File permissions on windows xp - home edition

How do I set file permissions on windows xp-home edition? I do not see the
security tab on the folder/file property window.

Thanks.

Gordon

M.V. wrote:
> How do I set file permissions on windows xp-home edition? I do not
> see the security tab on the folder/file property window.
>
> Thanks.

You need to disable simple file sharing which on Home Edition, you can only
do in Safe Mode AFAIK. Also I think you can't set permissions unless you are
in Safe Mode with Home Edition.

snip

>You need to disable simple file sharing which on Home Edition, you can only
>do in Safe Mode AFAIK. Also I think you can't set permissions unless you are
>in Safe Mode with Home Edition.

Hi.

I also have problems setting file permissions, e.g. the 'read-only'
setting for a folder is ticked in grey, it can be changed but when I
look again it is back.

This is making life difficult for me re. folder settings for writing
to files using active server pages under IIS.

I'm using XP Pro. The Help also mentions the security tab which I
can't find. Is Safe Mode the only answer here too?

Thanx.

Daniél Palm
Disability is not inability

"Daniél Palm" <pdp@lando.co.za> wrote in message
> snip
>>
>>You need to disable simple file sharing which on Home Edition, you can
>>only
>>do in Safe Mode AFAIK. Also I think you can't set permissions unless you
>>are
>>in Safe Mode with Home Edition.
>>

> Hi.
>
> I also have problems setting file permissions, e.g. the 'read-only'
> setting for a folder is ticked in grey, it can be changed but when I
> look again it is back.
>
> This is making life difficult for me re. folder settings for writing
> to files using active server pages under IIS.
>
> I'm using XP Pro. The Help also mentions the security tab which I
> can't find. Is Safe Mode the only answer here too?

This is by design. It is cosmetic and usually there is no need to change it.
You can change it with the attrib command if needed. The problem you are
having is probably to do with NTFS or share permissions not folder
attributes.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326549

Kerry

"Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> M.V. wrote:
>> How do I set file permissions on windows xp-home edition? I do not
>> see the security tab on the folder/file property window.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> You need to disable simple file sharing which on Home Edition, you can
> only do in Safe Mode AFAIK. Also I think you can't set permissions unless
> you are in Safe Mode with Home Edition.

Simple file sharing cannot be turned off in Home. You can use safe mode to
access NTFS permissions.

Kerry

"Daniél Palm" <pdp@lando.co.za> wrote in message
> snip
>>
>>You need to disable simple file sharing which on Home Edition, you can only
>>do in Safe Mode AFAIK. Also I think you can't set permissions unless you are
>>in Safe Mode with Home Edition.
>>

> Hi.
>
> I also have problems setting file permissions, e.g. the 'read-only'
> setting for a folder is ticked in grey, it can be changed but when I
> look again it is back.
>
> This is making life difficult for me re. folder settings for writing
> to files using active server pages under IIS.
>
> I'm using XP Pro. The Help also mentions the security tab which I
> can't find. Is Safe Mode the only answer here too?
>
> Thanx.
>
> Daniél Palm
> Disability is not inability

To access the Security Tab in WinXP Pro:-
Go to Control Panel > Folder Options > View and uncheck
"Use Simple File Sharing" and click "Apply".

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 23:54:20 +1000, "TaurArian [MVP]"
<taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote:

snip

>To access the Security Tab in WinXP Pro:-
>Go to Control Panel > Folder Options > View and uncheck
>"Use Simple File Sharing" and click "Apply".

Thanks!

Daniél Palm
Disability is not inability

I am in deep trouble: using Win XP Home SP2, starting up in Safe Mode,
accessing the security tab on my NTFS System/OS partition (C:) I still can
not change folder permissions - which I want to do specifically for
C:\Programs and subsolders - my applications can not write to theire own
folders, because somehow the write prtoection is on for ALL these folders and
subfolders. (I have this annoying grey/green box write lock on all my folders
here.)

I open to the security tab and changed the advanced security permissions for
admins, myself, users and even for anybody (I know this is dangerous, but I'm
simply desperate) to allow ubiquitious access to everything for all folders,
subfolders and files (i.e. I did this for C:, C:\Programs and also tried it
for some subfolders). Still I can not unset the d..n write lock (note this is
in safe mode!)!! Even if I go into the command console, trying to unset
permissions with "attrib -R C:\somepath" or "attrib -R C:\sompath /s /d"
nothing changes at all. (I also made sure I am the owner of all the files by
resetting me as owner for all files in all folders and subfolders)

I am clueless now - what is wrong, how can I otherwise get into the real
Admin mode to change those annoying file access permissions?! Pleas help,
thank you!!

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Simple file sharing cannot be turned off in Home. You can use safe mode to
> access NTFS permissions.

maybe I should add for clarification:
1) the file permissions do change, but the folder permissions stay unchanged
(as described in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326549
concering the attrib command)
2) owners of folders and files now are: Admins, and me (not me alone)
3) it's a regular NTFS partition, with no shares (at least I did not set any
shares...) I am aware of

"Florian Leitner" <Florian Leitner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:A1FA68A4-5448-4567-A9B9-63FAB460CC4D@microsoft.com...
>I am in deep trouble: using Win XP Home SP2, starting up in Safe Mode,
> accessing the security tab on my NTFS System/OS partition (C:) I still can
> not change folder permissions - which I want to do specifically for
> C:\Programs and subsolders - my applications can not write to theire own
> folders, because somehow the write prtoection is on for ALL these folders
> and
> subfolders. (I have this annoying grey/green box write lock on all my
> folders
> here.)
>
> I open to the security tab and changed the advanced security permissions
> for
> admins, myself, users and even for anybody (I know this is dangerous, but
> I'm
> simply desperate) to allow ubiquitious access to everything for all
> folders,
> subfolders and files (i.e. I did this for C:, C:\Programs and also tried
> it
> for some subfolders). Still I can not unset the d..n write lock (note this
> is
> in safe mode!)!! Even if I go into the command console, trying to unset
> permissions with "attrib -R C:\somepath" or "attrib -R C:\sompath /s /d"
> nothing changes at all. (I also made sure I am the owner of all the files
> by
> resetting me as owner for all files in all folders and subfolders)
>
> I am clueless now - what is wrong, how can I otherwise get into the real
> Admin mode to change those annoying file access permissions?! Pleas help,
> thank you!!

Having the folder set for Raed Only does not stop users from
reading/writing/modifying files within the folder as long as they have
appropriate NTFS permissions. Are you sure you have not added the Deny
permission anywhere? Deny takes precedence over everything else. If you deny
a group everyone in that group will be denied even if they are listed as
allowed access as a user or another group.

Kerry

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Having the folder set for Raed Only does not stop users from
> reading/writing/modifying files within the folder as long as they have
> appropriate NTFS permissions. Are you sure you have not added the Deny
> permission anywhere? Deny takes precedence over everything else. If you deny
> a group everyone in that group will be denied even if they are listed as
> allowed access as a user or another group.
>
> Kerry

Usually being paranoid I might have changed something to "deny" but I do not
know where to set such a special "deny" permission as you are writing about?
I still have the problem that I can not always write to the Programs
folders... Thank you!

br,florian

"Florian Leitner" <FlorianLeitner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:96D61C75-8E05-4839-9BEF-D9DEDBB49DC1@microsoft.com...
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> Having the folder set for Raed Only does not stop users from
>> reading/writing/modifying files within the folder as long as they have
>> appropriate NTFS permissions. Are you sure you have not added the Deny
>> permission anywhere? Deny takes precedence over everything else. If you
>> deny
>> a group everyone in that group will be denied even if they are listed as
>> allowed access as a user or another group.
>>
> Usually being paranoid I might have changed something to "deny" but I do
> not
> know where to set such a special "deny" permission as you are writing
> about?
> I still have the problem that I can not always write to the Programs
> folders... Thank you!

The same place you set the NTFS permissions. There are two columns Allow and
Deny.

Kerry