How to configure Windows Firewall?

when i go into control panel then firewall , the circle to turn firewall on
or off are in shadows and it wont let me do anything and i want to turn
firewall on . do i have to play witht the firewall settings first or is there
a problem?
9 answers Last reply
More about configure windows firewall

    Start > run > services.msc and scroll down to Windows Firewall/Internet
    Connection Sharing (ICS) and verify the Status is Started and the Startup
    Type is Automatic.

    If they are not then highlight the item, right-click, select Properties and
    edit things appropriately.

    "rob180sx" <rob180sx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > when i go into control panel then firewall , the circle to turn firewall
    > on
    > or off are in shadows and it wont let me do anything and i want to turn
    > firewall on . do i have to play witht the firewall settings first or is
    > there
    > a problem?

    ya everythings fine there, but i still cant select on or off for the firewall.

    rob180sx wrote:

    > ya everythings fine there, but i still cant select on or off
    > for the firewall.
    Hi,

    One thing you can check:

    Start regedit.exe (from Start/Run).

    If you under the registry key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile\
    and/or
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile\
    find a registry value named EnableFirewall that is set to 0, set it
    to 1 and reboot.

    If those registry keys/values does not exist, the system will default
    to the same as EnableFirewall set to 1.

    Another thing: If this computer is in a domain, also the network
    administrator can have disabled the firewall with Group Policy (GPO).

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    ok both values were set as 0 so i turned them on now the firewall is on but i
    still cant turn it off by clicking the circle but i now can click the "dont
    allow exceptions" box which i could not before. but i think your right this
    computer used to be on a network at one time and and maybe the firewall was
    turned off and i dont have permission to access it.... how would i fix this?

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

    > rob180sx wrote:
    >
    > > ya everythings fine there, but i still cant select on or off
    > > for the firewall.
    > Hi,
    >
    > One thing you can check:
    >
    > Start regedit.exe (from Start/Run).
    >
    > If you under the registry key
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile\
    > and/or
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile\
    > find a registry value named EnableFirewall that is set to 0, set it
    > to 1 and reboot.
    >
    > If those registry keys/values does not exist, the system will default
    > to the same as EnableFirewall set to 1.
    >

    > Another thing: If this computer is in a domain, also the network
    > administrator can have disabled the firewall with Group Policy (GPO).

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    rob180sx,
    make sure you are logged in as an administrator to change firewall settings.
    If you log in as a restricted user, all options will be grayed out. Perhaps
    that is the problem?

    Lasse

    "rob180sx" wrote:

    > ya everythings fine there, but i still cant select on or off for the firewall.
    >
    > "Jerry" wrote:
    >
    > > Start > run > services.msc and scroll down to Windows Firewall/Internet
    > > Connection Sharing (ICS) and verify the Status is Started and the Startup
    > > Type is Automatic.
    > >
    > > If they are not then highlight the item, right-click, select Properties and
    > > edit things appropriately.
    > >
    > > "rob180sx" <rob180sx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > when i go into control panel then firewall , the circle to turn firewall
    > > > on
    > > > or off are in shadows and it wont let me do anything and i want to turn
    > > > firewall on . do i have to play witht the firewall settings first or is
    > > > there
    > > > a problem?

    "rob180sx" <rob180sx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > when i go into control panel then firewall , the circle to turn firewall
    > on
    > or off are in shadows and it wont let me do anything and i want to turn
    > firewall on . do i have to play witht the firewall settings first or is
    > there
    > a problem?

    Are you on a corporate network i.e. a domain. In a domain group policy will
    override local firewall settings.

    Kerry

    when i turn the computer on the only choice to log on i have is me or guest
    nothing else!! also this is my at home computer no network anymore but it
    used to be networked with my dads before i moved out. but since then ive also
    formatted and everyhting so that shouldnt matter anymore.

    "Kerry Brown" wrote:

    > "rob180sx" <rob180sx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > when i go into control panel then firewall , the circle to turn firewall
    > > on
    > > or off are in shadows and it wont let me do anything and i want to turn
    > > firewall on . do i have to play witht the firewall settings first or is
    > > there
    > > a problem?
    >
    > Are you on a corporate network i.e. a domain. In a domain group policy will
    > override local firewall settings.
    >
    > Kerry

    also i checked about being on a domain and so i went to control panel ,
    system , computername and it says im a part of a workgroup not a domain.

    "Kerry Brown" wrote:

    > "rob180sx" <rob180sx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > when i go into control panel then firewall , the circle to turn firewall
    > > on
    > > or off are in shadows and it wont let me do anything and i want to turn
    > > firewall on . do i have to play witht the firewall settings first or is
    > > there
    > > a problem?
    >
    > Are you on a corporate network i.e. a domain. In a domain group policy will
    > override local firewall settings.
    >
    > Kerry

    SORRY FOR POSTING 3 TIMES
    but i checked user accounts and it says i am the administrator. so i dont
    understand this problem.
    "rob180sx" wrote:

    > also i checked about being on a domain and so i went to control panel ,
    > system , computername and it says im a part of a workgroup not a domain.
    >
    > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
    >
    > > "rob180sx" <rob180sx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > when i go into control panel then firewall , the circle to turn firewall
    > > > on
    > > > or off are in shadows and it wont let me do anything and i want to turn
    > > > firewall on . do i have to play witht the firewall settings first or is
    > > > there
    > > > a problem?
    > >
    > > Are you on a corporate network i.e. a domain. In a domain group policy will
    > > override local firewall settings.
    > >
    > > Kerry

Firewalls Configuration Windows XP