Access Point

Hi
I would like to set up a wireless network at home mainly for file and
printer sharing ( I dont really need to share internet conection) I have pci
wireless network card in desktop, built in wireless card in laptop and
compact flash card for other laptop and pda. Problem! If I use wire
conection to AP from desktop I get "network cable unplugged" same if I
connect AP to laptop Lan card.
Both computers can pick up the AP wirelessly but software that came with AP
on desktop cant read info from AP.

US robotics AP (USR2249)

If somone can please point me in the rightdirection I will be eternally
gratefull.

Neville
9 answers Last reply
More about access point

    I see two possible problems:
    - you are trying to use a twisted LAN cable
    - You are using the correct cable but are using the WAN
    connection on the AP to connect your PC (should be a LAN
    port)
    Does this help at all?

    Hi

    On Laptop I have built in Lan and Wan the only cable I have is a straight
    through cable that came with AP

    I have tried putting Lan card in desktop but as soon as i connect cable I
    get "network cable unplugged" so I plugged AP into laptop lan same thing.

    If I dont plug in the cable, Desktop, Laptop and PDA are all picking up a
    network named USR2249 which is the model of my AP. Whilein this state I can
    ping Laptop from pda and pda from laptop but cant ping desktop from either.

    Also the setup software that came with AP says that when you run the program
    if you have setup everything correctly you will be able to see your AP
    number to make sure you are conecting to the correct one plus you will see
    name,IP no plus all settings but imnot see anything at all even though the
    AP is listed as an available network.

    Thanks
    Neville

    "JR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I see two possible problems:
    > - you are trying to use a twisted LAN cable
    > - You are using the correct cable but are using the WAN
    > connection on the AP to connect your PC (should be a LAN
    > port)
    > Does this help at all?

    Still sounds like you're trying to use the worng port on
    your Access point (the one that should connect to the
    Internet modem)....that's why it says "cable unplugged"
    How many LAN ports does your AP have, try another one if
    available.
    Now, when you have all machines on wireless, disable the
    firewall on the desktop. After this the ping should work
    fine. I suppose this machine is XP, right ?

    Hi JR

    The AP only has 1 port to connect Lan cable. the instruction say to connect
    cable from AP to either a Router, Modem or an existing wired Lan and as I
    have dialup connection (no broadband available where I live) and not really
    needing ICS then ive tried to connect to existing Lan but keep getting
    "network cable unplugged".

    The only reason I bought the AP was to get better connection as I had a
    ad-hoc connection working but AP I get stronger signal.

    > Still sounds like you're trying to use the worng port on
    > your Access point (the one that should connect to the
    > Internet modem)....that's why it says "cable unplugged"
    > How many LAN ports does your AP have, try another one if
    > available.
    > Now, when you have all machines on wireless, disable the
    > firewall on the desktop. After this the ping should work
    > fine. I suppose this machine is XP, right ?

    Hi Neville,
    Well that clears the issue then.
    The port on the AP is wired the same as a PC LAN port and
    the cable you have is a straight cable. This will enable
    you to connect the AP to an existing LAN, but not to
    another PC, as you would need a crossed LAN cable to do
    this.
    Try to find one (borrow one?) from a friend or else buy
    one, approx cost is 15-20$...
    You should however be able to configure your AP over the
    wireless connection without any problems.... So, I don't
    see the need in buying this crossed cable...

    Hi JR

    I have now installed software on Laptop and can configure AP wirelessly how
    should I set ip settings?

    > Hi Neville,
    > Well that clears the issue then.
    > The port on the AP is wired the same as a PC LAN port and
    > the cable you have is a straight cable. This will enable
    > you to connect the AP to an existing LAN, but not to
    > another PC, as you would need a crossed LAN cable to do
    > this.
    > Try to find one (borrow one?) from a friend or else buy
    > one, approx cost is 15-20$...
    > You should however be able to configure your AP over the
    > wireless connection without any problems.... So, I don't
    > see the need in buying this crossed cable...

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Hi Neville,

    Here how I picture your network setup...
    Your wireless AP is used to connect several computers
    together, no internet connection present through this AP.

    If this is correct then you should have DHCP enabled on
    your AP.
    For good wireless security, enable WEP on the wireless
    connection (you can add WEP later when all works to
    satisfaction).
    Another good security measure is enabling MAC address
    filtering. write down all MAC addresses from the wireless
    adapters that you want to be able to connect to the AP.
    The type them in the MAC filtering list in your AP. This
    will resfuse connection to any other MAC address that's
    not in this list. Although these security measures are
    not full proof, they will keep out the occasional Wifi
    surfer.
    Also a good suggestion: do not use channel 6, as it it
    the default channel for most AP's and mosty users do not
    chance their settings. You could have interference from
    your neighbors, if any...
    Hope it all helps a little.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Hi JR

    Thanks for all the help Ill try to finish my setup tommorow if allis well .

    > Hi Neville,
    >
    > Here how I picture your network setup...
    > Your wireless AP is used to connect several computers
    > together, no internet connection present through this AP.
    >
    > If this is correct then you should have DHCP enabled on
    > your AP.
    > For good wireless security, enable WEP on the wireless
    > connection (you can add WEP later when all works to
    > satisfaction).
    > Another good security measure is enabling MAC address
    > filtering. write down all MAC addresses from the wireless
    > adapters that you want to be able to connect to the AP.
    > The type them in the MAC filtering list in your AP. This
    > will resfuse connection to any other MAC address that's
    > not in this list. Although these security measures are
    > not full proof, they will keep out the occasional Wifi
    > surfer.
    > Also a good suggestion: do not use channel 6, as it it
    > the default channel for most AP's and mosty users do not
    > chance their settings. You could have interference from
    > your neighbors, if any...
    > Hope it all helps a little.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Hi JR

    Right!!!! got network working but if I set AP to DHCP then its a no go,
    if I give all PC,s a IP number everything works ok.
    I will now be trying to set up security as you suggested and hope everything
    goes better than setting up the network.

    Thanks for your help.
    Neville
    "Neville Hier" <neville@hier40.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

Wireless Networking