Radeon 9600 XT Sluggish Performace

Hi,

I have just built:

Asus K8N-E Deluxe
Athlon 64 3000
512m Ram
Radeon 9600 XT

I am only getting a 3D Mark 2001 SE score of 9700 where I would expect
12000+

Its a clean XP Home SP2 install. I have tried a few driver flavours. Ones
from the CD. Dowloaded latest.Slightly older downloaded etc. Cant seem to
get any better. All the MB settings are default and all look OK. Not sure if
any of these would be the issue anyway.

Looked at a previous post about removing old drivers. I removed the old ones
from control panel. Is this enough?

Any ideas where to go in sorting this out ?

Cheers.

Jon.
3 answers Last reply
More about radeon 9600 sluggish performace

    Bishman wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just built:
    >
    > Asus K8N-E Deluxe
    > Athlon 64 3000
    > 512m Ram
    > Radeon 9600 XT
    >
    > I am only getting a 3D Mark 2001 SE score of 9700 where I would expect
    > 12000+
    >
    > Its a clean XP Home SP2 install. I have tried a few driver flavours. Ones
    > from the CD. Dowloaded latest.Slightly older downloaded etc. Cant seem to
    > get any better. All the MB settings are default and all look OK. Not sure if
    > any of these would be the issue anyway.
    >
    > Looked at a previous post about removing old drivers. I removed the old ones
    > from control panel. Is this enough?
    >
    > Any ideas where to go in sorting this out ?
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Jon.

    Check out other benchmarks such as 3dmark2003, aquamark etc. to make
    sure that they're all underperforming. Try turning off the ATI Hotkey
    poller in services and also check what other services/tray items are
    running. I would get around ~12250 on my 9600XT with a P4-3Ghz 800FSB
    and 512mb of DDR400 RAM

    Also use a tool like ATITool or suchlike to check what the core and
    memory clock speeds are, should be 500 for the core and 300 (600
    effective) for the memory

    Thanks for the reply.

    "" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just built:
    >
    > Asus K8N-E Deluxe
    > Athlon 64 3000
    > 512m Ram
    > Radeon 9600 XT
    >
    > I am only getting a 3D Mark 2001 SE score of 9700 where I
    > would expect
    > 12000+
    >
    > Its a clean XP Home SP2 install. I have tried a few driver
    > flavours. Ones
    > from the CD. Dowloaded latest.Slightly older downloaded etc.
    > Cant seem to
    > get any better. All the MB settings are default and all look
    > OK. Not sure if
    > any of these would be the issue anyway.
    >
    > Looked at a previous post about removing old drivers. I
    > removed the old ones
    > from control panel. Is this enough?
    >
    > Any ideas where to go in sorting this out ?
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Jon.

    I had some similar problems after upgrading to XP SP2. My IDE
    ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS were set wrong. Mine were set to POI ONLY, I
    change it to DMA and problems went away.

    Recent hard disks, DVD ROM drives and CD ROM drives support DMA
    transfer, as a method of improving drive performance.

    DMA transfer may be required in order to achieve the best results for
    capturing video, or playing DVD movies.

    To manually enable DMA transfers, adjust the properties of the IDE
    Controller, in Device Manager.
    Open DEVICE MANAGER.
    Click on the plus (+) sign beside IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS.

    Hope this helps

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ATI-Radeon-9600-XT-Sluggish-Performace-ftopict59801.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=302470

Radeon Graphics