T-Mobile to cingular

Last response: in Network Providers
May 25, 2004 9:49:40 AM

I have a Nokia 3650 on T-Mobile. It sees Cingular and attws fine in my
basemet but can't roam on either one not suprisingly. T-Mobile in my
house is a bit of a chore involving an upstairs window and bluetooth.
The downstairs basemet is a long reach. I would like to unlock my phone
and see about taking it to cingular to get service. Will they just give
me a SIM and service in a store or will they require I buy a phone?

More about : mobile cingular

Anonymous
May 25, 2004 5:10:58 PM

>Will they just give
>me a SIM and service in a store or will they require I buy a phone?

You can buy just a SIM. I think that they are $25 plus activation. But I am
sure that someone will ocrrect the price if I am mistaking.

--
John S.
May 25, 2004 10:45:19 PM

John S. <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree> wrote:
> >Will they just give
> >me a SIM and service in a store or will they require I buy a phone?

> You can buy just a SIM. I think that they are $25 plus activation. But I am
> sure that someone will ocrrect the price if I am mistaking.

I would be looking at signing a two-year I assume... So assuming they
will activate on postpaid with just a SIM, I'd be looking at what paying
the first month including activation out the door. When one signs up
online they only require one to pay for the phone. But I don't want to
have to buy a new one if I don't have to. Due to a bit of run around
from an authorized agent, I had to pay full price + $30 for my still
locked (very likely) 3650 from T-Mobile. So....:)  But anyway, there is
a cingular signal in all parts of my house. I also use the T-Mobile
Internet usually at least 30 megs...50 last nonth and more then that
this month. It doesn't give me joy to pay $74.99 for unlimited but I
will if they insist on requireing it....
May 25, 2004 10:45:20 PM

In article <2hhihvFchqr1U1@uni-berlin.de>,
"Mark E. Daniel" <mark@atarimax.com> wrote:

> John S. <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree> wrote:
> > >Will they just give
> > >me a SIM and service in a store or will they require I buy a phone?
>
> > You can buy just a SIM. I think that they are $25 plus activation. But I am
> > sure that someone will ocrrect the price if I am mistaking.
>
> I would be looking at signing a two-year I assume... So assuming they
> will activate on postpaid with just a SIM, I'd be looking at what paying
> the first month including activation out the door. When one signs up
> online they only require one to pay for the phone. But I don't want to
> have to buy a new one if I don't have to. Due to a bit of run around
> from an authorized agent, I had to pay full price + $30 for my still
> locked (very likely) 3650 from T-Mobile. So....:)  But anyway, there is
> a cingular signal in all parts of my house. I also use the T-Mobile
> Internet usually at least 30 megs...50 last nonth and more then that
> this month. It doesn't give me joy to pay $74.99 for unlimited but I
> will if they insist on requireing it....

No, month to month contract. If you call Cingular they will swear they
won't do month to month, but if you go to a Cingular store (not an
affiliate) they'll hook you up with month to month - I just did this 3
months ago using my Nokia 6610 from T-Mobile.
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 8:07:34 AM

David Heronemus <upyoursspam@hotmail.com> wrote:
> affiliate) they'll hook you up with month to month - I just did this 3
> months ago using my Nokia 6610 from T-Mobile.

Thanks for the replies John and David. Much appreciated.
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 8:52:45 PM

Please note that the Nokia 3650 is a GSM tri band phone supporting the
GSM 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz bands. Of the bands supported by this phone,
only the 1900 band is available in the US. Cingular has both 850 MHz &
1900 MHz GSM deployments in the US. Assuming you are able to unlock
this phone (TM may do this if you tell them you are traveling
overseas), it would not be able to take advantage of the full coverage
of a Cingular Nation GSM plan. Since you see Cingular in your home,
this implies that Cingular has 1900 MHz coverage and you may be OK
with a local plan.

Good Luck!
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 4:18:45 AM

Mach XS1 <machXS1@comcast.net> wrote:
> Please note that the Nokia 3650 is a GSM tri band phone supporting the
> GSM 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz bands. Of the bands supported by this phone,
> only the 1900 band is available in the US. Cingular has both 850 MHz &
> 1900 MHz GSM deployments in the US. Assuming you are able to unlock
> this phone (TM may do this if you tell them you are traveling
> overseas), it would not be able to take advantage of the full coverage
> of a Cingular Nation GSM plan. Since you see Cingular in your home,
> this implies that Cingular has 1900 MHz coverage and you may be OK
> with a local plan.

I don't roam much....If ever. Although to be honest it would be nice if
the phone worked when I did. I've checked and I could get a 3600 online
from Cingular... All my 3650 stuff would likely work with it and then I
would have full coverage. I already have the software that has given me
the unlock codes for my 3650, though I have yet to try them. A friend
did on his and he told me it said "Phone lock removed". Hmmm. I was
going to choose a Cingular nation plan at 56.99 for 600 and 7pm.
Although it's a bit frightening.... I have used 89 or so texts on
T-Mobile so far this month.
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 4:21:50 AM

The other fear I have with Cingular is my GPRS usage...It';s about 68.5
mb at this point in the month. I have been using gameday audio a lot.
I like T-Mobiule's unlimited data at 19.99/month. sigh.
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 11:25:40 AM

"Mark E. Daniel" <mark@atarimax.com> wrote in message news:<2hnf0uFed546U2@uni-berlin.de>...
> The other fear I have with Cingular is my GPRS usage...It';s about 68.5
> mb at this point in the month. I have been using gameday audio a lot.
> I like T-Mobiule's unlimited data at 19.99/month. sigh.

FYI, the Cingular MEdia Works package is $19.99/month & includes
Unlimited Wireless Internet Express (aka GPRS) as well as a boat load
of SMS/MMS. This is currently a promotional package which requires you
to sign up by 7/11/04.

The only concern I would have is with compatibility with the Cingular
GPRS network..
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 7:54:46 AM

Mach XS1 <machXS1@comcast.net> wrote:
> FYI, the Cingular MEdia Works package is $19.99/month & includes
> Unlimited Wireless Internet Express (aka GPRS) as well as a boat load
> of SMS/MMS. This is currently a promotional package which requires you
> to sign up by 7/11/04.

> The only concern I would have is with compatibility with the Cingular
> GPRS network..

Isn't GPRS all the same? If the phone can register with Cingular on
either 1900 (my 3650 can *see* cingular everywhere in the house, even
when it's blind to T-Mobile) I have read on phonescoop about GPRS types
(x+y GPRS) but I need to do more reading to understand the different
types...Here I can almost be ceartain that Cingular and AT&T are on 1900
MHz...My 3650 can see them both. I am in Akron, Ohio.
!