copy recent updates to CD?

When the most recent batch of Windows updates became available about ten
days ago, I downloaded them to my desktop. However, my son was negligent
in downloading them to his laptop. In light of the most recent worm
outbreak, I am wondering if it is wise to attempt to do it now, or will his
laptop get infested with the worm while updating?

I thought about copying the updates to a CD so he could download them
without an internet connection. I'm not sure if this is a wise thing to
do.

He has XP Pro on his laptop; I have XP Home.

Your advice is appreciated.

behemoth
6 answers Last reply
More about copy recent updates

    He should go directly to the download site below, and download the most
    recent updated version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal
    Tool (apparently not available from Windows Update yet). Then go directly to
    IE "Tools" and find "Windows Update" and dowload his updates. He should have
    not chance of infection if he does this before doing any browsing, emailing
    etc.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en

    Geronimo

    "behemoth" wrote:

    > When the most recent batch of Windows updates became available about ten
    > days ago, I downloaded them to my desktop. However, my son was negligent
    > in downloading them to his laptop. In light of the most recent worm
    > outbreak, I am wondering if it is wise to attempt to do it now, or will his
    > laptop get infested with the worm while updating?
    >
    > I thought about copying the updates to a CD so he could download them
    > without an internet connection. I'm not sure if this is a wise thing to
    > do.
    >
    > He has XP Pro on his laptop; I have XP Home.
    >
    > Your advice is appreciated.
    >
    > behemoth

    excuse me but........that tool only removes what it finds on your system it
    does NOT inoculate you against malware/worms/whatever.
    Get your son to go to the XP update site and do the scan for updates.The
    newest worm is a threat to XP but if you have kept it updated regularly the
    threat is slight.
    Dont forget to also update your anti virus software regularly.
    peterk

    "Geronimo" <Geronimo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > He should go directly to the download site below, and download the most
    > recent updated version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal
    > Tool (apparently not available from Windows Update yet). Then go directly
    > IE "Tools" and find "Windows Update" and dowload his updates. He should
    > have
    > not chance of infection if he does this before doing any browsing,
    > emailing
    > etc.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en
    >
    > Geronimo
    >
    > "behemoth" wrote:
    >
    >> When the most recent batch of Windows updates became available about ten
    >> days ago, I downloaded them to my desktop. However, my son was
    >> negligent
    >> in downloading them to his laptop. In light of the most recent worm
    >> outbreak, I am wondering if it is wise to attempt to do it now, or will
    >> his
    >> laptop get infested with the worm while updating?
    >>
    >> I thought about copying the updates to a CD so he could download them
    >> without an internet connection. I'm not sure if this is a wise thing
    >> do.
    >>
    >> He has XP Pro on his laptop; I have XP Home.
    >>
    >> Your advice is appreciated.
    >>
    >> behemoth

    Thanks. We'll do what you suggested.

    behemoth

    "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
    > excuse me but........that tool only removes what it finds on your system
    > it does NOT inoculate you against malware/worms/whatever.
    > Get your son to go to the XP update site and do the scan for updates.The
    > newest worm is a threat to XP but if you have kept it updated regularly
    > the threat is slight.
    > Dont forget to also update your anti virus software regularly.
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    > "Geronimo" <Geronimo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> He should go directly to the download site below, and download the most
    >> recent updated version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software
    >> Removal
    >> Tool (apparently not available from Windows Update yet). Then go directly
    >> IE "Tools" and find "Windows Update" and dowload his updates. He should
    >> have
    >> not chance of infection if he does this before doing any browsing,
    >> emailing
    >> etc.
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en
    >>
    >> Geronimo
    >>
    >> "behemoth" wrote:
    >>
    >>> When the most recent batch of Windows updates became available about
    >>> ten
    >>> days ago, I downloaded them to my desktop. However, my son was
    >>> negligent
    >>> in downloading them to his laptop. In light of the most recent worm
    >>> outbreak, I am wondering if it is wise to attempt to do it now, or will
    >>> his
    >>> laptop get infested with the worm while updating?
    >>>
    >>> I thought about copying the updates to a CD so he could download them
    >>> without an internet connection. I'm not sure if this is a wise thing
    >>> do.
    >>>
    >>> He has XP Pro on his laptop; I have XP Home.
    >>>
    >>> Your advice is appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> behemoth

    Excuse me, but you should read the whole reply before commenting. By using
    that tool first, if he is already infected, his system has a better chance of
    not being corrupted when he goes for updates. That is why I suggested the
    Malware tool before the updates.

    "peterk" wrote:

    > excuse me but........that tool only removes what it finds on your system it
    > does NOT inoculate you against malware/worms/whatever.
    > Get your son to go to the XP update site and do the scan for updates.The
    > newest worm is a threat to XP but if you have kept it updated regularly the
    > threat is slight.
    > Dont forget to also update your anti virus software regularly.
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    > "Geronimo" <Geronimo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > He should go directly to the download site below, and download the most
    > > recent updated version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal
    > > Tool (apparently not available from Windows Update yet). Then go directly
    > > IE "Tools" and find "Windows Update" and dowload his updates. He should
    > > have
    > > not chance of infection if he does this before doing any browsing,
    > > emailing
    > > etc.
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en
    > >
    > > Geronimo
    > >
    > > "behemoth" wrote:
    > >
    > >> When the most recent batch of Windows updates became available about ten
    > >> days ago, I downloaded them to my desktop. However, my son was
    > >> negligent
    > >> in downloading them to his laptop. In light of the most recent worm
    > >> outbreak, I am wondering if it is wise to attempt to do it now, or will
    > >> his
    > >> laptop get infested with the worm while updating?
    > >>
    > >> I thought about copying the updates to a CD so he could download them
    > >> without an internet connection. I'm not sure if this is a wise thing
    > >> do.
    > >>
    > >> He has XP Pro on his laptop; I have XP Home.
    > >>
    > >> Your advice is appreciated.
    > >>
    > >> behemoth

    If I misunderstood your reply I apologise........but if you read your reply
    do you get the impression that it hints at inoculation especially after that
    last line???
    I did
    ..........and maybe he did too??

    > Excuse me, but you should read the whole reply before commenting. By using
    > that tool first, if he is already infected, his system has a better chance
    > of
    > not being corrupted when he goes for updates. That is why I suggested the
    > Malware tool before the updates.
    >
    > "peterk" wrote:
    >
    >> excuse me but........that tool only removes what it finds on your system
    >> it
    >> does NOT inoculate you against malware/worms/whatever.
    >> Get your son to go to the XP update site and do the scan for updates.The
    >> newest worm is a threat to XP but if you have kept it updated regularly
    >> the
    >> threat is slight.
    >> Dont forget to also update your anti virus software regularly.
    >> peterk
    >>
    >> --
    >> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    >> "Geronimo" <Geronimo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > He should go directly to the download site below, and download the most
    >> > recent updated version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software
    >> > Removal
    >> > Tool (apparently not available from Windows Update yet). Then go
    >> > directly
    >> > IE "Tools" and find "Windows Update" and dowload his updates. He should
    >> > have
    >> > not chance of infection if he does this before doing any browsing,
    >> > emailing
    >> > etc.
    >> >
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en
    >> >
    >> > Geronimo

    I accept your appology, and I guess some misunderstanding is inevitable, but
    I did not say anything would inoculate his computer. I was refering to using
    safe computing. If he went directly to a safe and known source of cleaning
    tools and updates before visiting any other web sites, he should not risk
    infection in getting his updates. Your advice to keep antiviral software
    updated is also very important.

    On another note: Behemoth's original question was whether he could transfer
    updates saved to a disk from his computer. I don't think this is possible,
    but I also think it unwise. You may cause more problems than you are
    preventing by taking this route. The update system works well, and I would
    stick with it. However, I would check their update site manually at least
    once a week, because you will find more there than through the automatic
    update notification system. The most notable is the Malicious software
    removeal tool I mentioned in my first reply. Also, you can get advance notice
    of updates and other tips by subscribing to Microsoft's newsletters:
    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3845443

Laptops Windows XP