Possible Infection?

Greetings

I am running a Windows XP Pro box SP2, 1 gig ram 1.7 Ghz CPU. I use
ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewal, and am connected via DSL to the web. At one
point in the past my other PC was infected with cashbackbuddy which has
several variants. I have place the cashbackbuddy web site (and several
others) in the blocked list of ZA.

Lately I have noticed that the winlogon.exe and explorer.exe processes have
been attemtping to contact several malware and spyware sites that are in the
ZA blocked list. ZA keeps them from making contact.

I routinely run Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Spyware Doctor. All
come up clean. Has anyone else seen such behavior, processes trying to access
known malware sites but having no indication of an infection?

TIA for the help.

Misterweather
5 answers Last reply
More about possible infection

    MisterWeather wrote:

    > Greetings
    >
    > I am running a Windows XP Pro box SP2, 1 gig ram 1.7 Ghz CPU. I use
    > ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewal, and am connected via DSL to the web. At one
    > point in the past my other PC was infected with cashbackbuddy which has
    > several variants. I have place the cashbackbuddy web site (and several
    > others) in the blocked list of ZA.
    >
    > Lately I have noticed that the winlogon.exe and explorer.exe processes have
    > been attemtping to contact several malware and spyware sites that are in the
    > ZA blocked list. ZA keeps them from making contact.
    >
    > I routinely run Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Spyware Doctor. All
    > come up clean. Has anyone else seen such behavior, processes trying to access
    > known malware sites but having no indication of an infection?

    Are you running any type of anti-virus program?

    Notan

    Utilize the following recommended regime:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

    Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=YVXRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    Antivirus software: Frequently asked questions
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivirus.mspx

    Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
    to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

    How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    From: "MisterWeather" <MisterWeather@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | Greetings
    |
    | I am running a Windows XP Pro box SP2, 1 gig ram 1.7 Ghz CPU. I use
    | ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewal, and am connected via DSL to the web. At one
    | point in the past my other PC was infected with cashbackbuddy which has
    | several variants. I have place the cashbackbuddy web site (and several
    | others) in the blocked list of ZA.
    |
    | Lately I have noticed that the winlogon.exe and explorer.exe processes have
    | been attemtping to contact several malware and spyware sites that are in the
    | ZA blocked list. ZA keeps them from making contact.
    |
    | I routinely run Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Spyware Doctor. All
    | come up clean. Has anyone else seen such behavior, processes trying to access
    | known malware sites but having no indication of an infection?
    |
    | TIA for the help.
    |
    | Misterweather

    Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

    http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
    (.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
    simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
    remove
    viruses, Trojans and various other malware.

    way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
    The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

    file.

    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Greetings

    Yes I'm running McAfee v8 with all the latest bells and whistles. I see
    several other posts and will try them as well.

    MisterWeather

    "Notan" wrote:

    > MisterWeather wrote:
    > >
    > > Greetings
    > >
    > > I am running a Windows XP Pro box SP2, 1 gig ram 1.7 Ghz CPU. I use
    > > ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewal, and am connected via DSL to the web. At one
    > > point in the past my other PC was infected with cashbackbuddy which has
    > > several variants. I have place the cashbackbuddy web site (and several
    > > others) in the blocked list of ZA.
    > >
    > > Lately I have noticed that the winlogon.exe and explorer.exe processes have
    > > been attemtping to contact several malware and spyware sites that are in the
    > > ZA blocked list. ZA keeps them from making contact.
    > >
    > > I routinely run Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Spyware Doctor. All
    > > come up clean. Has anyone else seen such behavior, processes trying to access
    > > known malware sites but having no indication of an infection?
    > >

    > Are you running any type of anti-virus program?
    >
    > Notan

    Greetings

    Thanks to all who have responded. I failed to mention in my original post
    that I am running McAfee Viruscan, V8 with the latest dats and engine. I scan
    daily with McAfee and regularly with SpyBot Search&Destroy, AdAware and have
    SpywareBlaster in the background. I have exhamed all the BHO's and they are
    legitimate as far as I can tell from the various programs.

    I've been to the web sites suggested by Carey and David and have performed
    several scans with various programs. Even downloaded TorjunHunter 4.2 and
    have run it. All scans are negative. However, winlogon and explorer keep
    trying to access several known malware sites that are forbidden.

    My next step is to submit copies of the winlogon and explorer exe's to the
    WebImmune site and indicate what is going on. I'll laos post a Hijack This!
    log to one of the web sites and see if something else pops up. Some unknown
    variant? I'll post back a response if I find anything else out.

    Thanks again!
    MisterWeather

Windows XP