New bot worm and XP?

August 17, 2005 7:22:20 PM

The new bot worm that crippled CNN, ABC, etc. is said to attack Windows 2000
and "some" XP PCs. Which XP PCs are susceptible?

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

More about : bot worm

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 7:22:21 PM

From the MS Security Bulletin at:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05...

"On Windows XP Service Pack 1, only an authenticated user could remotely try
to exploit this vulnerability. On Window XP Service Pack 2 and Windows
Server 2003, only an administrator can remotely access the affected
component. Therefore, on Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2003,
this is strictly a local privilege elevation vulnerability. An anonymous
user cannot remotely attempt to exploit this vulnerability on Windows XP
Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2003"

Tom

"Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
news:o OuHHE2oFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| The new bot worm that crippled CNN, ABC, etc. is said to attack Windows
2000
| and "some" XP PCs. Which XP PCs are susceptible?
|

| --
|
| Jeff Stevens
| Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
| jeff@stevens.com

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 7:22:21 PM

Properly updated Windows XP PCs are not susceptible. Make sure
you have installed all the critical updates from the Windows Update
web site. Also, make sure you have the latest updates installed
for your antivirus program and your firewall enabled.

What You Should Know About Zotob
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/zotob.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Jeff" wrote:

| The new bot worm that crippled CNN, ABC, etc. is said to attack Windows 2000
| and "some" XP PCs. Which XP PCs are susceptible?
|
| --
|
| Jeff Stevens
August 17, 2005 7:36:59 PM

Jeff

XPSP2 is apparently not affected..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Jeff" <jeff@naol.com> wrote in message
news:o OuHHE2oFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> The new bot worm that crippled CNN, ABC, etc. is said to attack Windows
> 2000 and "some" XP PCs. Which XP PCs are susceptible?
>

> --
>
> Jeff Stevens
> Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
> jeff@stevens.com

August 17, 2005 10:07:24 PM

Thanks. I am always totally uptodate with Critical updates and this makes
me feel better.

Jeff

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Properly updated Windows XP PCs are not susceptible. Make sure
> you have installed all the critical updates from the Windows Update
> web site. Also, make sure you have the latest updates installed
> for your antivirus program and your firewall enabled.
>
> What You Should Know About Zotob
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/zotob.mspx
>

>> The new bot worm that crippled CNN, ABC, etc. is said to attack
>> Windows 2000 and "some" XP PCs. Which XP PCs are susceptible?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Jeff Stevens
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 11:32:17 PM

In article <OOuHHE2oFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, jeff@naol.com
says...
> The new bot worm that crippled CNN, ABC, etc. is said to attack Windows 2000
> and "some" XP PCs. Which XP PCs are susceptible?

All the reports I've read state that it can infect All windows platforms
and spread from them, but it only harms Windows 2000 machines.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Zotob: An Avoidable Worm And The Negligence Factor
http://www.securitypipeline.com/169400254?_loopback=1

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP