Disconnect of USB device

jay

When I connect my Olympus of Nikon camera (or card reader) to the computer
via the USB port I no longer get a little icon in the system tray (bottom
right of scrreen). This icon is supposed to be used to disconnect the USB
device once your done.... What do I need to do to get it back? I'm running
Windows ME (part of the problem?)

I the icon to disconnect appeared and worked for about 2 years.... now has
gone away. About the same time as I started using a external USB hard
drive.

Do I even need to use this to disconnect? According to directions from
cameras and card reader I do...

--Jay

"jay" <jay.dahlke@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> When I connect my Olympus of Nikon camera (or card reader) to the computer
> via the USB port I no longer get a little icon in the system tray (bottom
> right of scrreen). This icon is supposed to be used to disconnect the USB
> device once your done.... What do I need to do to get it back? I'm
running
> Windows ME (part of the problem?)
>
> I the icon to disconnect appeared and worked for about 2 years.... now has
> gone away. About the same time as I started using a external USB hard
> drive.
>
> Do I even need to use this to disconnect? According to directions from
> cameras and card reader I do...
>

> --Jay

Sounds like the external USB hard drive software interfered with the camera
USB connection.

Have you tried to install the camera(s) USB driver again?

The information on USB devices is in the register. I have no idea what to
look for.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 21:48:49 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> found these
unused words floating about:

>"jay" <jay.dahlke@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> When I connect my Olympus of Nikon camera (or card reader) to the computer
>> via the USB port I no longer get a little icon in the system tray (bottom
>> right of scrreen). This icon is supposed to be used to disconnect the USB
>> device once your done.... What do I need to do to get it back? I'm
>running
>> Windows ME (part of the problem?)
>>
>> I the icon to disconnect appeared and worked for about 2 years.... now has
>> gone away. About the same time as I started using a external USB hard
>> drive.
>>
>> Do I even need to use this to disconnect? According to directions from
>> cameras and card reader I do...
>>

>> --Jay
>>

>Sounds like the external USB hard drive software interfered with the camera
>USB connection.
>
>Have you tried to install the camera(s) USB driver again?
>
>The information on USB devices is in the register. I have no idea what to
>look for.

Might just be an Olympuss problem, the Minolta's operate by just turning off
the power. The File explorer refreshes and you're able to disconnect safely.

"J. A. Mc." <jaSPAMc@gbr.online.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 21:48:49 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> found
these
> unused words floating about:
>

> >"jay" <jay.dahlke@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> When I connect my Olympus of Nikon camera (or card reader) to the
computer
> >> via the USB port I no longer get a little icon in the system tray
(bottom
> >> right of scrreen). This icon is supposed to be used to disconnect the
USB
> >> device once your done.... What do I need to do to get it back? I'm
> >running
> >> Windows ME (part of the problem?)
> >>
> >> I the icon to disconnect appeared and worked for about 2 years.... now
has
> >> gone away. About the same time as I started using a external USB hard
> >> drive.
> >>
> >> Do I even need to use this to disconnect? According to directions from
> >> cameras and card reader I do...
> >>

> >> --Jay
> >>

> >Sounds like the external USB hard drive software interfered with the
camera
> >USB connection.
> >
> >Have you tried to install the camera(s) USB driver again?
> >
> >The information on USB devices is in the register. I have no idea what to
> >look for.
> >
> Might just be an Olympuss problem, the Minolta's operate by just turning
off
> the power. The File explorer refreshes and you're able to disconnect
safely.

Actually I own an Olympus camera and I have no trouble with the USB
connection. I just turn the dial to "Off" and the USB disconnects. I use
Windows 98SE and also Windows XP.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

jay

ITs not an Olympus problem since my Nikon has the same issue. I think it
was caused by an external USB harddrive. WHy not sure. I reloaded the OS
last night and it works fine with both cameras again. Drivers are not
required for either. I haven't tried the hard drive yet.

--jay

"jay" <jay.dahlke@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> When I connect my Olympus of Nikon camera (or card reader) to the computer
> via the USB port I no longer get a little icon in the system tray (bottom
> right of scrreen). This icon is supposed to be used to disconnect the USB
> device once your done.... What do I need to do to get it back? I'm
running
> Windows ME (part of the problem?)
>
> I the icon to disconnect appeared and worked for about 2 years.... now has
> gone away. About the same time as I started using a external USB hard
> drive.
>
> Do I even need to use this to disconnect? According to directions from
> cameras and card reader I do...
>

> --Jay

I'd rate the hard drive of much more concern as the platters should be spun
down before suddenlt disconnecting.

Next the card reader - as some draw power through the connection.

Least of all the camera as you can turn the power 'off'.

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:45:04 GMT, "jay" <jay.dahlke@yahoo.com> found these

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:44:47 -0700, J. A. Mc. <jaSPAMc@gbr.online.com>
wrote:

>I'd rate the hard drive of much more concern as the platters should be spun
>down before suddenlt disconnecting.
>
>Next the card reader - as some draw power through the connection.
>
>Least of all the camera as you can turn the power 'off'.
>
>On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:45:04 GMT, "jay" <jay.dahlke@yahoo.com> found these
>unused words floating about:
>
>>ITs not an Olympus problem since my Nikon has the same issue. I think it
>>was caused by an external USB harddrive. WHy not sure. I reloaded the OS
>>last night and it works fine with both cameras again. Drivers are not
>>required for either. I haven't tried the hard drive yet.
>>
>>--jay

I don't ever disconnect my camera before pulling the plug. It works
fine.

However, external hard disks MUST always be disconnected as their
platters need to be spun down and they need to be completely off and
not writing data before they can be disconnected. I usually disconnect
my card reader if I have the time, otherwise I don't. Either way, it
works fine.
I have a USB flash disk. Same with that. I don't disconnect it 90% of
the time and its never corrupted data.

It depends on the type of object you are using. If you use a flash
based thing like a usb disk or camera, most of the times you don't
need to.

***
....the Phoenix shall rise...

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 22:45:05 GMT, Phoenix AG <contact.me@in.the.ng> found
these unused words floating about:

>On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:44:47 -0700, J. A. Mc. <jaSPAMc@gbr.online.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I'd rate the hard drive of much more concern as the platters should be spun
>>down before suddenlt disconnecting.
>>
>>Next the card reader - as some draw power through the connection.
>>
>>Least of all the camera as you can turn the power 'off'.
>>
>>On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:45:04 GMT, "jay" <jay.dahlke@yahoo.com> found these
>>unused words floating about:
>>
>>>ITs not an Olympus problem since my Nikon has the same issue. I think it
>>>was caused by an external USB harddrive. WHy not sure. I reloaded the OS
>>>last night and it works fine with both cameras again. Drivers are not
>>>required for either. I haven't tried the hard drive yet.
>>>
>>>--jay
>
>I don't ever disconnect my camera before pulling the plug. It works
>fine.
>
>However, external hard disks MUST always be disconnected as their
>platters need to be spun down and they need to be completely off and
>not writing data before they can be disconnected. I usually disconnect
>my card reader if I have the time, otherwise I don't. Either way, it
>works fine.
>I have a USB flash disk. Same with that. I don't disconnect it 90% of
>the time and its never corrupted data.
>
>It depends on the type of object you are using. If you use a flash
>based thing like a usb disk or camera, most of the times you don't
>need to.

You can choose to play 'smart' or by the 'odds' ...

"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message

| "jay" <jay.dahlke@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > When I connect my Olympus of Nikon camera (or card reader) to the computer
| > via the USB port I no longer get a little icon in the system tray (bottom
| > right of scrreen). This icon is supposed to be used to disconnect the USB
| > device once your done.... What do I need to do to get it back? I'm
| running
| > Windows ME (part of the problem?)
| >
| > I the icon to disconnect appeared and worked for about 2 years.... now has
| > gone away. About the same time as I started using a external USB hard
| > drive.
| >
| > Do I even need to use this to disconnect? According to directions from
| > cameras and card reader I do...
| >

| > --Jay
| >

| Sounds like the external USB hard drive software interfered with the camera
| USB connection.
|
| Have you tried to install the camera(s) USB driver again?
|
| The information on USB devices is in the register. I have no idea what to
| look for.
|
| --
| CSM1
| http://www.carlmcmillan.com

I have to connect the USB Olympus camera to my computer (Win 98SE) prior to
booting up. Then I have to engage the Camedia software. Transfer images from the
camera (using the) software button. The software fails to find the camera via
the USB port; then I turn the camera on and the camera gives a rapid flashing
amber and green lights as it establishes the USB connection; then I click retry
the connection in the software & then thumbnails are downloaded into Camedia. I
pick a folder to put the images into, then hit a software button to put them
there. When I'm done downloading the images, I close out of Camedia & use
Irfanview to rotate specific pictures in the new folder. The camera may turn
itself off when I leave Camedia, or I may be able to hit the power button on the
camera to turn off the camera. However, I need to unplug the camera's USB port
after shutting down the computer. Sometimes the USB drivers for the camera
become broken if I don't unhook after shutdown, then I have to reinstall the USB
drivers (for Win 98SE), and I really hate doing that!

I realize the rules for Win ME might be more lax for connecting, but I keep a
copy of the cameras' USB drivers (with a shortcut handy) on the hard drive, so I
don't have to search for a floppy everytime.

In the winter, I get horrendous electrical shocks from touching the power button
on my camera when it is connected to the USB port though! I try to ground myself
before touching it by touching something else first, but that seems to be only a
partial discharging motion, I still get bad shocks. I get shocks from most
everything in my apartment when the dewpoint outside is below 0 degrees C,.....
even my chair, and I hear it through my stereo system. I touch cold water coming
out of the faucet & I get shocked. The water is in mid-air & I get shocked. The
camera hasn't died yet from this electrical hazard, but it leaves me wonderin'
about losing pictures by taking the media card out of the camera, period.

"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
message news:IMUxc.67277$j24.17223@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

> [...]
button
> on my camera when it is connected to the USB port though! I try to ground
myself
> before touching it by touching something else first, but that seems to be
only a
> partial discharging motion, I still get bad shocks. I get shocks from most
> everything in my apartment when the dewpoint outside is below 0 degrees
C,.....
> even my chair, and I hear it through my stereo system. I touch cold water
coming
> out of the faucet & I get shocked. The water is in mid-air & I get
shocked. The
> camera hasn't died yet from this electrical hazard, but it leaves me
wonderin'
> about losing pictures by taking the media card out of the camera, period.

Sounds like you need a humidifier in your apartment. Air that dry is bad
for you and for your furniture, besides the possible damage from static
electricity.

Win98 barely supports usb connections. When I used Win Me, I could unplug a
usb device with no problem, and Windows would recognize it again quickly the
next time I plugged it in. WinXP does it better and faster.

> [...]
button
> on my camera when it is connected to the USB port though! I try to ground
myself
> before touching it by touching something else first, but that seems to be
only a
> partial discharging motion, I still get bad shocks. I get shocks from most
> everything in my apartment when the dewpoint outside is below 0 degrees
C,.....
> even my chair, and I hear it through my stereo system. I touch cold water
coming
> out of the faucet & I get shocked. The water is in mid-air & I get
shocked. The
> camera hasn't died yet from this electrical hazard, but it leaves me
wonderin'
> about losing pictures by taking the media card out of the camera, period.

You should check in msconfig if Stimon.exe (StillImageMonitor) is being
loaded and run at startup. Stimon.exe is the program in Windows that is
responsible for detecting USB devices connecting and disconnecting.

You can extract Stimon.exe from the Windows 98 SE CD.

You describe a lot of static electricity in your house, do you have carpet
on the floor? A humidifier will put moisture in the house and reduce or
eliminate the static electicity.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com