file permissions over the a w/network

a b D Laptop
August 16, 2005 4:58:03 AM

I have recently set up a network at home with a Desk and Laptop. Specific aim
was to be able to share files fully (i.e. eidt
/modify save) on my desktop with my laptop. Laptop has small hd so don't
want to hold the info there. Can see both computers and files in my network
places but when I open a desktop resident file on the laptop it allows read
only. If I go back to the Desktop and try to give permissions to users on the
laptop, I can't because when browsing locations the Desktop only shows itself
as a location. I.e. it cannot see the laptop and therefore I can't change
permissions. Can someone help? Also I find strage that the two printers I
have set up shares to the latop come up as 'Auto' when I look at them - what
does that mean?
Note SP2 firewall is on and so is the f/wall on the laptop (XP firewall -
SP2 not loaded on laptop due to space restrictions)

--
Eddie

Novice Wireless Networker
August 16, 2005 11:01:10 AM

Eddie Gee wrote:

> I have recently set up a network at home with a Desk and Laptop.
> Specific aim was to be able to share files fully (i.e. eidt
> /modify save) on my desktop with my laptop. Laptop has small hd so
> don't want to hold the info there. Can see both computers and files in
> my network places but when I open a desktop resident file on the
> laptop it allows read only. If I go back to the Desktop and try to
> give permissions to users on the laptop, I can't because when browsing
> locations the Desktop only shows itself as a location. I.e. it cannot
> see the laptop and therefore I can't change permissions. Can someone
> help? Also I find strage that the two printers I have set up shares to
> the latop come up as 'Auto' when I look at them - what does that mean?
> Note SP2 firewall is on and so is the f/wall on the laptop (XP
> firewall - SP2 not loaded on laptop due to space restrictions)

This has been answered in two of the other newsgroups to which you
posted. Please stop multiposting. Search for your name - use Google
Groups Advanced - and find the answers to your other posts.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com