WiFi Bandwidth issue

TJ

I have a 3Com A/B/G access point to which I connect with a 3Com A/B/G PCMCIA
(the model with X-jack).

The problem is that I never seem to get better than 1.5 Mb when connecting
to the A or G bands.

Other notes:
* The computer has a fresh install of Windows XP Pro.
* I have very good to excellent rated signal strength in both frequency
ranges.
* There are no other WiFi networks in my area.
* It does not matter which channel I connect using, results are the same.
* I can not locate any signal interference on either band.
* I have no other WiFi devices which could interfere

Any help would be appreciated.
Ted

Hi Ted,

How are you measuring this bandwidth? And between which two machines are you
measuring the bandwidth? Are both these machines in your LAN?

With 802.11g, it is possible to achieve upto around 23Mbps of TCP bandwidth
on the wireless hop alone (the documented raw figure is 54Mbps of course,
but accounting for all overheads, this is the largest empirical figure I've
encountered). Again in your case (assuming that this is the configuration in
your house), your DSL or cable line may be the bottleneck or you may be
seeing a reduced bandwidth because of high traffic on the uplink in your
neighbourhood.

Rajiv

"TJ" <TJ@nospam.me> wrote in message
> I have a 3Com A/B/G access point to which I connect with a 3Com A/B/G
PCMCIA
> (the model with X-jack).
>
> The problem is that I never seem to get better than 1.5 Mb when connecting
> to the A or G bands.
>
> Other notes:
> * The computer has a fresh install of Windows XP Pro.
> * I have very good to excellent rated signal strength in both frequency
> ranges.
> * There are no other WiFi networks in my area.
> * It does not matter which channel I connect using, results are the same.
> * I can not locate any signal interference on either band.
> * I have no other WiFi devices which could interfere
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Ted

TJ

Rajiv,
Thank you for your reply.
The bandwidth being measured is mostly just internal network. I do have
broadband, however am less concerned about that bandwidth. I have used
several apps which measure upload/download speeds (I.E. TCP/IP packets) all
give approximately the same results.

ted