More about blaster worm help urgent

    From: "Perry" <Perry@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | I'm trying rid my computer of this worm/virus but can't. Does anyone know
    | what to do??? I've tried following microsofts instructions on this issue but
    | when I press contro+alt+delete and then click task manager, I don't get a
    | response from the computer. I have no idea how to get to c: prompt from
    | booting. If anyone can tell me what to do, i'de really appreciate it.
    |
    | Perry

    There are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of discussion.

    microsoft.public.security.virus
    alt.comp.virus
    alt.comp.anti-virus

    How do you know that you have the Lovsan/Blaster worm ?

    You have provided no information to show that you have it. You only posted the conclusion
    that you do.

    Assuming you do have it...

    When you get the shutdown message ...

    Go to; Start --> Run
    enter; shutdown -a

    This will halt the shutdown and give you a chance to Download the McAfee worm removal tool,
    Stinger: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ and install the following patch for the
    RPC/RPCSS and DCOM Vulnerabilities that are addressed by Microsoft Security Bulletin
    MS04-012 - KB828741
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828741
    Please read ...
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-012.mspx
    and finally...

    You also need a FireWall.
    If you don't patch the PC and not use a FireWall then you will just be re-infected.

    I also suggest the installation of ALL MS Critical Updates ASAP.

    Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

    http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
    (.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
    simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
    remove
    viruses, Trojans and various other malware.

    way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
    The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

    file.

    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT