Monitor Flickers

I have a Radeon 9600 XT and the Catalyst 5.7 driver package installed. The
monitor is the Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751. The flicker is reduced but not
eliminated at higher refresh rates.
8 answers Last reply
More about monitor flickers

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:07:28 -0400, "Valjean"
    <jvaljean@nospamcharter.net> wrote:

    >I have a Radeon 9600 XT and the Catalyst 5.7 driver package installed. The
    >monitor is the Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751. The flicker is reduced but not
    >eliminated at higher refresh rates.

    Well, that would figure, Valjean. What refresh rates are you using?

    Patrick

    <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

    100 Mhz...

    "patrickp" <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:07:28 -0400, "Valjean"
    > <jvaljean@nospamcharter.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a Radeon 9600 XT and the Catalyst 5.7 driver package installed. The
    >>monitor is the Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751. The flicker is reduced but not
    >>eliminated at higher refresh rates.
    >>

    > Well, that would figure, Valjean. What refresh rates are you using?
    >
    > Patrick
    >
    > <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

    that shouldn't flicker, have you checked your monitor's reporyed refresh
    rate to verfiy the drivers? And does it flicker only in games or in non-3d
    apps to?

    Mike

    Valjean wrote:
    > 100 Mhz...
    >
    > "patrickp" <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:07:28 -0400, "Valjean"
    >> <jvaljean@nospamcharter.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a Radeon 9600 XT and the Catalyst 5.7 driver package
    >>> installed. The monitor is the Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751. The
    >>> flicker is reduced but not eliminated at higher refresh rates.
    >>>

    >> Well, that would figure, Valjean. What refresh rates are you using?
    >>
    >> Patrick
    >>
    >> <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

    Just a thought - may not be relevant - make sure you have no 'fat' mains
    plugs close to the monitor (i.e. about half a metre). They can cause a
    'wavering' effect.

    John.

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 03:49:05 GMT, "Mike" <mikepos1@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >that shouldn't flicker, have you checked your monitor's reporyed refresh
    >rate to verfiy the drivers? And does it flicker only in games or in non-3d
    >apps to?
    >
    >Mike

    As Mike says, 100Hz - not MHz! ;-) - certainly shouldn't flicker. How
    are you determining what your refresh rate is?

    >"Valjean" <jvaljean@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message
    >> 100 Mhz...
    >>
    >> "patrickp" <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> wrote in message

    >>> Well, that would figure, Valjean. What refresh rates are you using?
    >>>
    >>> Patrick
    >>>
    >>> <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

    What driver are you using for your monitor, Valjean? Do you have a
    monitor-specific driver running or do you have it as a Plug'n'Pray
    monitor? Oddly enough, in W2K (and, I think, XP) you will often get
    better results running a monitor as a Plug'n'Pray one and setting 'Use
    DDC information' in the monitor properties; this forces your system to
    query the monitor itself as to its properties. W2K (and, I think, XP)
    tend to interpret the properties in a monitor-specific driver very
    conservatively, and you can wind up with a worse display than with the
    Plug'n'Pray driver.

    Patrick

    <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:43:54 GMT, "Bioboffin"
    <Reply_to_Group_please@zzz.invalid> wrote:

    >|Valjean wrote:
    >|> 100 Mhz...
    >|>
    >|> "patrickp" <patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> wrote in message

    >|Just a thought - may not be relevant - make sure you have no 'fat' mains
    >|plugs close to the monitor (i.e. about half a metre). They can cause a
    >|'wavering' effect.
    >|
    >|John.

    A table fan on the same power outlet will cause this as well. .

    If the monitor is actually 'flickering' as in the whole screen is shacking..
    then the monitor is dieing. It happened to me with my NEC 19". They are
    notorious for loosing vertical hold and will 'flip down' about 1/2 inch and
    'flicker'. IF that's what you meant.

    Pluvious

    Cheaper brand 9600's are garbage, drop it to 800 X 600 @ 85 Hz and see
    if it works.

    As stated there are several rails coming off a power supply, keep one
    for fans only, they can cause interference as will a speaker too
    close to the monitor.

    Some / many 9600 Pro cards wear an XT chip but are down clocked, this
    can cause all sorts of dramas, especially with a Megaspeed brand
    card, check in your video hardware properties what GPU it's wearing.

    Buy Genuine ATI and enjoy, or go to a Nvidia card, they seem to have
    less dramas, the 6600GT does the job, sure there are faster but it's
    not needed.

    PS; of course if you have done nothing new or different to the box
    there is a chance the monitor is about to die, these days they last
    just over the warranty and die, such is life.
  8. I have an HP 7674 desktop and two Gateway monitors. One, set up as secondary, started flickering after about a year. Didn't think it was monitor...thought about replacing VGA cable and/or DVI adapter. After reading your posts, changed refresh rate from 60 to 90. Appears to have done the trick. THANK YOU ALL!

Radeon Monitors Graphics