copy recent updates to CD?

August 18, 2005 9:46:31 PM

When the most recent batch of Windows updates became available about ten
days ago, I downloaded them to my desktop. However, my son was negligent
in downloading them to his laptop. In light of the most recent worm
outbreak, I am wondering if it is wise to attempt to do it now, or will his
laptop get infested with the worm while updating?

I thought about copying the updates to a CD so he could download them
without an internet connection. I'm not sure if this is a wise thing to
do.

He has XP Pro on his laptop; I have XP Home.

Your advice is appreciated.

behemoth

More about : copy recent updates

August 18, 2005 11:42:03 PM

He should go directly to the download site below, and download the most
recent updated version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal
Tool (apparently not available from Windows Update yet). Then go directly to
IE "Tools" and find "Windows Update" and dowload his updates. He should have
not chance of infection if he does this before doing any browsing, emailing
etc.

Geronimo

"behemoth" wrote:

> When the most recent batch of Windows updates became available about ten
> days ago, I downloaded them to my desktop. However, my son was negligent
> in downloading them to his laptop. In light of the most recent worm
> outbreak, I am wondering if it is wise to attempt to do it now, or will his
> laptop get infested with the worm while updating?
>
> I thought about copying the updates to a CD so he could download them
> without an internet connection. I'm not sure if this is a wise thing to
> do.
>
> He has XP Pro on his laptop; I have XP Home.
>
> Your advice is appreciated.
>
> behemoth

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 19, 2005 12:52:37 AM

excuse me but........that tool only removes what it finds on your system it
does NOT inoculate you against malware/worms/whatever.
Get your son to go to the XP update site and do the scan for updates.The
newest worm is a threat to XP but if you have kept it updated regularly the
threat is slight.
Dont forget to also update your anti virus software regularly.
peterk

"Geronimo" <Geronimo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> He should go directly to the download site below, and download the most
> recent updated version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal
> Tool (apparently not available from Windows Update yet). Then go directly
> IE "Tools" and find "Windows Update" and dowload his updates. He should
> have
> not chance of infection if he does this before doing any browsing,
> emailing
> etc.

> Geronimo
>
> "behemoth" wrote:
>
>> When the most recent batch of Windows updates became available about ten
>> days ago, I downloaded them to my desktop. However, my son was
>> negligent
>> in downloading them to his laptop. In light of the most recent worm
>> outbreak, I am wondering if it is wise to attempt to do it now, or will
>> his
>> laptop get infested with the worm while updating?
>>
>> I thought about copying the updates to a CD so he could download them
>> without an internet connection. I'm not sure if this is a wise thing
>> do.
>>
>> He has XP Pro on his laptop; I have XP Home.
>>
>> Your advice is appreciated.
>>
>> behemoth

Related resources
August 19, 2005 3:21:21 PM

Thanks. We'll do what you suggested.

behemoth

"peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
> excuse me but........that tool only removes what it finds on your system
> it does NOT inoculate you against malware/worms/whatever.
> Get your son to go to the XP update site and do the scan for updates.The
> newest worm is a threat to XP but if you have kept it updated regularly
> the threat is slight.
> Dont forget to also update your anti virus software regularly.
> peterk
>
> --
> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
> "Geronimo" <Geronimo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> He should go directly to the download site below, and download the most
>> recent updated version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software
>> Removal
>> Tool (apparently not available from Windows Update yet). Then go directly
>> IE "Tools" and find "Windows Update" and dowload his updates. He should
>> have
>> not chance of infection if he does this before doing any browsing,
>> emailing
>> etc.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>>
>> Geronimo
>>
>> "behemoth" wrote:
>>
>>> When the most recent batch of Windows updates became available about
>>> ten
>>> days ago, I downloaded them to my desktop. However, my son was
>>> negligent
>>> in downloading them to his laptop. In light of the most recent worm
>>> outbreak, I am wondering if it is wise to attempt to do it now, or will
>>> his
>>> laptop get infested with the worm while updating?
>>>
>>> I thought about copying the updates to a CD so he could download them
>>> without an internet connection. I'm not sure if this is a wise thing
>>> do.
>>>
>>> He has XP Pro on his laptop; I have XP Home.
>>>
>>> Your advice is appreciated.
>>>
>>> behemoth

August 19, 2005 10:25:01 PM

Excuse me, but you should read the whole reply before commenting. By using
that tool first, if he is already infected, his system has a better chance of
not being corrupted when he goes for updates. That is why I suggested the
Malware tool before the updates.

"peterk" wrote:

> excuse me but........that tool only removes what it finds on your system it
> does NOT inoculate you against malware/worms/whatever.
> Get your son to go to the XP update site and do the scan for updates.The
> newest worm is a threat to XP but if you have kept it updated regularly the
> threat is slight.
> Dont forget to also update your anti virus software regularly.
> peterk
>
> --
> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
> "Geronimo" <Geronimo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > He should go directly to the download site below, and download the most
> > recent updated version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal
> > Tool (apparently not available from Windows Update yet). Then go directly
> > IE "Tools" and find "Windows Update" and dowload his updates. He should
> > have
> > not chance of infection if he does this before doing any browsing,
> > emailing
> > etc.
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
> >
> > Geronimo
> >
> > "behemoth" wrote:
> >
> >> When the most recent batch of Windows updates became available about ten
> >> days ago, I downloaded them to my desktop. However, my son was
> >> negligent
> >> in downloading them to his laptop. In light of the most recent worm
> >> outbreak, I am wondering if it is wise to attempt to do it now, or will
> >> his
> >> laptop get infested with the worm while updating?
> >>
> >> I thought about copying the updates to a CD so he could download them
> >> without an internet connection. I'm not sure if this is a wise thing
> >> do.
> >>
> >> He has XP Pro on his laptop; I have XP Home.
> >>
> >> Your advice is appreciated.
> >>
> >> behemoth

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 19, 2005 11:53:03 PM

If I misunderstood your reply I apologise........but if you read your reply
do you get the impression that it hints at inoculation especially after that
last line???
I did
..........and maybe he did too??

> Excuse me, but you should read the whole reply before commenting. By using
> that tool first, if he is already infected, his system has a better chance
> of
> not being corrupted when he goes for updates. That is why I suggested the
> Malware tool before the updates.
>
> "peterk" wrote:
>
>> excuse me but........that tool only removes what it finds on your system
>> it
>> does NOT inoculate you against malware/worms/whatever.
>> Get your son to go to the XP update site and do the scan for updates.The
>> newest worm is a threat to XP but if you have kept it updated regularly
>> the
>> threat is slight.
>> Dont forget to also update your anti virus software regularly.
>> peterk
>>
>> --
>> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
>> "Geronimo" <Geronimo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > He should go directly to the download site below, and download the most
>> > recent updated version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software
>> > Removal
>> > Tool (apparently not available from Windows Update yet). Then go
>> > directly
>> > IE "Tools" and find "Windows Update" and dowload his updates. He should
>> > have
>> > not chance of infection if he does this before doing any browsing,
>> > emailing
>> > etc.
>> >
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>> >
>> > Geronimo

August 20, 2005 11:45:05 PM

I accept your appology, and I guess some misunderstanding is inevitable, but
I did not say anything would inoculate his computer. I was refering to using
safe computing. If he went directly to a safe and known source of cleaning
tools and updates before visiting any other web sites, he should not risk
infection in getting his updates. Your advice to keep antiviral software
updated is also very important.

On another note: Behemoth's original question was whether he could transfer
updates saved to a disk from his computer. I don't think this is possible,
but I also think it unwise. You may cause more problems than you are
preventing by taking this route. The update system works well, and I would
stick with it. However, I would check their update site manually at least
once a week, because you will find more there than through the automatic
update notification system. The most notable is the Malicious software
removeal tool I mentioned in my first reply. Also, you can get advance notice
of updates and other tips by subscribing to Microsoft's newsletters:
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3845443

!