Bad AIW 9800 Pro or Bad SW?

Gene

Hello,

The non-graphic mode of the AIW is rock solid. But my system grows unstable
as video demand increases. Especially if I use the TV. XP Pro SP2 may
reboot at any second. Just sitting with no video the system may restart
after a day or two. I've tried the software shipped with the card and I
have gone to ATI for upgrades (which are worse.).

I replaced the AIW with a standard PCI card and the system has been stable
for a couple of weeks now.

Does the board seem like it may have bad components or does it sound like a
s/w driver issue?

If I can resolve the issues above, I would like to switch to XP Media
Center, but the AIW 9800 won't work with that, will it?

Intel P4 3ghz Prescott, D865PERL, 2gb ram .6tbHdd. 500w.psu

Thanks,

Gene

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If it works with the PCI card then it sounds like it's video related. Have
you tried doing a COMPLETE uninstall of the ATI software? After a full
uninstall I would recommend the Cat 5.6 or 5.7 drivers along with MMC 9.08.
Also make sure to do the Windows Media Player update for improved frame
rates. And also make sure to get the latest updates from Windows Update
site. Finally make sure fast writes are turned off in your bios.
If all that doesn't help you may need to look for a replacement card.

Greg wrote:

> If it works with the PCI card then it sounds like it's video related. Have
> you tried doing a COMPLETE uninstall of the ATI software? After a full
> uninstall I would recommend the Cat 5.6 or 5.7 drivers along with MMC 9.08.
> Also make sure to do the Windows Media Player update for improved frame
> rates. And also make sure to get the latest updates from Windows Update
> site. Finally make sure fast writes are turned off in your bios.
> If all that doesn't help you may need to look for a replacement card.
>
> "Gene" <gjsnider@swbell.net> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > The non-graphic mode of the AIW is rock solid. But my system grows
> > unstable
> > as video demand increases. Especially if I use the TV. XP Pro SP2 may
> > reboot at any second. Just sitting with no video the system may restart
> > after a day or two. I've tried the software shipped with the card and I
> > have gone to ATI for upgrades (which are worse.).
> >
> > I replaced the AIW with a standard PCI card and the system has been stable
> > for a couple of weeks now.
> >
> > Does the board seem like it may have bad components or does it sound like
> > s/w driver issue?
> >
> > If I can resolve the issues above, I would like to switch to XP Media
> > Center, but the AIW 9800 won't work with that, will it?
> >
> > Intel P4 3ghz Prescott, D865PERL, 2gb ram .6tbHdd. 500w.psu
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Gene

do NOT use windows update for driver updates!