Is the 9600xt a good graphics card

Jammie

I am planning on buying a new system although i already have the
sapphire 9600xt atlantis 256 and was wondering how ppl think it will
run the latest games i am planning on this system.
Either a AMD 4000 or P4 3.2/3.4
2GB Ram
the most expensive motherboard i could find with AGP witch is only
bout £90
and the above graphics card.
Should it run the new age games well ?

Thanks Jamie

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ATI-9600xt-good-graphics-card-ftopict60509.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=305632

"jammie" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
>I am planning on buying a new system although i already have the
> sapphire 9600xt atlantis 256 and was wondering how ppl think it will
> run the latest games i am planning on this system.
> Either a AMD 4000 or P4 3.2/3.4
> 2GB Ram
> the most expensive motherboard i could find with AGP witch is only
> bout £90
> and the above graphics card.
> Should it run the new age games well ?
>
> Thanks Jamie

It's not a terrible card by any means and you could be doing worse, but it's
really not that great anymore. It should be alright for maybe another year
depending on what you expect in the way of resolutions and details. I would
urge you to knock down the processor a little bit and use the savings to get
a faster video card so that the system is more balanced. A 9600 Pro would
certainly be a bottleneck on the processors you mention. Also, 256MB on a
9600-level card is a waste unless the price is close to the 128MB version.

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> a faster video card so that the system is more balanced. A 9600 Pro would

eer, sorry, 9600XT.

No, It is based on several years older technology and features and specs.
You will want to buy current technology in a video card to play the latest
games.

--
DaveW

"jammie" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
>I am planning on buying a new system although i already have the
> sapphire 9600xt atlantis 256 and was wondering how ppl think it will
> run the latest games i am planning on this system.
> Either a AMD 4000 or P4 3.2/3.4
> 2GB Ram
> the most expensive motherboard i could find with AGP witch is only
> bout £90
> and the above graphics card.
> Should it run the new age games well ?
>
> Thanks Jamie

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ATI-9600xt-good-graphics-card-ftopict60509.html
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=305632

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 15 Aug 2005 11:35:47 -0400, jammie
<UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

>I am planning on buying a new system although i already have the
>sapphire 9600xt atlantis 256 and was wondering how ppl think it will
>run the latest games i am planning on this system.
>Either a AMD 4000 or P4 3.2/3.4
>2GB Ram
>the most expensive motherboard i could find with AGP witch is only
>bout £90
>and the above graphics card.
>Should it run the new age games well ?
>
>Thanks Jamie

FWIW I have a 256mb 9550 that I have flashed to a 9600 pro and it runs
GTA SA without any problems. It is a little slow when the video is
cranked up full, but running the game with a middling video spec is
very good.

HTH

Harry

-----------------------------
Web Design for Wise Owls - www.WiseWebs.co.uk

> No, It is based on several years older technology and features and specs.
> You will want to buy current technology in a video card to play the latest
> games.

It is a DX 9 card (with the known shader limits, which won't be resolved
until R520 shows up), so featurewise it's ok. Latest games don't yet rely on
latest tech, since that would narrow the customer base too much. I've got a
9600 XT myself, and it still does it's job well enough.

Jammie

"" wrote:
> > No, It is based on several years older technology and
> features and specs.
> > You will want to buy current technology in a video card to
> play the latest
> > games.
>
> It is a DX 9 card (with the known shader limits, which won't
> be resolved
> until R520 shows up), so featurewise it's ok. Latest games
> don't yet rely on
> latest tech, since that would narrow the customer base too
> much. I've got a
> 9600 XT myself, and it still does it's job well enough.

Thanks for the replies guys. Does anyone know what card equilalent it
can be overclocked 2?

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ATI-9600xt-good-graphics-card-ftopict60509.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=306043