New bot worm and XP?

The new bot worm that crippled CNN, ABC, etc. is said to attack Windows 2000
and "some" XP PCs. Which XP PCs are susceptible?

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

    From the MS Security Bulletin at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-039.mspx

    "On Windows XP Service Pack 1, only an authenticated user could remotely try
    to exploit this vulnerability. On Window XP Service Pack 2 and Windows
    Server 2003, only an administrator can remotely access the affected
    component. Therefore, on Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2003,
    this is strictly a local privilege elevation vulnerability. An anonymous
    user cannot remotely attempt to exploit this vulnerability on Windows XP
    Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2003"

    Tom

    "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
    | The new bot worm that crippled CNN, ABC, etc. is said to attack Windows
    2000
    | and "some" XP PCs. Which XP PCs are susceptible?
    |

    | --
    |
    | Jeff Stevens
    | Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
    | jeff@stevens.com

    Properly updated Windows XP PCs are not susceptible. Make sure
    you have installed all the critical updates from the Windows Update
    web site. Also, make sure you have the latest updates installed
    for your antivirus program and your firewall enabled.

    What You Should Know About Zotob
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/zotob.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Jeff" wrote:

    | The new bot worm that crippled CNN, ABC, etc. is said to attack Windows 2000
    | and "some" XP PCs. Which XP PCs are susceptible?
    |
    | --
    |
    | Jeff Stevens

    Jeff

    XPSP2 is apparently not affected..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
    > The new bot worm that crippled CNN, ABC, etc. is said to attack Windows
    > 2000 and "some" XP PCs. Which XP PCs are susceptible?
    >

    > --
    >
    > Jeff Stevens
    > Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
    > jeff@stevens.com

    Thanks. I am always totally uptodate with Critical updates and this makes
    me feel better.

    Jeff

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > Properly updated Windows XP PCs are not susceptible. Make sure
    > you have installed all the critical updates from the Windows Update
    > web site. Also, make sure you have the latest updates installed
    > for your antivirus program and your firewall enabled.
    >
    > What You Should Know About Zotob
    > http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/zotob.mspx
    >

    >> The new bot worm that crippled CNN, ABC, etc. is said to attack
    >> Windows 2000 and "some" XP PCs. Which XP PCs are susceptible?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Jeff Stevens

    In article <OOuHHE2oFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, jeff@naol.com
    says...
    > The new bot worm that crippled CNN, ABC, etc. is said to attack Windows 2000
    > and "some" XP PCs. Which XP PCs are susceptible?

    All the reports I've read state that it can infect All windows platforms
    and spread from them, but it only harms Windows 2000 machines.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Zotob: An Avoidable Worm And The Negligence Factor
    http://www.securitypipeline.com/169400254?_loopback=1

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Jeff" wrote:

    | The new bot worm that crippled CNN, ABC, etc. is said to attack Windows 2000
    | and "some" XP PCs. Which XP PCs are susceptible?
    |
    | --
    |
    | Jeff Stevens

PCS Worm Windows XP