Windows XP Backup (Software)

I'm looking to backup my data because I almost lost all my data when computer
failed to start. After about 10 hard power shutdowns I got my computer back
and it said Windows XP recovered from a serious Error. I think it had
something to either do with the hard drive or Konfabulator.

So now that I bought a new hard drive, I was wondering what other backup
programs I can get besides the backup that Windows XP offers.

Does Veritas offer something for backup up Windows XP?

Thanks,

Brandon
7 answers Last reply
More about windows backup software

    Use NERO. Burn your shizz to DVD.
    Use an external HD, make sure its firewire/usb2.
    Of course you can use veritas...and also, winrar.
    --
    "Talk Nerdy to Me"

    Brandon wrote:

    > I'm looking to backup my data because I almost lost all my data when computer
    > failed to start. After about 10 hard power shutdowns I got my computer back
    > and it said Windows XP recovered from a serious Error. I think it had
    > something to either do with the hard drive or Konfabulator.
    >
    > So now that I bought a new hard drive, I was wondering what other backup
    > programs I can get besides the backup that Windows XP offers.
    >
    > Does Veritas offer something for backup up Windows XP?

    Veritas' backup program (Backup Exec) has evolved(?) into Backup MyPC
    (http://www.stompsoft.com/backupmypc.html).

    You might also consider an imaging program, such as Acronis' True Image
    (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage).

    Notan

    I would suggest investing in a good external backup drive.

    Examples:

    Maxtor OneTouch II
    http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.ba88f6d7cf664718376049b291346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Products/External%20Hard%20Drives/OneTouch%20II%20Family/Maxtor%20OneTouch%20II%20FireWire%20and%20USB

    Western Digital Dual-Option Media Center
    http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=77

    Where to Buy
    http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=414

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Brandon" wrote:

    | I'm looking to backup my data because I almost lost all my data when computer
    | failed to start. After about 10 hard power shutdowns I got my computer back
    | and it said Windows XP recovered from a serious Error. I think it had
    | something to either do with the hard drive or Konfabulator.
    |
    | So now that I bought a new hard drive, I was wondering what other backup
    | programs I can get besides the backup that Windows XP offers.
    |
    | Does Veritas offer something for backup up Windows XP?
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Brandon

    Symantec's Ghost 9
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

    or Acronis True Image 8 seem to work well and are the most popular
    http://www.acronis.com/
    To burn to DVD with true image you will need some sort of packet writing
    software such as InCD
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_applications/ahead_incd.cfm

    Image for windows is another alternative to look at
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/imagew.html

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    Brandon wrote:
    > I'm looking to backup my data because I almost lost all my data when
    > computer failed to start. After about 10 hard power shutdowns I got
    > my computer back and it said Windows XP recovered from a serious
    > Error. I think it had something to either do with the hard drive or
    > Konfabulator.
    >
    > So now that I bought a new hard drive, I was wondering what other
    > backup programs I can get besides the backup that Windows XP offers.
    >
    > Does Veritas offer something for backup up Windows XP?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Brandon

    Acronis backup software
    (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/ ).It can
    create an image of any partition (including system one), disk clone and
    other useful things. By the way, it compresses files stronger than
    other such products. It really works fine. I haven't worried about my
    data, since I bought True Image. So, I'd recommend it to you.
    Also this program is cheaper than Partition Magic but not worse.

    DataMills Relative Rev Backup for Workstation software
    Unattended Incremental Versioned Backup to Disk
    (http://www.datamills.com).

    It can create backup of selected files/folders and keep several backup
    versions of the selected items. Incase you run your good backup with a
    bad one, you will have the older backups to recover from.

    Joe Rom King
    DataMills

    Hi Brandon,

    My favorite method is to use TweakUI to gather all the critical data
    together in a single folder (my documents, favorites, desktop, email
    and address book). Then use a freeware automated backup tool like
    TaskZIP or Back2zip to automatically keep a running archive of your
    data on a different drive (not just a different partition on the same
    drive). That will at least save you from catastrophe should one of your
    drives crash (and they always do eventually). Here's a bunch of
    freeware backup tools that can do the job reasonably well:

    http://free-backup.info/backup-software.htm

    And, in case you need to salvage any lost files from your flaky hard
    drive, here are some free data recovery tools:

    http://free-backup.info/data-recovery-software.htm

    Hope this helps!

Backup Hard Drives Windows XP Product