Windows XP Msinfo32.exe Tool Fails with WXP Firewall

I am unable to use the View / Remote Computer... option in msinfo32.exe to
view information on remote computers with the Windows Firewall turned on. It
looks like the firewall is blocking traffic on ports 137 and 138, among other
things.

What must I add to the firewall Exceptions list to fix this problem?
2 answers Last reply
More about windows msinfo32 tool fails firewall

    David Lingren wrote:

    > I am unable to use the View / Remote Computer... option in msinfo32.exe to
    > view information on remote computers with the Windows Firewall turned on. It
    > looks like the firewall is blocking traffic on ports 137 and 138, among other
    > things.
    >
    > What must I add to the firewall Exceptions list to fix this problem?

    Hi,

    I would think you need to apply this policy setting on the remote
    computer to open for this:

    Policy path:
    Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\
    Network Connections\Windows Firewall\<Domain|Standard> Profile\

    Policy name:
    Windows Firewall: Allow remote administration exception

    From PolicySettings.xls available here:

    Group Policy Settings Reference for Windows XP Professional
    Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=ef3a35c0-19b9-4acc-b5be-9b7dab13108e&displaylang=en

    <quote>
    Administrative Templates\Network\Network Connections\Windows Firewall
    \<some> Profile
    Windows Firewall: Allow remote administration exception

    Allows remote administration of this computer using administrative
    tools such as the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) and Windows
    Management Instrumentation (WMI). To do this, Windows Firewall opens
    TCP ports 135 and 445. Services typically use these ports to
    communicate using remote procedure calls (RPC) and Distributed
    Component Object Model (DCOM). This policy setting also allows
    SVCHOST.EXE and LSASS.EXE to receive unsolicited incoming messages
    and allows hosted services to open additional dynamically-assigned
    ports, typically in the range of 1024 to 1034. If you enable this
    policy setting, Windows Firewall allows the computer to receive the
    unsolicited incoming messages associated with remote administration.
    You must specify the IP addresses or subnets from which these
    incoming messages are allowed. If you disable or do not configure
    this policy setting, Windows Firewall does not open TCP port 135 or
    445. Also, Windows Firewall prevents SVCHOST.EXE and LSASS.EXE from
    receiving unsolicited incoming messages, and prevents hosted
    services from opening additional dynamically-assigned ports. Because
    disabling this policy setting does not block TCP port 445, it does
    not conflict with the Windows Firewall: Allow file and printer
    sharing exception policy setting. Note: Malicious users often
    attempt to attack networks and computers using RPC and DCOM. We
    recommend that you contact the manufacturers of your critical
    programs to determine if they are hosted by SVCHOST.exe or LSASS.exe
    or if they require RPC and DCOM communication. If they do not, then
    do not enable this policy setting. Note: If any policy setting
    opens TCP port 445, Windows Firewall allows inbound ICMP echo
    request messages (the message sent by the Ping utility), even if the
    Windows Firewall: Allow ICMP exceptions policy setting would block
    them. Policy settings that can open TCP port 445 include Windows
    Firewall: Allow file and printer sharing exception, Windows Firewall:
    Allow remote administration exception, and Windows Firewall: Define
    port exceptions.

    </quote>

    Using netsh.exe, you can configure the "Allow for remote administration"
    setting from command line as well, like this:

    netsh.exe firewall set service type=remoteadmin mode=enable scope=subnet
    profile=domain

    If not a domain computer, you need to change to 'profile=standard'
    (or 'profile=all'). Scope can also be set to 'custom' and then you
    can add ip ranges to the command line as well.

    The netsh.exe syntax is documented in WF_XPSP2.doc.

    WF_XPSP2.doc "Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft
    Windows XP with Service Pack 2" is downloadable from
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4454e0e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-499f73a637d1

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Thanks for this prompt and helpful response, which enabled me to solve my
    problem.

    I actually found the PolicySettings.xls file at this location:

    Group Policy Settings Reference for Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7821c32f-da15-438d-8e48-45915cd2bc14&DisplayLang=en

    I also found these articles helpful, since I ended up using NETSH for the fix:

    The Cable Guy - February 2004: Manually Configuring Internet Connection
    Firewall in Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0204.mspx

    The Cable Guy - November 2001: Managing Windows 2000 Networking Components
    with Netsh
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg1101.mspx

    Thanks again for your help!
    David Lingren