New ati card x700 series z-buffer compression up to 48:1

New ati card x700 series z-buffer compression up to 48:1

I ask this because in the catalyst control center In the api specific
there is a place that is empty and it say "force 24 z-buffer". and
nothing else. Why this is not 48?

On the ati web site it say this
HyperZ™ HD
3-level Hierarchical Z-Buffer with Early Z Test
Lossless Z-Buffer Compression (up to 48:1)
Fast Z-Buffer Clear
Z Cache optimized for real-time shadow rendering
Optimized for performance at high display resolutions, including wide
screen HDTV resolutions

im i missing somthing?

"DDC" <whatsnow@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> I ask this because in the catalyst control center In the api specific
> there is a place that is empty and it say "force 24 z-buffer". and
> nothing else. Why this is not 48?

It should've said "force 24-*bit* z-buffer". 24-bit denotes the precision of
the depth values stored in the Z-buffer. It is not directly related to the
48:1 compression ratio.

> Lossless Z-Buffer Compression (up to 48:1)

This feature has been around since the Geforce3 days.

ATi cards need to start supporting the W-buffer, which serves the same
function as the Z-buffer, but is in floating point and distributes the
precision much more evenly across the depth range. 3dfx "invented" it in the
Voodoo1. Every nVidia card has it.

First of One wrote:

> ATi cards need to start supporting the W-buffer, which serves the same
> function as the Z-buffer, but is in floating point and distributes the
> precision much more evenly across the depth range. 3dfx "invented" it
> in the Voodoo1. Every nVidia card has it.

Many ATi tweakprograms (for instance, Rage3D Tweak from www.rage3d.com)
offer an option to enable W-buffer. Further more, it still needs application
support so if a game doesn't support it, it won't be used.

=- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 20:25:55 +0200, "Brian Dickens"
<newsgroups@(remove-this)briandickens.demon.nl> wrote:

>First of One wrote:
>
>> ATi cards need to start supporting the W-buffer, which serves the same
>> function as the Z-buffer, but is in floating point and distributes the
>> precision much more evenly across the depth range. 3dfx "invented" it
>> in the Voodoo1. Every nVidia card has it.
>
>Many ATi tweakprograms (for instance, Rage3D Tweak from www.rage3d.com)
>offer an option to enable W-buffer. Further more, it still needs application
>support so if a game doesn't support it, it won't be used.
>
> =- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands

Thank you for the info.
I see that Overclocking is the major boost in 3d application and i'm
not ready to go for it. But the tweak you refer seems to be something
that i could go for but this function is hidden and i cant find the
program revel it.

But i've find THAT http://www.pgware.com/products/gameboost/
I will try this and see what it does.

a+

Yeah, saw that in Rage3D Tweak, too. However, it doesn't mean the
appropriate registry key is still present in modern drivers.

"Brian Dickens" <newsgroups@(remove-this)briandickens.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:11fa05bao6j6t23@corp.supernews.com...