How can I play my good old Team Fortress again? Help!

Hi folks

Last time I played Team Fortress was about a year ago. My computer broke
down, then it was the end of it. I recently bought a computer, and installed
my old Half Life and Team Fortress, and launched GameSpy to get connected to
Team Fortress servers, but there are no servers to be found. I read
somewhere that something called steam (whatever that is.!?!?) has to be
installed to play Team Fortress. I installed Steam, but under "my games" in
Steam window, I don't see Team Fortress. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

"Ryan Atici" wrote

> Last time I played Team Fortress was about a year ago. My computer broke
> down, then it was the end of it. I recently bought a computer, and
> installed my old Half Life and Team Fortress, and launched GameSpy to get
> connected to Team Fortress servers, but there are no servers to be found.
> I read somewhere that something called steam (whatever that is.!?!?) has
> to be installed to play Team Fortress. I installed Steam, but under "my
> games" in Steam window, I don't see Team Fortress. Your help is greatly
> appreciated.

Yeah as mentioned so kindly you have to install Steam in order to connect to
MP servers
(You could still do a LAN game though, but that's another story)

I wonder
Do you have HL1 as an option in play games?
What games is available from the Steam menu?

I have Team Fortress Classic as an option in my menu

Also some details and specifics on how you installed Steam etc would be nice
Makes it a lot easier to "guess" what went wrong and correct the situation
:)

rgds/Peter

"Ryan Atici" <Ryan_Atici@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks

> Last time I played Team Fortress was about a year ago. My computer broke
> down, then it was the end of it. I recently bought a computer, and installed
> my old Half Life and Team Fortress, and launched GameSpy to get connected to
> Team Fortress servers, but there are no servers to be found. I read
> somewhere that something called steam (whatever that is.!?!?) has to be
> installed to play Team Fortress. I installed Steam, but under "my games" in
> Steam window, I don't see Team Fortress. Your help is greatly appreciated.

If you have the games installed pre-Steam, go to "Browse Games" in
the Steam menu, and click "Register a product I already own." Steam
will take you from there.

I learned this in a.g.h-l, btw, not from steampowered.com, which for
the most part I have found poorly organized and short on answers.
So don't mind GFree.

"GFree" <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> wrote
> I just assumed that people with an
> interest in HL-based multiplayer would be...

Yeah, but the OP said he hadn't played it for ages. He also
said his computer had broke down. He has only just bought
a new computer. He also said he had installed Steam and was
only asking for advice about installing TFC.

> Ahh forget it.

Yeah, forget it;)
--
David
davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com

shawk

David Firewater wrote:
> Yeah, but the OP said he hadn't played it for ages. He also
> said his computer had broke down. He has only just bought
> a new computer. He also said he had installed Steam and was
> only asking for advice about installing TFC.

They say great minds think alike... :)

--
"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our weapon is
surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are

rl

There is a way to play old HL games under steam still.

These are my instructions for getting an old version of Day of Defeat mod:

1. Start a Half-Life game (not mod) in Steam
This will create the folder C:\Steam\SteamApps\your email\half-life

2. Copy/install DOD beta 3.1 into this Half-Life folder
C:\Steam\SteamApps\your email\half-life\dod\

3. Rename the folder to "dod_31".
So now you should have
C:\Steam\SteamApps\your email\half-life\dod_31\maps

4. In the Steam "Play Games" window, you will see at the bottom "THIRD PARTY
GAMES".

5. Start "Day of Defeat".

"Ryan Atici" <Ryan_Atici@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks
>

> Last time I played Team Fortress was about a year ago. My computer broke
> down, then it was the end of it. I recently bought a computer, and
> installed my old Half Life and Team Fortress, and launched GameSpy to get
> connected to Team Fortress servers, but there are no servers to be found.
> I read somewhere that something called steam (whatever that is.!?!?) has
> to be installed to play Team Fortress. I installed Steam, but under "my
> games" in Steam window, I don't see Team Fortress. Your help is greatly
> appreciated.
>

> Thanks.

"RL" wrote

> These are my instructions for getting an old version of Day of Defeat mod:

Excellent receipt :)

- Peter

Civilian_Target wrote:
> Pot! Kettle! BLACK!

Somehow I've gotton to 22 without ever knowing what the phrase meant
(even though I've heard it said many times). WTF does it mean?

shawk

GFree wrote:
> Civilian_Target wrote:
>
>> Pot! Kettle! BLACK!
>

> Somehow I've gotton to 22 without ever knowing what the phrase meant
> (even though I've heard it said many times). WTF does it mean?

They are 'both' black (or were when the idiom came about). Work it out
from there.

--

GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> typed as if devouring a plate of spoo:
> EvilBill wrote:
>>
>> Exactly, it'd be like Tony Blair calling someone a liar. ;)
>
> Yeah, well... You can bash your leaders all you want, but with the US,
> Britan and even Australia (where I live), we still for some reason
> decide to re-elect these bastards even when we know how hypocritical
> they are.

Well I for one never voted for B-Liar...

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)

>If you have the games installed pre-Steam, go to "Browse Games" in
>the Steam menu, and click "Register a product I already own." Steam
>will take you from there.
>
>I learned this in a.g.h-l, btw, not from steampowered.com, which for
>the most part I have found poorly organized and short on answers.
>So don't mind GFree.

I downloaded Steam and did full installation. The Steam file I downloaded
was 723MB or so. As you guessed, I installed Half Life before I installed
Steam. So, the game was installed prior to Steam installation.

Clicking on "Register a product I already own" solved the problem. After I
put in the CD key, Team Fortress, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Half-Life,
Deathmatch Classic, Opposing Force, Ricochet appeared in Steam windows under
"my games" option.

I guess Valve hit the bull's eye with this new Steam thing as no more
illegal copies will be of any use.