Video Card Upgrade

I have a Radeon 9700 Pro and I am thinking about upgrading my system.
My cpu is a Barton 3200+ and I want to know if this is good enough for
the Radeon 850 XL AGP video card. I don't want to get an expensive
video card and then discover the cpu is a bottleneck.

I've run Unreal Tournament 2004 with the task manager and discovered
that the cpu is running at 100% but that may just because the program
hogs the cpu no matter how faster it is?

Ak
4 answers Last reply
More about video card upgrade

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:48:40 GMT, Alfred Kaufmann <al@kaufmann.ca>
    wrote:

    >I have a Radeon 9700 Pro and I am thinking about upgrading my system.
    >My cpu is a Barton 3200+ and I want to know if this is good enough for
    >the Radeon 850 XL AGP video card. I don't want to get an expensive
    >video card and then discover the cpu is a bottleneck.
    >
    >I've run Unreal Tournament 2004 with the task manager and discovered
    >that the cpu is running at 100% but that may just because the program
    >hogs the cpu no matter how faster it is?

    UT2004 is a processor hog. Much of the graphics processing is done by
    it rather than the graphics card. Thus your processor is quite an
    asset to you as it is still quite fast.

    What do you need to run faster? I wouldn't think that UT2004 is
    stuttering or just about any current game either.

    I would wait and have my next upgrade to be a PCI-E mb (possibly
    Athlon 64). By then you could replace the 9700 with a comparatively
    cheaper but more powerful card at the same time.
    --

    Julian Richards
    computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

    www.richardsuk.f9.co.uk
    Website of "Robot Wars" middleweight "Broadsword IV"

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:13:45 +0100, Julian Richards <see@sig.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >What do you need to run faster? I wouldn't think that UT2004 is
    >stuttering or just about any current game either.

    It is smooth but other players can outrun me and do things like change
    weapons and shoot much faster than I can. I know it can be other
    things like the network connection or the use of cheats like aimbots.

    >I would wait and have my next upgrade to be a PCI-E mb (possibly
    >Athlon 64). By then you could replace the 9700 with a comparatively
    >cheaper but more powerful card at the same time.

    By the time you add the cost of the motherboard, the bigger power
    supply, the cpu, the video card and maybe even some memory ... it gets
    very expensive. :-( It would be a real pain if I do all that and get
    no gaming improvement.

    Ak

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 06:09:09 GMT, Alfred Kaufmann <al@kaufmann.ca>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:13:45 +0100, Julian Richards <see@sig.co.uk>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>What do you need to run faster? I wouldn't think that UT2004 is
    >>stuttering or just about any current game either.
    >
    >It is smooth but other players can outrun me and do things like change
    >weapons and shoot much faster than I can. I know it can be other
    >things like the network connection or the use of cheats like aimbots.
    try the button 1 to 9 maybe it will help huh!
    Also try to hit the forward button two time very fast and see what
    happen. My pc is half power that you've mention and i do win and lost
    several time. Maybe other players play at higher resolution than you
    play like 1024x764

    >>I would wait and have my next upgrade to be a PCI-E mb (possibly
    >>Athlon 64). By then you could replace the 9700 with a comparatively
    >>cheaper but more powerful card at the same time.
    >
    >By the time you add the cost of the motherboard, the bigger power
    >supply, the cpu, the video card and maybe even some memory ... it gets
    >very expensive. :-( It would be a real pain if I do all that and get
    >no gaming improvement.
    >
    >Ak

    I wouldnt upgrade to a x8xx class video card without upgrading to an A64
    CPU.

    You would want the horsepower to push a new video card like that. Plus the
    faster/more FSB bandwidth. And I wouldnt buy a new technology GPU on an AGP
    bus anymore. Look forward, not backward.

    "Alfred Kaufmann" <al@kaufmann.ca> wrote in message
    >I have a Radeon 9700 Pro and I am thinking about upgrading my system.
    > My cpu is a Barton 3200+ and I want to know if this is good enough for
    > the Radeon 850 XL AGP video card. I don't want to get an expensive
    > video card and then discover the cpu is a bottleneck.
    >
    > I've run Unreal Tournament 2004 with the task manager and discovered
    > that the cpu is running at 100% but that may just because the program
    > hogs the cpu no matter how faster it is?
    >
    > Ak

Radeon Graphics Cards CPUs Graphics