Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Video Card Upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2005 1:48:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I have a Radeon 9700 Pro and I am thinking about upgrading my system.
My cpu is a Barton 3200+ and I want to know if this is good enough for
the Radeon 850 XL AGP video card. I don't want to get an expensive
video card and then discover the cpu is a bottleneck.

I've run Unreal Tournament 2004 with the task manager and discovered
that the cpu is running at 100% but that may just because the program
hogs the cpu no matter how faster it is?

Ak

More about : video card upgrade

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2005 3:13:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:48:40 GMT, Alfred Kaufmann <al@kaufmann.ca>
wrote:

>I have a Radeon 9700 Pro and I am thinking about upgrading my system.
>My cpu is a Barton 3200+ and I want to know if this is good enough for
>the Radeon 850 XL AGP video card. I don't want to get an expensive
>video card and then discover the cpu is a bottleneck.
>
>I've run Unreal Tournament 2004 with the task manager and discovered
>that the cpu is running at 100% but that may just because the program
>hogs the cpu no matter how faster it is?

UT2004 is a processor hog. Much of the graphics processing is done by
it rather than the graphics card. Thus your processor is quite an
asset to you as it is still quite fast.

What do you need to run faster? I wouldn't think that UT2004 is
stuttering or just about any current game either.

I would wait and have my next upgrade to be a PCI-E mb (possibly
Athlon 64). By then you could replace the 9700 with a comparatively
cheaper but more powerful card at the same time.
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

www.richardsuk.f9.co.uk
Website of "Robot Wars" middleweight "Broadsword IV"
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2005 10:09:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:13:45 +0100, Julian Richards <see@sig.co.uk>
wrote:

>What do you need to run faster? I wouldn't think that UT2004 is
>stuttering or just about any current game either.

It is smooth but other players can outrun me and do things like change
weapons and shoot much faster than I can. I know it can be other
things like the network connection or the use of cheats like aimbots.

>I would wait and have my next upgrade to be a PCI-E mb (possibly
>Athlon 64). By then you could replace the 9700 with a comparatively
>cheaper but more powerful card at the same time.

By the time you add the cost of the motherboard, the bigger power
supply, the cpu, the video card and maybe even some memory ... it gets
very expensive. :-( It would be a real pain if I do all that and get
no gaming improvement.

Ak
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2005 2:06:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 06:09:09 GMT, Alfred Kaufmann <al@kaufmann.ca>
wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:13:45 +0100, Julian Richards <see@sig.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>What do you need to run faster? I wouldn't think that UT2004 is
>>stuttering or just about any current game either.
>
>It is smooth but other players can outrun me and do things like change
>weapons and shoot much faster than I can. I know it can be other
>things like the network connection or the use of cheats like aimbots.
try the button 1 to 9 maybe it will help huh!
Also try to hit the forward button two time very fast and see what
happen. My pc is half power that you've mention and i do win and lost
several time. Maybe other players play at higher resolution than you
play like 1024x764


>
>>I would wait and have my next upgrade to be a PCI-E mb (possibly
>>Athlon 64). By then you could replace the 9700 with a comparatively
>>cheaper but more powerful card at the same time.
>
>By the time you add the cost of the motherboard, the bigger power
>supply, the cpu, the video card and maybe even some memory ... it gets
>very expensive. :-( It would be a real pain if I do all that and get
>no gaming improvement.
>
>Ak
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2005 12:35:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I wouldnt upgrade to a x8xx class video card without upgrading to an A64
CPU.

You would want the horsepower to push a new video card like that. Plus the
faster/more FSB bandwidth. And I wouldnt buy a new technology GPU on an AGP
bus anymore. Look forward, not backward.



"Alfred Kaufmann" <al@kaufmann.ca> wrote in message
news:smhnf1tjuug9lsdkkgpbbo6g96j5dhh64n@4ax.com...
>I have a Radeon 9700 Pro and I am thinking about upgrading my system.
> My cpu is a Barton 3200+ and I want to know if this is good enough for
> the Radeon 850 XL AGP video card. I don't want to get an expensive
> video card and then discover the cpu is a bottleneck.
>
> I've run Unreal Tournament 2004 with the task manager and discovered
> that the cpu is running at 100% but that may just because the program
> hogs the cpu no matter how faster it is?
>
> Ak
>
!