Help with unblocking a Web site

August 24, 2005 12:49:28 AM

Somehow I inadvertently blocked a Web site on my home computer. All mail
from this site has images blocked and most links not working, and I can't
access the Web site in Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Netscape browsers
suddenly. However, if I read my email or try to access the site on another
computer, everything is fine.

I vaguely remember clicking something having to do with the content on this
page being "unsigned," but I haven't been able to find a way to fix the
problem. When I've cleared cookies, history, cache, files, and unchecked all
security everywhere, I sometimes can access the Web site until I close the
browser and re-open it (even with no changes made), but the images and links
are still blocked in my hotmail.

I have searched the Web, searched the Knowledge Base, and I can't locate any
advice I haven't tried already (e.g., trusted sites, etc.).

Can someone help? This is extremely annoying. The site is a favorite
"shopping" site for me!

More about : unblocking web site

August 24, 2005 2:34:32 PM

In news:9BC0AC48-D974-41F5-91A0-ECCF68078D9C@microsoft.com,
Myra W. Abbit <MyraWAbbit@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Somehow I inadvertently blocked a Web site on my home computer. All
> mail from this site has images blocked and most links not working,
> and I can't access the Web site in Internet Explorer, Firefox, or
> Netscape browsers suddenly. However, if I read my email or try to
> access the site on another computer, everything is fine.
>
> I vaguely remember clicking something having to do with the content
> on this page being "unsigned," but I haven't been able to find a way
> to fix the problem. When I've cleared cookies, history, cache,
> files, and unchecked all security everywhere, I sometimes can access
> the Web site until I close the browser and re-open it (even with no
> changes made), but the images and links are still blocked in my
> hotmail.
>
> I have searched the Web, searched the Knowledge Base, and I can't
> locate any advice I haven't tried already (e.g., trusted sites, etc.).
>
> Can someone help? This is extremely annoying. The site is a favorite
> "shopping" site for me!

You've enabled content advisor. Turn it off by opening IE, clickin on tools,
options, content...

If you don't know the password:

Content Advisor Password Remover:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/caremover.html

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 2:34:33 PM

Sorry, that's not it. Content advisor is not enabled. :(  But thanks for
trying!

"Galen" wrote:

> You've enabled content advisor. Turn it off by opening IE, clickin on tools,
> options, content...
>
> If you don't know the password:
>
> Content Advisor Password Remover:
> http://www.snapfiles.com/get/caremover.html
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
> its solution is its own reward."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

August 24, 2005 11:04:02 PM

I'm having the same type of problem that wasn't remedied by the content
advisor. I want to get into a secure site and can't from my computer.
Apparently, if you have all of the newest windows downloads you should be
able to go to start, control panel and into the security center icon to turn
things on or off. For some reason (McAffee Security Center???) I don't have
this icon so I can't give you further instructions.

"Myra W. Abbit" wrote:

> Sorry, that's not it. Content advisor is not enabled. :(  But thanks for
> trying!
>
> "Galen" wrote:
>

> > You've enabled content advisor. Turn it off by opening IE, clickin on tools,
> > options, content...
> >
> > If you don't know the password:
> >
> > Content Advisor Password Remover:
> > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/caremover.html
> >
> > Galen
> > --
> >
> > "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
> > its solution is its own reward."
> >
> > Sherlock Holmes

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 10:37:04 AM

I have the security icon, and I've tried turning off the firewall and
changing settings, but it hasn't helped. If it helps anyone, the site I'm
having trouble with is http://www.mypoints.com and email from them
(BonusMailReply@mypoints.com), both of which work fine on all other computers
except this one. I've compared security settings, and I still can't find the
trouble.

"S M D" wrote:

> I'm having the same type of problem that wasn't remedied by the content
> advisor. I want to get into a secure site and can't from my computer.
> Apparently, if you have all of the newest windows downloads you should be
> able to go to start, control panel and into the security center icon to turn
> things on or off. For some reason (McAffee Security Center???) I don't have
> this icon so I can't give you further instructions.

August 25, 2005 3:54:30 PM

In news:D F5EC501-EFEF-465C-8CDA-CC34D75886BB@microsoft.com,
Myra W. Abbit <MyraWAbbit@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I have the security icon, and I've tried turning off the firewall and
> changing settings, but it hasn't helped. If it helps anyone, the
> site I'm having trouble with is http://www.mypoints.com and email
> from them (BonusMailReply@mypoints.com), both of which work fine on
> all other computers except this one. I've compared security
> settings, and I still can't find the trouble.
>
> "S M D" wrote:
>
>> I'm having the same type of problem that wasn't remedied by the
>> content advisor. I want to get into a secure site and can't from my
>> computer. Apparently, if you have all of the newest windows
>> downloads you should be able to go to start, control panel and into
>> the security center icon to turn things on or off. For some reason
>> (McAffee Security Center???) I don't have this icon so I can't give
>> you further instructions.

How to troubleshoot problems accessing secure Web pages:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=870700&p...

Does that apply?

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 3:54:31 PM

Galen:

Unfortunately, I'd already found that support page and tried everything on
the list before I came here to ask for help :(  As I said, this problem is
ANNOYING.

"Galen" wrote:

> How to troubleshoot problems accessing secure Web pages:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=870700&p...
>
> Does that apply?
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
> its solution is its own reward."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

August 26, 2005 2:40:23 AM

In news:56D3CA8D-BF98-4333-8CFA-CE446369360E@microsoft.com,
Myra W. Abbit <MyraWAbbit@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Galen:
>
> Unfortunately, I'd already found that support page and tried
> everything on the list before I came here to ask for help :(  As I
> said, this problem is ANNOYING.
>

> "Galen" wrote:
>

>> How to troubleshoot problems accessing secure Web pages:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=870700&p...
>>
>> Does that apply?
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
>> its solution is its own reward."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

Hmm... This is an odd one? Have you tried your hosts file yet?

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Is there an entry in there that's setting the site to either 0.0.0.0 or
127.0.0.1?

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 12:09:05 PM

I checked the hosts setting--nothing there. You're right; this is a very odd
problem!

"Galen" wrote:

> Hmm... This is an odd one? Have you tried your hosts file yet?
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
>
> Is there an entry in there that's setting the site to either 0.0.0.0 or
> 127.0.0.1?
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
> its solution is its own reward."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

August 27, 2005 8:57:12 AM

In news:C12B11CF-FD41-4EA1-96BB-32D149731C62@microsoft.com,
Myra W. Abbit <MyraWAbbit@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I checked the hosts setting--nothing there. You're right; this is a
> very odd problem!
>
> "Galen" wrote:
>
>> Hmm... This is an odd one? Have you tried your hosts file yet?
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
>>
>> Is there an entry in there that's setting the site to either 0.0.0.0
>> or 127.0.0.1?
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
>> its solution is its own reward."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

Hmm... Do you have a firewall or another internet filtering application
installed? Something, say Zone Alarm or Norton, that has the ability to
block a single site?

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 9:49:24 AM

I use the Windows firewall, but I've made sure no sites are blocked and I
even tried turning it off entirely. Curiouser and curiouser.

"Galen" wrote:

> Hmm... Do you have a firewall or another internet filtering application
> installed? Something, say Zone Alarm or Norton, that has the ability to
> block a single site?
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
> its solution is its own reward."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

August 27, 2005 2:31:27 PM

In news:10F23623-B329-4943-9754-DF06FA2F9891@microsoft.com,
Myra W. Abbit <MyraWAbbit@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I use the Windows firewall, but I've made sure no sites are blocked
> and I even tried turning it off entirely. Curiouser and curiouser.
>

> "Galen" wrote:
>
>> Hmm... Do you have a firewall or another internet filtering
>> application installed? Something, say Zone Alarm or Norton, that has
>> the ability to block a single site?
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
>> its solution is its own reward."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

Well, hmm... It's a .VM extension at mypoints.com is there some chance you
have scripting disabled? Where exactly is this problem coming in? I
understand that emails from them are problematic but what do you see when
you go to the site itself? It's making me wonder if maybe you have some
scripting disabled or not. How about if you put the site into the trusted
zone? What's curious is what it would be doing to effect emails. Initially
it seemed likely that you'd blocked it with either the content advisor or a
third party application or that it was a secure page issue but, well, now
it's not really as likely seeming. Hmm... I don't suppose you have Java
installed? http://java.sun.com ?

Galen
--

!