Changing User profile name

Is it possible to change the name of a user profile on XP home sp2 I log in
as administrator, and the profile that I want to change has the two options
delete and copy greyed out. I go into C:\Documents and Settings and try to
rename the profile folder and get the message that it is a system folder and
can't be renamed.
does anyone have any suggestions ?
Thank you
Norm
3 answers Last reply
More about changing user profile name

    Norman wrote:

    > Is it possible to change the name of a user profile on XP home sp2 I
    > log in as administrator, and the profile that I want to change has the
    > two options
    > delete and copy greyed out. I go into C:\Documents and Settings and
    > try to rename the profile folder and get the message that it is a
    > system folder and can't be renamed.
    > does anyone have any suggestions ?
    > Thank you
    > Norm

    It is better to create a new user account with the name you want and
    copy the original user account to that. Assuming that this is a
    standalone machine (not on a domain), create your new account and then
    log into it once. Now log in as a user different from the new account
    and the one from which you are copying. Here's a link with full
    details:

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    To change the user name on xp pro w/ sp2 the start menu and click run copy
    the following into it and hit enter %SystemRoot%\system32\compmgmt.msc /s
    then go to local users and groups and double click it and double click on
    users then select the user name you would like to change and right mouse
    click and select rename type the name you want and hit enter. The change
    takes effect immediately.

    Tom
    MCSA

    Norman wrote:
    > Is it possible to change the name of a user profile on XP home sp2 I log in
    > as administrator, and the profile that I want to change has the two options
    > delete and copy greyed out. I go into C:\Documents and Settings and try to
    > rename the profile folder and get the message that it is a system folder and
    > can't be renamed.
    > does anyone have any suggestions ?
    > Thank you
    > Norm

    The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
    cannot easily be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
    (It's possible, by making several unnecessarily tedious registry
    edits.) So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
    Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
    desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH