Possible Infection?

August 16, 2005 5:57:03 PM

Greetings

I am running a Windows XP Pro box SP2, 1 gig ram 1.7 Ghz CPU. I use
ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewal, and am connected via DSL to the web. At one
point in the past my other PC was infected with cashbackbuddy which has
several variants. I have place the cashbackbuddy web site (and several
others) in the blocked list of ZA.

Lately I have noticed that the winlogon.exe and explorer.exe processes have
been attemtping to contact several malware and spyware sites that are in the
ZA blocked list. ZA keeps them from making contact.

I routinely run Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Spyware Doctor. All
come up clean. Has anyone else seen such behavior, processes trying to access
known malware sites but having no indication of an infection?

TIA for the help.

Misterweather

More about : infection

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 7:01:31 PM

MisterWeather wrote:

> Greetings
>
> I am running a Windows XP Pro box SP2, 1 gig ram 1.7 Ghz CPU. I use
> ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewal, and am connected via DSL to the web. At one
> point in the past my other PC was infected with cashbackbuddy which has
> several variants. I have place the cashbackbuddy web site (and several
> others) in the blocked list of ZA.
>
> Lately I have noticed that the winlogon.exe and explorer.exe processes have
> been attemtping to contact several malware and spyware sites that are in the
> ZA blocked list. ZA keeps them from making contact.
>
> I routinely run Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Spyware Doctor. All
> come up clean. Has anyone else seen such behavior, processes trying to access
> known malware sites but having no indication of an infection?

Are you running any type of anti-virus program?

Notan
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 8:08:55 PM

Utilize the following recommended regime:

http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware

Antivirus software: Frequently asked questions
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivi...

Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"MisterWeather" wrote:

| Greetings
|
| I am running a Windows XP Pro box SP2, 1 gig ram 1.7 Ghz CPU. I use
| ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewal, and am connected via DSL to the web. At one
| point in the past my other PC was infected with cashbackbuddy which has
| several variants. I have place the cashbackbuddy web site (and several
| others) in the blocked list of ZA.
|
| Lately I have noticed that the winlogon.exe and explorer.exe processes have
| been attemtping to contact several malware and spyware sites that are in the
| ZA blocked list. ZA keeps them from making contact.
|
| I routinely run Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Spyware Doctor. All
| come up clean. Has anyone else seen such behavior, processes trying to access
| known malware sites but having no indication of an infection?
|
| TIA for the help.
|
| Misterweather
August 16, 2005 9:52:59 PM

From: "MisterWeather" <MisterWeather@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Greetings
|
| I am running a Windows XP Pro box SP2, 1 gig ram 1.7 Ghz CPU. I use
| ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewal, and am connected via DSL to the web. At one
| point in the past my other PC was infected with cashbackbuddy which has
| several variants. I have place the cashbackbuddy web site (and several
| others) in the blocked list of ZA.
|
| Lately I have noticed that the winlogon.exe and explorer.exe processes have
| been attemtping to contact several malware and spyware sites that are in the
| ZA blocked list. ZA keeps them from making contact.
|
| I routinely run Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Spyware Doctor. All
| come up clean. Has anyone else seen such behavior, processes trying to access
| known malware sites but having no indication of an infection?
|
| TIA for the help.
|
| Misterweather

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
(.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
remove
viruses, Trojans and various other malware.

way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

file.

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 11:36:11 AM

Greetings

Yes I'm running McAfee v8 with all the latest bells and whistles. I see
several other posts and will try them as well.

MisterWeather

"Notan" wrote:

> MisterWeather wrote:
> >
> > Greetings
> >
> > I am running a Windows XP Pro box SP2, 1 gig ram 1.7 Ghz CPU. I use
> > ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewal, and am connected via DSL to the web. At one
> > point in the past my other PC was infected with cashbackbuddy which has
> > several variants. I have place the cashbackbuddy web site (and several
> > others) in the blocked list of ZA.
> >
> > Lately I have noticed that the winlogon.exe and explorer.exe processes have
> > been attemtping to contact several malware and spyware sites that are in the
> > ZA blocked list. ZA keeps them from making contact.
> >
> > I routinely run Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Spyware Doctor. All
> > come up clean. Has anyone else seen such behavior, processes trying to access
> > known malware sites but having no indication of an infection?
> >

> Are you running any type of anti-virus program?
>
> Notan

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 6:00:01 PM

Greetings

Thanks to all who have responded. I failed to mention in my original post
that I am running McAfee Viruscan, V8 with the latest dats and engine. I scan
daily with McAfee and regularly with SpyBot Search&Destroy, AdAware and have
SpywareBlaster in the background. I have exhamed all the BHO's and they are
legitimate as far as I can tell from the various programs.

I've been to the web sites suggested by Carey and David and have performed
several scans with various programs. Even downloaded TorjunHunter 4.2 and
have run it. All scans are negative. However, winlogon and explorer keep
trying to access several known malware sites that are forbidden.

My next step is to submit copies of the winlogon and explorer exe's to the
WebImmune site and indicate what is going on. I'll laos post a Hijack This!
log to one of the web sites and see if something else pops up. Some unknown
variant? I'll post back a response if I find anything else out.

Thanks again!
MisterWeather

!