to salvage any lost files from your flaky hard
drive, here are some free data recovery tools:

http://free-backup.info/data-recovery-software.htm

Hope this helps!