How do I restrict access to drives/files on the family com..

I'm running XP Pro. I wish to restrict what areas of my computer members of
my family can see. How can I do this? For example, I have work related
stuff on 1 drive/partition, tax information on another, emails and instant
messages, photos, and music. How do I keep people away from some areas (like
the work, personal documents, and tax info) but allow access to other areas
within that same drive (like music, pictures, and videos)? I've tried the
"Sharing" feature, but it requires me to go into each and every subfolder of
a drive, but with about 360 GB of storage, that is a daunting and tedious
task. Is there a way I can password protect drives/folders?
5 answers Last reply
More about restrict access drives files family

    Jarrod wrote:

    > I'm running XP Pro. I wish to restrict what areas of my computer
    > members of
    > my family can see. How can I do this? For example, I have work
    > related stuff on 1 drive/partition, tax information on another, emails
    > and instant
    > messages, photos, and music. How do I keep people away from some
    > areas (like the work, personal documents, and tax info) but allow
    > access to other areas
    > within that same drive (like music, pictures, and videos)? I've tried
    > the "Sharing" feature, but it requires me to go into each and every
    > subfolder of a drive, but with about 360 GB of storage, that is a
    > daunting and tedious
    > task. Is there a way I can password protect drives/folders?

    With XP Pro, you can create extremely fine-grained permissions. Make a
    new user group and call it something appropriate, like "Work". Now only
    add Administrator and your own account to that group. Set permissions
    so that only that group can access the folder(s). Make as many new
    groups as you like, but always remember to add Administrator and
    yourself as users.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Thanks for your answer. I did some further searching and found the answer
    and have set things up accordingly. Luckily I was already using NTFS. It
    required me to uncheck the "Use simple file sharing" option within "Folder
    Options" of the Control panel. Once that was done I was able
    to go in and desinate what drives/partitions/folders I wished to share with
    any other users.

    Thanks again!!!

    Jarrod wrote:

    > Thanks for your answer. I did some further searching and found the
    > answer
    > and have set things up accordingly. Luckily I was already using NTFS.
    > It required me to uncheck the "Use simple file sharing" option within
    > "Folder
    > Options" of the Control panel. Once that was done I was able
    > to go in and desinate what drives/partitions/folders I wished to share
    > with any other users.
    >
    > Thanks again!!!

    You are most welcome. And thank *you* for reminding me that the drives
    must be formatted NTFS and Simple Sharing disabled. Since I always
    install XP on NTFS and disable Simple Sharing, I tend to forget that
    not everyone does.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"

    If you are using XP Pro., then the folders you create when you are logged in
    will not be available to any other user when they log is (as long as the
    other users are not administrators).

    You can see this if you right click a folder and look at the "Sharing &
    Security" settings.

    Jarrod wrote:
    > I'm running XP Pro. I wish to restrict what areas of my computer members of
    > my family can see. How can I do this? For example, I have work related
    > stuff on 1 drive/partition, tax information on another, emails and instant
    > messages, photos, and music. How do I keep people away from some areas (like
    > the work, personal documents, and tax info) but allow access to other areas
    > within that same drive (like music, pictures, and videos)? I've tried the
    > "Sharing" feature, but it requires me to go into each and every subfolder of
    > a drive, but with about 360 GB of storage, that is a daunting and tedious
    > task. Is there a way I can password protect drives/folders?

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

    HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

    Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
    files/folders.

    Best Practices for Encrypting File System
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: