x800 compairison

I currently have just purchased the x800xl. I was wondering if it
would be worth the extra dollar to upgrade to either the x850 or the
x800xt. I really could not tell the difference in the specs that I
saw on the box, but I do not know what gigapixels are and what they
do for me, and which one is better. I usually understand that the
higher the price the better graphics you get, but when they are all
256mb, I do not see what I will get from one card that I will not on
the other. Should I just keep the card or exchange it?

I play video games on the computer. I currently have an asus
motherboard with a p4 3.0 and 1.5 gigs of memory ( might upgrade to 3
though).

Glitch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

s|a.PPy wrote:
> I play video games on the computer. I currently have an asus
> motherboard with a p4 3.0 and 1.5 gigs of memory ( might upgrade to 3
> though).

The X800xl is just fine for you and any other would be an overkill for
your 3.0 CPU. But even if you had a beefier CPU the X800 XT or X850 XT
wouldn't be much faster, maybe 10FPs in the most demanding games.
--
Glitches are BAD!!!
Beware...

ICQ:275699535

chillyman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2005
The X800xl is just fine for you and any other would be an overkill for
your 3.0 CPU. But even if you had a beefier CPU the X800 XT or X850 XT
wouldn't be much faster, maybe 10FPs in the most demanding games.
Forgive me, but I have yet to see concrete evidence to back up that statement. Why on earth would the CPU-speed influense graphic card performance (especially such a high-end card) when today's computer graphics practically require no interaction with the CPU? I think you could benefit more from a top-of-the-line product such as the X850 series even at "only" 3Ghz, which btw isn't bad at all...

If you got money to spend, then by all means go for the X850XT PE monster card... And forget all that extra RAM, unless your running a server of some kind you would be wasting valuable dough for nothing.