Local Security Policies

I'll try this question on this discussion group. I am having problems with
the Local Security Policy options after an upgrade.

"I was upgrading computers from Windows 2000 Professional to Windows XP.
I performed the recommended upgrade operation since that was simplest.
There were no problems during the process of upgrading. After the upgrade,
I installed service pack 2 but turned off the firewall. I found that
several options in the Local Security Policy / Security Options were
desensitized and they could not be set. This includes the 'Network Access:
Sharing and security model for local accounts' setting. Subsequently,
there seemed to be a security problem that disallowed applications from
connecting to the computer.

When I instead performed the full installation of Windows XP, the Local
Security Policy settings were not desensitized. What settings in XP could
be causing the security settings to be desensitized? I need to be able to
perform 2000 upgrades."

Second question. If I have another administrative user in XP, is there a
way to force the login page to include the Administrator user? Thanks.

I can't answer the first one, right now, but you can make the built in Administrator account visible on the Welcome Screen.

To enable the Administrator account on the new Windows XP logon screen, visit my web site, www.dougknox.com and go to the Windows XP section. Follow the link for Enable Administrator Account ......

This small VB Script will make the registry change necessary for the Administrator account to be available on the Welcome Screen. If you prefer to do it manually, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList\

Note: There is a space between Windows and NT in the above Key.

Add the Administrator account if necessary and/or change the Administrator value to 1

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.