ATI9800Pro and Half-Life 2: water is white

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi there
I just got an ATI 9800Pro. I used to use the 5.6 drivers and had
no problem with graphic. I am now in the section when you use the
boat and most time, the water is white, like if it is ice. I see
no special effect to the water. Th rest of the graphic is normal
and very nice. It is only the water. Now this does not happen all
the time but more than 60% of all the "chapters" I am playing
that involves me driving this little boat, the water is white. I
can barely make out waves and such details in the water. When it
*does* work as it should (the other 40% of the time), the water
is fine. I upgrade to the 5.7 driver, to no avail. Can anyone
help? I am running at 11xx By 8xx, no special effect, details set
to medium, no Antialiasing... PLain vanilla settings

Specs
Athlon 64, 3000+
512 PC3100 ram
80 gig HD
DirectX version: 9.0c

Thanks

Frank wrote:

> Hi there
> I just got an ATI 9800Pro. I used to use the 5.6 drivers and had
> no problem with graphic. I am now in the section when you use the
> boat and most time, the water is white, like if it is ice. I see
> no special effect to the water. Th rest of the graphic is normal
> and very nice. It is only the water. Now this does not happen all
> the time but more than 60% of all the "chapters" I am playing
> that involves me driving this little boat, the water is white. I
> can barely make out waves and such details in the water. When it
> *does* work as it should (the other 40% of the time), the water
> is fine. I upgrade to the 5.7 driver, to no avail. Can anyone
> help? I am running at 11xx By 8xx, no special effect, details set
> to medium, no Antialiasing... PLain vanilla settings
>
> Specs
> Athlon 64, 3000+
> 512 PC3100 ram
> 80 gig HD
> DirectX version: 9.0c
>
> Thanks

verify your gcf files.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Frank wrote:
>>
>> Hi there
>> I just got an ATI 9800Pro. I used to use the 5.6 drivers and
>> had
>> no problem with graphic. I am now in the section when you use
>> the
>> boat and most time, the water is white, like if it is ice. I
>> see
>> no special effect to the water. Th rest of the graphic is
>> normal
>> and very nice. It is only the water. Now this does not happen
>> all
>> the time but more than 60% of all the "chapters" I am playing
>> that involves me driving this little boat, the water is white.
>> can barely make out waves and such details in the water. When
>> it
>> *does* work as it should (the other 40% of the time), the
>> water
>> is fine. I upgrade to the 5.7 driver, to no avail. Can anyone
>> help? I am running at 11xx By 8xx, no special effect, details
>> set
>> to medium, no Antialiasing... PLain vanilla settings
>>
>> Specs
>> Athlon 64, 3000+
>> 512 PC3100 ram
>> 80 gig HD
>> DirectX version: 9.0c
>>
>> Thanks
>
> verify your gcf files.

Thanks but what would I be looking for in the gfc files? I would
be most appreciative if you could you point me in the right
direction.

TIA

Frank wrote:
> I just got an ATI 9800Pro. I used to use the 5.6 drivers and had
> no problem with graphic. I am now in the section when you use the
> boat and most time, the water is white, like if it is ice.

Tried the 4.12 drivers?

shawk

"Frank" <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

> Thanks but what would I be looking for in the gfc files? I would be most
> appreciative if you could you point me in the right direction.

Frank, you can have Steam do this for you and it will automatically repair
anything that isn't correct.

Go to http://tinyurl.com/9wvse and click on:

To validate Half-Life 2 (applaunch 220) click here

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> "Frank" <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Thanks but what would I be looking for in the gfc files? I
>> would be most appreciative if you could you point me in the
>> right direction.
>>

> Frank, you can have Steam do this for you and it will
> automatically repair anything that isn't correct.
>
> Go to http://tinyurl.com/9wvse and click on:
>
> To validate Half-Life 2 (applaunch 220) click here

Thanks. I did that but I still have the problem. Water is snow
white! It is really annoying...

Frank wrote:

> Hi there
> I just got an ATI 9800Pro. I used to use the 5.6 drivers and had
> no problem with graphic. I am now in the section when you use the
> boat and most time, the water is white, like if it is ice. I see
> no special effect to the water. Th rest of the graphic is normal
> and very nice. It is only the water. Now this does not happen all
> the time but more than 60% of all the "chapters" I am playing
> that involves me driving this little boat, the water is white. I
> can barely make out waves and such details in the water. When it
> *does* work as it should (the other 40% of the time), the water
> is fine. I upgrade to the 5.7 driver, to no avail. Can anyone
> help? I am running at 11xx By 8xx, no special effect, details set
> to medium, no Antialiasing... PLain vanilla settings
>
> Specs
> Athlon 64, 3000+
> 512 PC3100 ram
> 80 gig HD
> DirectX version: 9.0c
>
> Thanks

Frank

This question might be better asked and answered in the steam user
forums, or possibly the http://www.driverheaven.net/ forums.
http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=forums

Gordon

Gordon

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Hi there
> I just got an ATI 9800Pro. I used to use the 5.6 drivers and
> had no problem with graphic. I am now in the section when you
> use the boat and most time, the water is white, like if it is
> ice. I see no special effect to the water. Th rest of the
> graphic is normal and very nice. It is only the water. Now this
> does not happen all the time but more than 60% of all the
> "chapters" I am playing that involves me driving this little
> boat, the water is white. I can barely make out waves and such
> details in the water. When it *does* work as it should (the
> other 40% of the time), the water is fine. I upgrade to the 5.7
> driver, to no avail. Can anyone help? I am running at 11xx By
> 8xx, no special effect, details set to medium, no
> Antialiasing... PLain vanilla settings
>
> Specs
> Athlon 64, 3000+
> 512 PC3100 ram
> 80 gig HD
> DirectX version: 9.0c
>
> Thanks

I found the problem. I had a patch (a mod, really) that made the
water look different under directx8.0. When I bought the ATI
card, which is directX 9 compliant, it conflicted with the patch.
Uninstalling the mod solved the problem. Water is purrrrrty now!

> "Frank" <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> Hi there
>> I just got an ATI 9800Pro. I used to use the 5.6 drivers and had no
>> problem with graphic. I am now in the section when you use the boat and
>> most time, the water is white, like if it is ice. I see no special effect
>> to the water. Th rest of the graphic is normal and very nice. It is only
>> the water. Now this does not happen all the time but more than 60% of all
>> the "chapters" I am playing that involves me driving this little boat,
>> the water is white. I can barely make out waves and such details in the
>> water. When it *does* work as it should (the other 40% of the time), the
>> water is fine. I upgrade to the 5.7 driver, to no avail. Can anyone help?
>> I am running at 11xx By 8xx, no special effect, details set to medium, no
>> Antialiasing... PLain vanilla settings
>>
>> Specs
>> Athlon 64, 3000+
>> 512 PC3100 ram
>> 80 gig HD
>> DirectX version: 9.0c
>>
>> Thanks
>
> I found the problem. I had a patch (a mod, really) that made the water
> look different under directx8.0. When I bought the ATI card, which is
> directX 9 compliant, it conflicted with the patch. Uninstalling the mod
> solved the problem. Water is purrrrrty now!

Glad you got it sorted...