Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

XP Firewall turned off in GPO but still blocks programs

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 10:27:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I have XP Firewall turned off by Group policy, yet it still pops up and me
about blocking certain programs. Mainly I see it on DPMS.EXE right after
installing Novell. I go to control panel and check the firewall and it says
it is turned off by GPO.......

Any ideas why?

I am confused ;) 
--
Bruce M
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 5:12:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Does it say it's turned off via GP, or just that some settings are turned
off? is the Off option specifically selected on the General tab?

--
David
Microsoft Windows Networking
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.


"Bruce Musgrove" <blackhole26removeme@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o y4UVE3pFHA.2416@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I have XP Firewall turned off by Group policy, yet it still pops up and me
> about blocking certain programs. Mainly I see it on DPMS.EXE right after
> installing Novell. I go to control panel and check the firewall and it
> says
> it is turned off by GPO.......
>
> Any ideas why?
>
> I am confused ;) 
> --
> Bruce M
>
>
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 10:24:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Finally! It showed up in OE!

Yes it does say it is handled by GPO. All options are greyed out and the OFF
selection is checked....

--
Bruce
Cedar Hill. Tx
32.5916391 -96.973325


"David Beder [MSFT]" <dbeder@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:eVeK3p7pFHA.364@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Does it say it's turned off via GP, or just that some settings are turned
> off? is the Off option specifically selected on the General tab?
>
> --
> David
> Microsoft Windows Networking
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.
>
>
> "Bruce Musgrove" <blackhole26removeme@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:o y4UVE3pFHA.2416@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>I have XP Firewall turned off by Group policy, yet it still pops up and
>>me
>> about blocking certain programs. Mainly I see it on DPMS.EXE right
>> after
>> installing Novell. I go to control panel and check the firewall and it
>> says
>> it is turned off by GPO.......
>>
>> Any ideas why?
>>
>> I am confused ;) 
>> --
>> Bruce M
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 5:44:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

rather odd.
please verify that you're seeing the Windows Firewall dialog with the name
of the app and the three buttons about allowing, blocking, and asking later.
The dialog is designed with a common theme shared by a couple different new
security features that shipped with xpsp2 so I want to rule out that you're
just seeing someone else's notification.

also take a look in the registry for:
hklm\software\policies\microsoft\windowsfirewall
see if there is differing info between the Standard and Domain settings.
there might be some other regkeys to check, but let's start with this for
the moment.

--
David
Microsoft Windows Networking
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.


"Bruce Musgrove" <blackhole26removeme@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:efotAnDqFHA.820@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Finally! It showed up in OE!
>
> Yes it does say it is handled by GPO. All options are greyed out and the
> OFF selection is checked....
>
> --
> Bruce
> Cedar Hill. Tx
> 32.5916391 -96.973325
>
>
> "David Beder [MSFT]" <dbeder@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:eVeK3p7pFHA.364@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> Does it say it's turned off via GP, or just that some settings are turned
>> off? is the Off option specifically selected on the General tab?
>>
>> --
>> David
>> Microsoft Windows Networking
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights.
>>
>>
>> "Bruce Musgrove" <blackhole26removeme@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:o y4UVE3pFHA.2416@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>>I have XP Firewall turned off by Group policy, yet it still pops up and
>>>me
>>> about blocking certain programs. Mainly I see it on DPMS.EXE right
>>> after
>>> installing Novell. I go to control panel and check the firewall and it
>>> says
>>> it is turned off by GPO.......
>>>
>>> Any ideas why?
>>>
>>> I am confused ;) 
>>> --
>>> Bruce M
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
!