right mouse button on file very slow (norton inquired)

Hi,
since some days my right mouse button menu on files is very slow (10 sec) to
appear.
I also noticed that Norton antivirus is the same slow to start and also
other operations involved with
norton check (like word or excel start) is slow too.

I noticed that if I have a internet connection activated or I unplug the
network cable
the problem disappear. If I have the network cable plugged and I'm not
connected to the internet
the problem returns.

So I was really curious about that and start to analyze all the packet in
and out my pc.
I noticed that during the right button lag there's a request on my DNS
server.

further analisys seems to be a request to verisign site.

it's a problem about Norton (one of the last updates...) or could be a
worm/ trojan problem ?

thanks to all
1 answer Last reply
More about right mouse button file slow norton inquired

    nikein wrote:

    > Hi,
    > since some days my right mouse button menu on files is very slow (10
    > sec) to appear.
    > I also noticed that Norton antivirus is the same slow to start and
    > also other operations involved with
    > norton check (like word or excel start) is slow too.
    >
    > I noticed that if I have a internet connection activated or I unplug
    > the network cable
    > the problem disappear. If I have the network cable plugged and I'm
    > not connected to the internet
    > the problem returns.
    >
    > So I was really curious about that and start to analyze all the packet
    > in and out my pc.
    > I noticed that during the right button lag there's a request on my
    > DNS server.
    >
    > further analisys seems to be a request to verisign site.
    >

    > it's a problem about Norton (one of the last updates...) or could be
    > a worm/ trojan problem ?
    >
    > thanks to all

    Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers -

    Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled -
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

    Slow right-click and other issues -

    Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace
    objects - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell