sharing restricted folders in windows xp home

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

i have windows xp home on two computers. i would like to be able to share
the folders My Music, My Pictures, My Documents, etc. How is this possible
with only having windows xp home installed?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:A236ED95-AA2B-41B9-B5B9-950AF9C0FA6F@microsoft.com,
Dave <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> i have windows xp home on two computers. i would like to be able to
> share the folders My Music, My Pictures, My Documents, etc. How is
> this possible with only having windows xp home installed?

Get a router or a crossover cable. Network them. Share them. You can just
right click on the folder and select to share it and assign it a name. I'd
recommend a router - it's usually easier.

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

if you right click the My Music folder in windows xp home and select sharing
and security everything is greyed out and you can't change anything to make
it shared.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:A236ED95-AA2B-41B9-B5B9-950AF9C0FA6F@microsoft.com,
> Dave <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > i have windows xp home on two computers. i would like to be able to
> > share the folders My Music, My Pictures, My Documents, etc. How is
> > this possible with only having windows xp home installed?
>
> Get a router or a crossover cable. Network them. Share them. You can just
> right click on the folder and select to share it and assign it a name. I'd
> recommend a router - it's usually easier.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
> its solution is its own reward."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:96E7C4E1-E570-4F13-987D-55AFE75D2FF6@microsoft.com,
Dave <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> if you right click the My Music folder in windows xp home and select
> sharing and security everything is greyed out and you can't change
> anything to make it shared.
>
> "Galen" wrote:
>
>> In news:A236ED95-AA2B-41B9-B5B9-950AF9C0FA6F@microsoft.com,
>> Dave <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>>> i have windows xp home on two computers. i would like to be able to
>>> share the folders My Music, My Pictures, My Documents, etc. How is
>>> this possible with only having windows xp home installed?
>>
>> Get a router or a crossover cable. Network them. Share them. You can
>> just right click on the folder and select to share it and assign it
>> a name. I'd recommend a router - it's usually easier.
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
>> its solution is its own reward."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

That generally means that you're not logged on with a user account that has
administrative permissions.

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

i own both of the computers and have full administrative privilages on both.
they have been properly set up on a local network and I am using a router.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:96E7C4E1-E570-4F13-987D-55AFE75D2FF6@microsoft.com,
> Dave <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > if you right click the My Music folder in windows xp home and select
> > sharing and security everything is greyed out and you can't change
> > anything to make it shared.
> >
> > "Galen" wrote:
> >
> >> In news:A236ED95-AA2B-41B9-B5B9-950AF9C0FA6F@microsoft.com,
> >> Dave <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
> >>
> >> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> >> Get a router or a crossover cable. Network them. Share them. You can
> >> just right click on the folder and select to share it and assign it
> >> a name. I'd recommend a router - it's usually easier.
> >>
> >> Galen
> >> --
> >>
> >> "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
> >> its solution is its own reward."
> >>
> >> Sherlock Holmes
>
> That generally means that you're not logged on with a user account that has
> administrative permissions.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
> its solution is its own reward."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:CBBC0690-7F32-47FE-84BA-797D834BD9FE@microsoft.com,
Dave <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> i own both of the computers and have full administrative privilages
> on both. they have been properly set up on a local network and I am
> using a router.
>
> "Galen" wrote:
>
>> In news:96E7C4E1-E570-4F13-987D-55AFE75D2FF6@microsoft.com,
>> Dave <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>>> if you right click the My Music folder in windows xp home and select
>>> sharing and security everything is greyed out and you can't change
>>> anything to make it shared.

>> That generally means that you're not logged on with a user account
>> that has administrative permissions.
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
>> its solution is its own reward."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

Did you at some point select to make this folder private??? Have you set the
My Documents folder as private? I can assure you that I just booted two
separate XP Home PCs and both had the sharing option already enabled and
there was no greyed out options at all. If you're account is an admin
account (even with simple file sharing enabled) then you should easily be
able to set it. Check the folder attributes for My Documents and see if
maybe that's set to private.

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

ok so the greyed out selections have been fixed. but now there is still the
issue of getting complete access to one computer from another. for example,
when i try to access the program file folder it tells me that I don't have
permission.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:CBBC0690-7F32-47FE-84BA-797D834BD9FE@microsoft.com,
> Dave <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > i own both of the computers and have full administrative privilages
> > on both. they have been properly set up on a local network and I am
> > using a router.
> >
> > "Galen" wrote:
> >
> >> In news:96E7C4E1-E570-4F13-987D-55AFE75D2FF6@microsoft.com,
> >> Dave <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
> >>
> >> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> >> That generally means that you're not logged on with a user account
> >> that has administrative permissions.
> >>
> >> Galen
> >> --
> >>
> >> "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
> >> its solution is its own reward."
> >>
> >> Sherlock Holmes
>
> Did you at some point select to make this folder private??? Have you set the
> My Documents folder as private? I can assure you that I just booted two
> separate XP Home PCs and both had the sharing option already enabled and
> there was no greyed out options at all. If you're account is an admin
> account (even with simple file sharing enabled) then you should easily be
> able to set it. Check the folder attributes for My Documents and see if
> maybe that's set to private.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
> its solution is its own reward."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

Malke

Dave wrote:

> ok so the greyed out selections have been fixed. but now there is
> still the
> issue of getting complete access to one computer from another. for
> example, when i try to access the program file folder it tells me that
> I don't have permission.

XP Home does not permit sharing of user's home directories (My
Documents) or the Program Files folder. IIRC, you can share a folder
under the Program Files folder, but not Program Files itself. To share
items in user's home directories, use the Shared Files folder instead.
This is the design of the operating system. If you must share files in
Program Files and/or home directories and the workaround of Shared
Files folder is unacceptable, you will need to upgrade to XP Pro.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:u8UfUTzpFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Malke <invalid@not-real.com> had this to say:

> Dave wrote:
>
>> ok so the greyed out selections have been fixed. but now there is
>> still the
>> issue of getting complete access to one computer from another. for
>> example, when i try to access the program file folder it tells me
>> that I don't have permission.
>>

> XP Home does not permit sharing of user's home directories (My
> Documents) or the Program Files folder. IIRC, you can share a folder
> under the Program Files folder, but not Program Files itself. To share
> items in user's home directories, use the Shared Files folder instead.
> This is the design of the operating system. If you must share files in
> Program Files and/or home directories and the workaround of Shared
> Files folder is unacceptable, you will need to upgrade to XP Pro.
>
> Malke

Hah! That's interesting actually. You can tell I don't use Home much.
*sheepish grin* I'd been under the impression that as long as they weren't
set as private they'd be able to be shared. Well, at least they're no longer
greyed out. Sheesh...

Thanks. :)

Galen
--

Galen wrote:

>> XP Home does not permit sharing of user's home directories (My
>> Documents) or the Program Files folder. IIRC, you can share a folder
>> under the Program Files folder, but not Program Files itself. To
>> share items in user's home directories, use the Shared Files folder
>> instead. This is the design of the operating system. If you must
>> share files in Program Files and/or home directories and the
>> workaround of Shared Files folder is unacceptable, you will need to
>> upgrade to XP Pro.
>>
>> Malke
>
> Hah! That's interesting actually. You can tell I don't use Home much.
> *sheepish grin* I'd been under the impression that as long as they
> weren't set as private they'd be able to be shared. Well, at least
> they're no longer greyed out. Sheesh...
>
> Thanks. :)

YW. I got caught by this once too, so don't feel bad. And just recently
I was having the worst time accessing shares on a Samba server which
worked *perfectly* over in the lab - until we remembered that the
school office computers accessing the server are running XP Home and
Home authenticates as Guest - which is disabled by default in Samba, as
it should be. So Home is tricksy that way. I purposely bought an XP
Home laptop so I would have one machine with Home on it for testing.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com