XL800 AGP and Windows Vista Beta 1

My computer freezes with screen corruption just after starting and reboots.

The readme says:

" This note applies only to Windows "Longhorn," not Windows Server
"Longhorn."
The graphic device drivers included in Windows "Longhorn" Beta 1 do not
support the ATI X700 AGP or X800XL AGP graphics devices. Because the
PCI-Express
versions of these graphics devices are supported, and the AGP versions have
the same device ID, Windows "Longhorn" will attempt to install the
PCI-Express
version of the driver. This can result in a black display screen on
computers
with the X700 AGP or the X800XL AGP devices. To work around this problem,
start your computer in VGA display mode and install the latest ATI Catalyst
XDDM
display driver."

So what are the XDDM drivers? And how do I install? (Legacy?)

I'd love to get this going, thanks.

TP

"The Primate" <primate@primate.com> wrote in message
> My computer freezes with screen corruption just after starting and
> reboots.
>
> The readme says:
>
> " This note applies only to Windows "Longhorn," not Windows Server
> "Longhorn."
> The graphic device drivers included in Windows "Longhorn" Beta 1 do not
> support the ATI X700 AGP or X800XL AGP graphics devices. Because the
> PCI-Express
> versions of these graphics devices are supported, and the AGP versions
> have
> the same device ID, Windows "Longhorn" will attempt to install the
> PCI-Express
> version of the driver. This can result in a black display screen on
> computers
> with the X700 AGP or the X800XL AGP devices. To work around this problem,
> start your computer in VGA display mode and install the latest ATI
> Catalyst XDDM
> display driver."
>
> So what are the XDDM drivers? And how do I install? (Legacy?)
>

> I'd love to get this going, thanks.

It's LDDM and they're at the ATI website:
https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBList.asp?folderID=27&rsPage=2
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

> TP

Might want to tryout your own URL. Stupid ATi support web site does not like
deep-linking. Is there a knowledge base number for this article?

"Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> It's LDDM and they're at the ATI website:
> https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBList.asp?folderID=27&rsPage=2
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

>> TP

"Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message

> "The Primate" <primate@primate.com> wrote in message
>> My computer freezes with screen corruption just after starting and
>> reboots.
>>
>> The readme says:
>>
>> " This note applies only to Windows "Longhorn," not Windows Server
>> "Longhorn."
>> The graphic device drivers included in Windows "Longhorn" Beta 1 do not
>> support the ATI X700 AGP or X800XL AGP graphics devices. Because the
>> PCI-Express
>> versions of these graphics devices are supported, and the AGP versions
>> have
>> the same device ID, Windows "Longhorn" will attempt to install the
>> PCI-Express
>> version of the driver. This can result in a black display screen on
>> computers
>> with the X700 AGP or the X800XL AGP devices. To work around this problem,
>> start your computer in VGA display mode and install the latest ATI
>> Catalyst XDDM
>> display driver."
>>
>> So what are the XDDM drivers? And how do I install? (Legacy?)
>>

>> I'd love to get this going, thanks.
>>
> It's LDDM and they're at the ATI website:
> https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBList.asp?folderID=27&rsPage=2
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

>> TP

Cari,

Those are the drivers released from ATI that are already included in Vista.
I did download and try them but still the same problem. ONe strange this
they are appearing and disappearing from the site. Today they are not
there. At the time of posting they were and the day before they weren't
although some web pages were reporting they were avail.

AP

> Cari,
>
> Those are the drivers released from ATI that are already included in
> Vista. I did download and try them but still the same problem. ONe
> strange this they are appearing and disappearing from the site. Today
> they are not there. At the time of posting they were and the day before
> they weren't although some web pages were reporting they were avail.
>
> AP

They were different...

Look for Drivers... then make sure you go to Page Two.

My X200 wasn't picked up corrected by the in-box drivers MS provided, at
least it was identified correctly, but no Glass. With the ones from Page
Two of the ATI website (the specific Vista drivers... you have to scroll all
the way down and make sure you get Page Two). I get Glass so they're
definitely not the same as the included drivers.

With the ones from the ATI site, I do get Glass.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

>> Cari,
>>
>> Those are the drivers released from ATI that are already included in
>> Vista. I did download and try them but still the same problem. ONe
>> strange this they are appearing and disappearing from the site. Today
>> they are not there. At the time of posting they were and the day before
>> they weren't although some web pages were reporting they were avail.
>>
>> AP
>>
> They were different...
>
> Look for Drivers... then make sure you go to Page Two.
>
> My X200 wasn't picked up corrected by the in-box drivers MS provided, at
> least it was identified correctly, but no Glass. With the ones from Page
> Two of the ATI website (the specific Vista drivers... you have to scroll
> all the way down and make sure you get Page Two). I get Glass so they're
> definitely not the same as the included drivers.
>
> With the ones from the ATI site, I do get Glass.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging

I'll try that again. I can't be the only one with XL800 AGP problems.