Help me choose my next video card

I need some advice on a new video card. My current card, an AIW 8500DV
overheated one day, so I took it apart and lubed the fan. It seems to
be OK for now, but I wanted to explore my next purchase. I do some
video editing and use the AIW to capture analog video. I am not a
gamer, but need good video quality and speed. Here is what I am
considering:

1) AIW 9800 Pro - about $200
2) AIW X800 - about $350
3) X850 - about $375

I know that as the speed of the card goes up, so does the price. I
have heard that there is a large speed & quality difference between the
X800 and the X850. If this is true, I might consider #3 and get a
separate analog capture card, as $375 - $400 is my limit. Any comments
or suggestions?
PS - I have an Abit IC7-G, i875 Canterwood MB with a P4-3.0 and 1 gig
of dual channel memory and an AGP slot (no PCI-express slots)

On 12 Aug 2005 07:34:51 -0700, pandj@mailandnews.com wrote:

>I need some advice on a new video card. My current card, an AIW 8500DV
>overheated one day, so I took it apart and lubed the fan. It seems to
>be OK for now, but I wanted to explore my next purchase. I do some
>video editing and use the AIW to capture analog video. I am not a
>gamer, but need good video quality and speed. Here is what I am
>considering:
>
>1) AIW 9800 Pro - about $200
>2) AIW X800 - about $350
>3) X850 - about $375
>
>I know that as the speed of the card goes up, so does the price. I
>have heard that there is a large speed & quality difference between the
>X800 and the X850. If this is true, I might consider #3 and get a
>separate analog capture card, as $375 - $400 is my limit. Any comments
>or suggestions?
>PS - I have an Abit IC7-G, i875 Canterwood MB with a P4-3.0 and 1 gig
>of dual channel memory and an AGP slot (no PCI-express slots)

Considering you are not a gamer then maybe you should just go with the
AIW9800pro. It's the 3D graphics where the speed increase is seen on
the newer cards over the older cards. I just recently went form a
9800pro to an X800XL and I don't notice any difference in the 2D speed
between the two. The 9800pro is a good card and will probably serve
you well and save you spending more than you have to.

coup

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004

On 12 Aug 2005 07:34:51 -0700, pandj@mailandnews.com wrote:

>I need some advice on a new video card. My current card, an AIW 8500DV
>overheated one day, so I took it apart and lubed the fan. It seems to
>be OK for now, but I wanted to explore my next purchase. I do some
>video editing and use the AIW to capture analog video. I am not a
>gamer, but need good video quality and speed. Here is what I am
>considering:
>
>1) AIW 9800 Pro - about $200
>2) AIW X800 - about $350
>3) X850 - about $375
>
>I know that as the speed of the card goes up, so does the price. I
>have heard that there is a large speed & quality difference between the
>X800 and the X850. If this is true, I might consider #3 and get a
>separate analog capture card, as $375 - $400 is my limit. Any comments
>or suggestions?
>PS - I have an Abit IC7-G, i875 Canterwood MB with a P4-3.0 and 1 gig
>of dual channel memory and an AGP slot (no PCI-express slots)

Sounds like you really want enhanced video capture.. why not a
Happauge WinTV PVR-350, you get a better more programmable tuner,
excellent hardware encoding and decoding that offloads virtually all
the video from your cpu. Your existing card is more than adequate for
everything 2D, even the X850 will make almost no difference on that
stuff....and the cost is at the low end of your range...