Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Home net usersnot following the rules.

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 5:38:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Does anyone know how to tell if my personal information is being accessed by
unautherized users of the house hold network? My son's Buddies come over and
all have laptops with wireless adapters. I have a WEP secured setup on my
wireless router but that only works if the KEY is kept un-disclosed, right? I
have had the My Network Places, and/or MSHome folders refuse to open, allow
me access, (telling me to inform the net Admin... I am the Net Admin.), or
pop the not responding message in the active an title bar. Other stuff has
happened too, so my question is : Can an unautherized person use the HP Share
to the Web, or the M S Remote Assistance Real1 Shoutcast, etc. to get info
from or control my computer? If so, how can I stop this and prevent it from
happining again? Advanced Thanks, Capelk
--
Capelk!(still Alive)
August 18, 2005 8:53:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Not sure about the answer to your question but if you're not at home, you
might want to disable File and Printer Sharing on your computer. Make sure
you have a good password on your Admin accounts plus the built in
Administrator account. Other folks in this group will have more suggestions
than I do.


"Capelk" <Capelk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 2491F53-C816-459A-BFBF-4DA558CD9746@microsoft.com...
> Does anyone know how to tell if my personal information is being accessed
> by
> unautherized users of the house hold network? My son's Buddies come over
> and
> all have laptops with wireless adapters. I have a WEP secured setup on my
> wireless router but that only works if the KEY is kept un-disclosed,
> right? I
> have had the My Network Places, and/or MSHome folders refuse to open,
> allow
> me access, (telling me to inform the net Admin... I am the Net Admin.), or
> pop the not responding message in the active an title bar. Other stuff has
> happened too, so my question is : Can an unautherized person use the HP
> Share
> to the Web, or the M S Remote Assistance Real1 Shoutcast, etc. to get info
> from or control my computer? If so, how can I stop this and prevent it
> from
> happining again? Advanced Thanks, Capelk
> --
> Capelk!(still Alive)
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 8:53:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Thankz Fitz, I think I have those bases covered, but theses days one can
never be too sure. I will doubble check those items and check back here as
well, so don't be shy, if you think of any thing else let me know. Being
spied upon in ones own home is just too creepy and not just a little
frightning. I don't know if I'm too paranoid or not paranoid enugh! Again
Thanks,
--
Capelk!(still Alive)


"Fitz" wrote:

> Not sure about the answer to your question but if you're not at home, you
> might want to disable File and Printer Sharing on your computer. Make sure
> you have a good password on your Admin accounts plus the built in
> Administrator account. Other folks in this group will have more suggestions
> than I do.
>
>
> "Capelk" <Capelk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 2491F53-C816-459A-BFBF-4DA558CD9746@microsoft.com...
> > Does anyone know how to tell if my personal information is being accessed
> > by
> > unautherized users of the house hold network? My son's Buddies come over
> > and
> > all have laptops with wireless adapters. I have a WEP secured setup on my
> > wireless router but that only works if the KEY is kept un-disclosed,
> > right? I
> > have had the My Network Places, and/or MSHome folders refuse to open,
> > allow
> > me access, (telling me to inform the net Admin... I am the Net Admin.), or
> > pop the not responding message in the active an title bar. Other stuff has
> > happened too, so my question is : Can an unautherized person use the HP
> > Share
> > to the Web, or the M S Remote Assistance Real1 Shoutcast, etc. to get info
> > from or control my computer? If so, how can I stop this and prevent it
> > from
> > happining again? Advanced Thanks, Capelk
> > --
> > Capelk!(still Alive)
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 1:25:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Capelk,
A sure-fire way to prevent access;
Set-up an administrator password in the bios.
Turn off computer when not at home.
Don't forget the admin. password, without it, the computer won't boot
to Windows.
Best,
Treeman


--
Treeman


------------------------------------------------------------------------
Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260
View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870989937
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 8:53:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Thanks T-man, but I must appologize too all as I am not sure I am being clear
enugh as to what the proublem is. What is happning is more like a case of
having my laptop activity "echoed", or observed while I have it in use. It is
nothing like an access of my HDD or download of a "dump", more like a
realtime watching of current activity to track web pages visited, email
opened and read, programs being run, installed and unstalled,
downloads,uploads, file and folder content moved and orgnized,any and all
work I am doing including backupus and watching DVDs or playing music CD's.
It's very unnerving and distracting mostly because I have no clue why anyone
could be interested in me. I am nether A software guru working on next level
Hi Tech whatever nor am I a criminal mastermind devising some intracate caper
or bussness big shot with inside Info on the next big seller. In fact I,(as
you can most likley tell by now), am a dull and uninteristing individule whos
life story would bore a three toed sloth to death . A rock in your neighbors
veggie garden leads a more exciting and interesting exsistance than do I, so
time spent monitering me passes pointless, rockets by senseless, and slams
into stupid at over 60 G's. Still I have to many odd occurences to ignore and
am in need of sugestions as to what to look for and stop this type of
"snooping" bfore I next visit my on line banking page only to find that my
password has been posted on the mens room wall of the information super
highway and am pennyless. Come on guys ...'littl' help over here. Word,
--
Capelk!(still Alive)


"Treeman" wrote:

>
> Capelk,
> A sure-fire way to prevent access;
> Set-up an administrator password in the bios.
> Turn off computer when not at home.
> Don't forget the admin. password, without it, the computer won't boot
> to Windows.
> Best,
> Treeman
>
>
> --
> Treeman
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260
> View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870989937
>
>
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:20:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Capelk,
Great reply, you sound like me! Just retired in January, and still
can't sleep past 5am. (normal work wake-up time for 25 years) Anyway,
there are a number of real-time wireless network monitors you can try.
Here's one I found;
'AirSnare - wireless network monitor'
(http://www.snapfiles.com/get/airsnare.html)
It let's you log the connection, and also send a message to the
connected machine, informing them that their actions are being
monitored. (grin)
Maybe this will take some of the worry out of "being watched."
Best,
Treeman


--
Treeman


------------------------------------------------------------------------
Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260
View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870989937
!