X850XT - a dissapointment

I thought this would be the card to beat the complex Heathrow +

100% Ultimate Traffic + real weather setup in FS2004. My 9800 Pro

got about 6-8 FPS in that situation. Guess what - after spending my

hard earnt dosh (£325) on this new card - my FPS is the same

6-8FPS! I can't believe it, this card is supposed to be mega

compared to the 9800Pro.

1. I've checked that 8x AGP is on
2. I used ATI unistaller to make sure system clear b4 installing

5.7 drivers
3. I ran 3DMark05 and got 5699 score (about 3x my 9800 Pro)
4. I had made sure fs9.cfg showed my new card
5. Checked dxdiag and yes, all acceleration is on

So, what gives? After flying various places I notice no difference

between 9800 Pro and the X850XT, if I had to say then the 9800 Pro

has the edge!

Anyone got any advice for me?

Thanks,

Alan

SYSTEM:
Radeon X850XT graphics
Intel P4 3.2Mhz proc
1Gb Corsair xms3200 DDR400 ram
Intel D865GLC mobo

Guess its CPU limited. As the benchmark shows the card is capable of 3 times
the performance of your old card, but only if the game can handle that as
well.

"Rand Al'Thor" <randalthor@wheeloftime.ie> wrote in message
>I thought this would be the card to beat the complex Heathrow +
>
> 100% Ultimate Traffic + real weather setup in FS2004. My 9800 Pro
>
> got about 6-8 FPS in that situation. Guess what - after spending my
>
> hard earnt dosh (£325) on this new card - my FPS is the same
>
> 6-8FPS! I can't believe it, this card is supposed to be mega
>
> compared to the 9800Pro.
>
> 1. I've checked that 8x AGP is on
> 2. I used ATI unistaller to make sure system clear b4 installing
>
> 5.7 drivers
> 3. I ran 3DMark05 and got 5699 score (about 3x my 9800 Pro)
> 4. I had made sure fs9.cfg showed my new card
> 5. Checked dxdiag and yes, all acceleration is on
>
> So, what gives? After flying various places I notice no difference
>
> between 9800 Pro and the X850XT, if I had to say then the 9800 Pro
>
> has the edge!
>
> Anyone got any advice for me?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan
>
> SYSTEM:
> Radeon X850XT graphics
> Intel P4 3.2Mhz proc
> 1Gb Corsair xms3200 DDR400 ram
> Intel D865GLC mobo

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Rand Al'Thor" <randalthor@wheeloftime.ie> wrote in message
>I thought this would be the card to beat the complex Heathrow +
>
> 100% Ultimate Traffic + real weather setup in FS2004. My 9800 Pro
>
> got about 6-8 FPS in that situation. Guess what - after spending my
>
> hard earnt dosh (£325) on this new card - my FPS is the same
>
> 6-8FPS! I can't believe it, this card is supposed to be mega
>
> compared to the 9800Pro.
>
> 1. I've checked that 8x AGP is on
> 2. I used ATI unistaller to make sure system clear b4 installing
>
> 5.7 drivers
> 3. I ran 3DMark05 and got 5699 score (about 3x my 9800 Pro)
> 4. I had made sure fs9.cfg showed my new card
> 5. Checked dxdiag and yes, all acceleration is on
>
> So, what gives? After flying various places I notice no difference
>
> between 9800 Pro and the X850XT, if I had to say then the 9800 Pro
>
> has the edge!
>
> Anyone got any advice for me?

Many Flight Sims are CPU limited, so the only solution that will likely
help is to upgrade your CPU or try overclocking it. What CPU do you have?

Tom

i have an 2500+ @ 3200+, 1 gb dualch, 9800pro and i get more than 6-8 fps.
dont have the real weather, but mine moves soooo smooth and easy, i think
there is a hardware problem there.
i play fs2004 as well. i turn anti and aniso on.

"Tom" <Tom@nowhere.ca> wrote in message

> "Rand Al'Thor" <randalthor@wheeloftime.ie> wrote in message
>>I thought this would be the card to beat the complex Heathrow +
>>
>> 100% Ultimate Traffic + real weather setup in FS2004. My 9800 Pro
>>
>> got about 6-8 FPS in that situation. Guess what - after spending my
>>
>> hard earnt dosh (£325) on this new card - my FPS is the same
>>
>> 6-8FPS! I can't believe it, this card is supposed to be mega
>>
>> compared to the 9800Pro.
>>
>> 1. I've checked that 8x AGP is on
>> 2. I used ATI unistaller to make sure system clear b4 installing
>>
>> 5.7 drivers
>> 3. I ran 3DMark05 and got 5699 score (about 3x my 9800 Pro)
>> 4. I had made sure fs9.cfg showed my new card
>> 5. Checked dxdiag and yes, all acceleration is on
>>
>> So, what gives? After flying various places I notice no difference
>>
>> between 9800 Pro and the X850XT, if I had to say then the 9800 Pro
>>
>> has the edge!
>>
>> Anyone got any advice for me?
>>

> Many Flight Sims are CPU limited, so the only solution that will likely
> help is to upgrade your CPU or try overclocking it. What CPU do you
> have?
>

> Tom

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Rand Al'Thor wrote:
> My 9800 Pro got about 6-8 FPS in that situation. Guess what - after
> spending my
> hard earnt dosh (£325) on this new card - my FPS is the same 6-8FPS! I
> can't believe it, this card is supposed to be mega
>
> SYSTEM:
> Radeon X850XT graphics
> Intel P4 3.2Mhz proc
> 1Gb Corsair xms3200 DDR400 ram
> Intel D865GLC mobo

Like 'C16' said, it might be that this game is CPU limited, although your
system is very powerful...

I'd try some benchmark like 3DMark2001SE to see if system performance is up
to par. 2001SE is the smallest of the series, and has excellent compare
possibilities.

If 2001SE performance is up to par, the problem lies niet with the vid
card...

--
Good luck!
Thomas

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"x.C" <email> wrote in message news:0MOdnZT-fvZnPG7fRVn-2g@rogers.com...
>i have an 2500+ @ 3200+, 1 gb dualch, 9800pro and i get more than 6-8 fps.
> dont have the real weather, but mine moves soooo smooth and easy, i think
> there is a hardware problem there.
> i play fs2004 as well. i turn anti and aniso on.

I'd like to see what CPU he has - if he is trying to run it on a 1700 or
something maybe that is the problem.

Tom

his post says p4 3.2

> "x.C" <email> wrote in message news:0MOdnZT-fvZnPG7fRVn-2g@rogers.com...
>>i have an 2500+ @ 3200+, 1 gb dualch, 9800pro and i get more than 6-8 fps.
>> dont have the real weather, but mine moves soooo smooth and easy, i think
>> there is a hardware problem there.
>> i play fs2004 as well. i turn anti and aniso on.
>
> I'd like to see what CPU he has - if he is trying to run it on a 1700 or
> something maybe that is the problem.
>
> Tom

CPU limited. You can confirm this by turning down the resolution to
something low like 800x600. Most likely the framerate will stay the same.

Does FS2004 have a plug-in to take advantage of dual-core CPUs or
HyperThreading?

"Rand Al'Thor" <randalthor@wheeloftime.ie> wrote in message
>I thought this would be the card to beat the complex Heathrow +
>
> 100% Ultimate Traffic + real weather setup in FS2004. My 9800 Pro
>
> got about 6-8 FPS in that situation. Guess what - after spending my
>
> hard earnt dosh (£325) on this new card - my FPS is the same
>
> 6-8FPS! I can't believe it, this card is supposed to be mega
>
> compared to the 9800Pro.
>
> 1. I've checked that 8x AGP is on
> 2. I used ATI unistaller to make sure system clear b4 installing
>
> 5.7 drivers
> 3. I ran 3DMark05 and got 5699 score (about 3x my 9800 Pro)
> 4. I had made sure fs9.cfg showed my new card
> 5. Checked dxdiag and yes, all acceleration is on
>
> So, what gives? After flying various places I notice no difference
>
> between 9800 Pro and the X850XT, if I had to say then the 9800 Pro
>
> has the edge!
>
> Anyone got any advice for me?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan
>
> SYSTEM:
> Radeon X850XT graphics
> Intel P4 3.2Mhz proc
> 1Gb Corsair xms3200 DDR400 ram
> Intel D865GLC mobo

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Timothy J. Walters" <tjw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> his post says p4 3.2

Well there is the problem - that's not an athlon ;)

JK - I should read these posts more thoroughly

Tom

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

How can that be?
>> SYSTEM:
>> Radeon X850XT graphics
>> Intel P4 3.2Mhz proc
>> 1Gb Corsair xms3200 DDR400 ram
>> Intel D865GLC mobo

DaveL

"C16" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Guess its CPU limited. As the benchmark shows the card is capable of 3
> times the performance of your old card, but only if the game can handle
> that as well.

Thanks for all your replies.

MS flight sim has been limited by CPU power in the past. The current version
has been discussed on the forums as being more graphical when it comes to
upgrading. This was amazingly so when I went from a 9500Pro to the 9800Pro,
seeing almost a doubling in frame rate. I think my problem is that the
X850XT (relating to FS2004 only) is too demanding on my system and therefore
the non-increase in frame rate. The proccessor has to deal with a lot of
world calculations peculiar to FS2004.

In answer to Tom's post: are you using Gary's UK2000 Heathrow 2004 airport?
This is an incredibly complex rendition of Heathrow + the airport full of
planes and real time weather would be PC breaking fare.

Having said this, all other game software I can play flat out (including
Doom3 - Res expansion 1280x1024 all bells and whistles) very smoothly
indeed.

Alan

That's why my 3GHz P4 AGP system will stay with a 9800Pro ,
And any X8xx series card will go into my 3800 Athlon64 PCIe system.

Any "slower" older systems won't take full advantage of newer video tech.

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> How can that be?
>>> SYSTEM:
>>> Radeon X850XT graphics
>>> Intel P4 3.2Mhz proc
>>> 1Gb Corsair xms3200 DDR400 ram
>>> Intel D865GLC mobo
>
> DaveL
>
> "C16" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Guess its CPU limited. As the benchmark shows the card is capable of 3
>> times the performance of your old card, but only if the game can handle
>> that as well.

3.2 MHz. I think my IBM XT with an *AMD* 8088 processor is faster... it even
has a discrete video card.