Hi, i got a ati vivo card that has DXVA capability. And i ..

Hi, i got a ati vivo card that has DXVA capability. And i would like
to know witch program is able to use that feature. I did some research
on google but couldn't find any interesting result. So i ask you, who
has an aiw or a vivo card. Did you get that kind of program and where
did you get it.

Thank you.

DDC wrote:

> Hi, i got a ati vivo card that has DXVA capability. And i would like
> to know witch program is able to use that feature. I did some research
> on google but couldn't find any interesting result. So i ask you, who
> has an aiw or a vivo card. Did you get that kind of program and where
> did you get it.

Just about any decent video playback program will use it.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:30:11 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

>DDC wrote:
>
>> Hi, i got a ati vivo card that has DXVA capability. And i would like
>> to know witch program is able to use that feature. I did some research
>> on google but couldn't find any interesting result. So i ask you, who
>> has an aiw or a vivo card. Did you get that kind of program and where
>> did you get it.
>
>Just about any decent video playback program will use it.
>
>> Thank you.
>
>--
>--John
>to email, dial "usenet" and validate
>(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Hmm is this true for vivo and aiw video card. because on my old
9800pro i didn't had that dxva. So my guess is that dxva is not for
all. By this it's important to know if it's include in a encoding
software. like, i think... nero and uleadstudio9. Dxva is not mention
on every encoding program so i figure that it's better to find out one
that it does. That it does explain that dxva is on a big part of their
product. Why is that, because i got my self a vivo and want every
single bit of the hardware available for my use.

With my 9800pro i was encoding an avi at 20 50fpsdepending on the size
of the screen and other things but now with a x700pro it went up
+25fps. Maybe drdivx has this feature the dxva and i just find out how
cool it was.

Anyway if you have any sort of news to share... go!

DDC wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:30:11 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>DDC wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, i got a ati vivo card that has DXVA capability. And i would like
>>> to know witch program is able to use that feature. I did some research
>>> on google but couldn't find any interesting result. So i ask you, who
>>> has an aiw or a vivo card. Did you get that kind of program and where
>>> did you get it.
>>
>>Just about any decent video playback program will use it.
>>
>>> Thank you.
>>
>>--
>>--John
>>to email, dial "usenet" and validate
>>(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
>

> Hmm is this true for vivo and aiw video card. because on my old
> 9800pro i didn't had that dxva. So my guess is that dxva is not for
> all. By this it's important to know if it's include in a encoding
> software. like, i think... nero and uleadstudio9. Dxva is not mention
> on every encoding program so i figure that it's better to find out one
> that it does. That it does explain that dxva is on a big part of their
> product. Why is that, because i got my self a vivo and want every
> single bit of the hardware available for my use.
>
> With my 9800pro i was encoding an avi at 20 50fpsdepending on the size
> of the screen and other things but now with a x700pro it went up
> +25fps. Maybe drdivx has this feature the dxva and i just find out how
> cool it was.
>
> Anyway if you have any sort of news to share... go!

I think you have a misunderstanding about DXVA. DXVA provides hardware
assisted playback, not recording. The 9800 Pro most assuredly does have
DXVA.

If you want hardware assisted encoding you need a capture board--the
Hauppauge PVR series works well--or an analog-to-Firewire solution such as
a decent DV camcorder with analog transcoding or one of the Canopus ADVC
devices.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 00:30:19 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

>DDC wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:30:11 -0400, "J. Clarke"
>> <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

>>>Just about any decent video playback program will use it.

>>>--
>>>--John
>>>to email, dial "usenet" and validate
>>>(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
>>

>> Hmm is this true for vivo and aiw video card. because on my old
>> 9800pro i didn't had that dxva. So my guess is that dxva is not for
>> all. By this it's important to know if it's include in a encoding
>> software. like, i think... nero and uleadstudio9. Dxva is not mention
>> on every encoding program so i figure that it's better to find out one
>> that it does. That it does explain that dxva is on a big part of their
>> product. Why is that, because i got my self a vivo and want every
>> single bit of the hardware available for my use.
>>
>> With my 9800pro i was encoding an avi at 20 50fpsdepending on the size
>> of the screen and other things but now with a x700pro it went up
>> +25fps. Maybe drdivx has this feature the dxva and i just find out how
>> cool it was.

>> Anyway if you have any sort of news to share... go!
>
>I think you have a misunderstanding about DXVA. DXVA provides hardware
>assisted playback, not recording. The 9800 Pro most assuredly does have
>DXVA.
>
>If you want hardware assisted encoding you need a capture board--the
>Hauppauge PVR series works well--or an analog-to-Firewire solution such as
>a decent DV camcorder with analog transcoding or one of the Canopus ADVC
>devices.

There is no hauppauge stuff in my x700pro vivo card, i'm not saying
that you said so, but what i'm saying is that 1 the 9800pro don't have
dxva because on the official ati web page it's not there. 2. My video
card is capable of supporting dxva witch is relate to direct show
video encoding, so it's a directx feature. Yes it's assist the program
to do maybe play back but it also help to decode/ripping video, or to
create a back-up if you like. dxva is a hardware feature to help the
processing of reading and writing the video. Like decoding and
encoding. Alone it doesn't do much but it help to achieve the
processing of video processing.

I did my research and been on many web page. I was getting here some
confirmation on the related subject that i've start. That some
programs might use that dxva directx video acceleration to read and
write video. Yes there's program that do so and was like "asking" for
that name of program.

I wont ever by en TV card when i already got one. i just have to get a
TV wonder remote and voila.

DDC wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 00:30:19 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>DDC wrote:

>>> Hmm is this true for vivo and aiw video card. because on my old
>>> 9800pro i didn't had that dxva. So my guess is that dxva is not for
>>> all. By this it's important to know if it's include in a encoding
>>> software. like, i think... nero and uleadstudio9. Dxva is not mention
>>> on every encoding program so i figure that it's better to find out one
>>> that it does. That it does explain that dxva is on a big part of their
>>> product. Why is that, because i got my self a vivo and want every
>>> single bit of the hardware available for my use.
>>>
>>> With my 9800pro i was encoding an avi at 20 50fpsdepending on the size
>>> of the screen and other things but now with a x700pro it went up
>>> +25fps. Maybe drdivx has this feature the dxva and i just find out how
>>> cool it was.

>>> Anyway if you have any sort of news to share... go!
>>
>>I think you have a misunderstanding about DXVA. DXVA provides hardware
>>assisted playback, not recording. The 9800 Pro most assuredly does have
>>DXVA.
>>
>>If you want hardware assisted encoding you need a capture board--the
>>Hauppauge PVR series works well--or an analog-to-Firewire solution such as
>>a decent DV camcorder with analog transcoding or one of the Canopus ADVC
>>devices.
>
> There is no hauppauge stuff in my x700pro vivo card, i'm not saying
> that you said so, but what i'm saying is that 1 the 9800pro don't have
> dxva because on the official ati web page it's not there.

"MPEG-2 decoding with motion compensation, iDCT and color space conversion
All-format DTV/HDTV decoding"

That is DXVA.

You do not need "hauppauge stuff" to have DXVA. Any DirectX 8 or later chip
should have it.

> 2. My video
> card is capable of supporting dxva witch is relate to direct show
> video encoding, so it's a directx feature.

DXVA is "DirectX Video Acceleration". Here is what Microsoft says about it:

"HDTV-capable MPEG-2 Decoder: A digital TV filter graph requires a
third-party decoder that is capable of decoding High Definition Television
(HDTV) video streams. Some decoder implementations may operate on both
audio and video streams in the same filter, while others may have separate
filters for audio and video. To achieve the performance necessary to
support HDTV, the decoder should support Microsoft DirectX Video
Acceleration (DXVA). DXVA is a specification for hardware acceleration of
digital video decoding processing, with support of alpha blending for such
purposes as DVD subpicture support."

The above is cut and pasted from
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/dx81_c/directx_cpp/htm/microsofttvtechnologiesinternals.asp>

I believe that Microsoft can be expected to know their own standards.

> Yes it's assist the program
> to do maybe play back but it also help to decode/ripping video,

Only to decode. If you're RIPping uncompressed then it might do the trick
for you all by itself, if you're decompressing and recompressing then it's
not going to help at all with the recompression.

> or to
> create a back-up if you like. dxva is a hardware feature to help the
> processing of reading and writing the video.

No. Just reading.

> Like decoding and
> encoding.

No, just decoding.

> Alone it doesn't do much but it help to achieve the
> processing of video processing.
>
> I did my research and been on many web page.

Obviously not any that provide an accurate description of DXVA.

> I was getting here some
> confirmation on the related subject that i've start. That some
> programs might use that dxva directx video acceleration to read and
> write video.

It cannot be used to write video, just read. No programs use it to write,
many use it to read.

> Yes there's program that do so and was like "asking" for
> that name of program.
>
> I wont ever by en TV card when i already got one. i just have to get a
> TV wonder remote and voila.

Voila you'll have a system that uses DXVA to decode and the CPU to encode.
If that's what you want, fine. If you want hardware encoding though you're
going to need another board. Don't believe me, fine, believe what you want
to. If your CPU utilization is not 10% or less on analog recording though
you are not getting hardware accelerated encoding.