how to quickly gain admin priviledge to make changes?

For security, I started to run mostly in a limited user account. Once or
twice a day, I need to make some changes that require admin priviledge.

It is a pain to close all programs, log off, log in as admin, make the
change, log off, then log in again as limited user.

Is there a quicker way?
5 answers Last reply
More about quickly gain admin priviledge make changes

    In news:u0fbK5GpFHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    peter <nospam@nospam.com> typed:
    > For security, I started to run mostly in a limited user account. Once
    > or twice a day, I need to make some changes that require admin
    > priviledge.
    > It is a pain to close all programs, log off, log in as admin, make the
    > change, log off, then log in again as limited user.
    >
    > Is there a quicker way?

    You might be able to perform some tasks using RunAs, or you can use Switch
    Users (if you aren't using the classic login interface).

    Hi Peter,

    I understand you want you want to switch to user with administrative
    privilege from a limited user account. If I have misunderstood your
    concern, please feel free to correct me.

    Based on my experience, we cannot grand some administrative rights to a
    limited account. We can only change a limited account to be a computer
    administrator. However, for security purpose, I know you mostly start to
    run in a limited user account and you want to change something which
    requires administrator privilege. I am unclear that what you need to
    change, whereas I think you may attempt to use the Fast User Switching
    Feature.

    To enable Fast User Switching:
    -------------------------

    Note: To enable Fast User Switching, you must also enable the "Use the
    Welcome screen" option. This feature cannot be used if your computer is a
    member of a domain.

    1. Log on to the computer as an administrator.

    2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.

    3. Click Change the way users log on or off.

    4. If it is not already selected, click to select the Use the Welcome
    screen check box. NOTE: The Use Fast User Switching check box is
    unavailable until you click to select the Use the Welcome screen check box.

    5. Click to select the Use Fast User Switching check box, and then click
    Apply Options. Quit the User Accounts tool.

    For more detailed information, please refer to the following article:
    279765 How To Use the Fast User Switching Feature in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279765

    Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
    feel free to let me know.

    Thanks & Regards,

    Jason Tan

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | From: "peter" <nospam@nospam.com>
    | Subject: how to quickly gain admin priviledge to make changes?
    | Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:29:58 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
    |
    | For security, I started to run mostly in a limited user account. Once or
    | twice a day, I need to make some changes that require admin priviledge.
    |
    | It is a pain to close all programs, log off, log in as admin, make the
    | change, log off, then log in again as limited user.
    |
    | Is there a quicker way?

    Is there a way to have something like the run as feature read the admin
    password from an encypted file or is there some type of batch file we could
    execute to install an specific application? We do not want to give users the
    admin passwords.
    "Jason Tan (MSFT)" <v-jasont@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Peter,
    >
    > I understand you want you want to switch to user with administrative
    > privilege from a limited user account. If I have misunderstood your
    > concern, please feel free to correct me.
    >
    > Based on my experience, we cannot grand some administrative rights to a
    > limited account. We can only change a limited account to be a computer
    > administrator. However, for security purpose, I know you mostly start to
    > run in a limited user account and you want to change something which
    > requires administrator privilege. I am unclear that what you need to
    > change, whereas I think you may attempt to use the Fast User Switching
    > Feature.
    >
    > To enable Fast User Switching:
    > -------------------------
    >
    > Note: To enable Fast User Switching, you must also enable the "Use the
    > Welcome screen" option. This feature cannot be used if your computer is a
    > member of a domain.
    >
    > 1. Log on to the computer as an administrator.
    >
    > 2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.
    >
    > 3. Click Change the way users log on or off.
    >
    > 4. If it is not already selected, click to select the Use the Welcome
    > screen check box. NOTE: The Use Fast User Switching check box is
    > unavailable until you click to select the Use the Welcome screen check
    > box.
    >
    > 5. Click to select the Use Fast User Switching check box, and then click
    > Apply Options. Quit the User Accounts tool.
    >
    > For more detailed information, please refer to the following article:
    > 279765 How To Use the Fast User Switching Feature in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279765
    >
    > Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
    > feel free to let me know.
    >
    > Thanks & Regards,
    >
    > Jason Tan
    >
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    > rights.
    >

    > --------------------
    > | From: "peter" <nospam@nospam.com>
    > | Subject: how to quickly gain admin priviledge to make changes?
    > | Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:29:58 -0700
    > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
    > |
    > | For security, I started to run mostly in a limited user account. Once or
    > | twice a day, I need to make some changes that require admin priviledge.
    > |
    > | It is a pain to close all programs, log off, log in as admin, make the
    > | change, log off, then log in again as limited user.
    > |
    > | Is there a quicker way?

    Are you using XP Home or Pro?

    Jake Smythe wrote:

    > Is there a way to have something like the run as feature read
    > the admin password from an encypted file or is there some type
    > of batch file we could execute to install an specific
    > application? We do not want to give users the admin passwords.
    Hi,

    Different RunAs products listed here, some free and some not, some
    with encryption option for the password as well:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=3FE0B42C.773CA875%40hydro.com

    Other ones not mentioned in the link above:

    SUperior SU (free, has a command line iterface)
    http://www.stefan-kuhr.de/supsu/main.php3

    Supercrypt (as well as LSrunas/LSrunasE)
    http://www.lansweeper.com/ls/lsrunas.aspx

    Runasspc
    http://www.robotronic.de/runasspcEn.html

    You may also want to check out PolicyMaker Application Security
    (previously NeoExec), the main difference is that it does not require
    the use of a second account, as most other RunAs derivatives requires.

    PolicyMaker Application Security
    http://www.desktopstandard.com/PolicyMakerApplicationSecurity.aspx

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Security Login Windows XP