Driver problem

lee

Help wanted. I am having problems with my ATI drivers. Since I upgraded I've
had problems with the drivers giving me errors, pushing the monitor out of
range and having to restart. It get worse gradually until I do a complete
re-install of the drivers and then it's ok for another few weeks. Any ideas
whats causing this?

Thanks

Lee

Athlon XP64 +3000
MSI K8T Neo2
1gb DDR
250gb Hitachi S-ATA drive
Radeon 9800 pro
SB Audigy

"Lee" <lee24NOT REALLY NEEDED@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Help wanted. I am having problems with my ATI drivers. Since I upgraded
I've
> had problems with the drivers giving me errors, pushing the monitor out of
> range and having to restart. It get worse gradually until I do a complete
> re-install of the drivers and then it's ok for another few weeks. Any
ideas
> whats causing this?

Don't suppose you've got any nvidia drivers lurking on your system
perchance?

lee

"Spammy Sammy" <Someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Lee" <lee24NOT REALLY NEEDED@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Help wanted. I am having problems with my ATI drivers. Since I upgraded
> I've
>> had problems with the drivers giving me errors, pushing the monitor out
>> of
>> range and having to restart. It get worse gradually until I do a complete
>> re-install of the drivers and then it's ok for another few weeks. Any
> ideas
>> whats causing this?
>
> Don't suppose you've got any nvidia drivers lurking on your system
> perchance?
>
>It's a third reinstall of XP, and it's the similar each time.

shawk

> "Spammy Sammy" <Someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Lee" <lee24NOT REALLY NEEDED@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> Help wanted. I am having problems with my ATI drivers. Since I upgraded
>> I've
>>> had problems with the drivers giving me errors, pushing the monitor out
>>> of
>>> range and having to restart. It get worse gradually until I do a
>>> complete
>>> re-install of the drivers and then it's ok for another few weeks. Any
>> ideas
>>> whats causing this?
>>
>> Don't suppose you've got any nvidia drivers lurking on your system
>> perchance?
>>
>>It's a third reinstall of XP, and it's the similar each time.

Full re-install (ie with a disk reformat) or repair re-install which may
have left traces of other drivers on there?

lee

> "Lee" <lee24NOT REALLY NEEDED@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Spammy Sammy" <Someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Lee" <lee24NOT REALLY NEEDED@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> I've
>>> ideas
>>>
>>> Don't suppose you've got any nvidia drivers lurking on your system
>>> perchance?
>>>
>>>It's a third reinstall of XP, and it's the similar each time.
>>

> Full re-install (ie with a disk reformat) or repair re-install which may
> have left traces of other drivers on there?
>

>It was a full re-install with a format first.
I have, however, been ok so far today since I returned to "windows classic".
I don't know if this can corrupt the driver or whether it's a coincidence.
One other thing of note was the control panel stopped working and wouldn't
load after I had problems.

Sounds like your windows install is going. Its quite possible that because
of corruption that windows isn't shutting down properly and its only getting
worse over time. I think you should start over.