Sapphire X850 XT Pe failing ?

Normally I would be able to swap out the vid card and make
sure that it is the problem, but this is the only PCI-EX card I
have. So does this sound like the vid card is the problem?

There are columns of color rectangles that appear to be on a
layer over the normal display. They sometimes come and go
and if I try a graphic intensive game it will sometimes lockut
the system with a black screen, right away and sometimes it
can go for awhile before that happens. I can post to a NG,
like I'm doing now, through the corruption overlaying the
screen. I can play Freecell or Solitaire for a long time,also.

Running the cursor over buttons can clear them up
temporarily, or mess them up more, or make them appear
& disappear.

Everything was working great, then this corruption suddenly
appeared and the system crashed. Ran a virus and Trojan
scan with nothing detected. I'm behind a router firewall.

My system and GPU temps are like they have always been.

I reinstalled the same Omega drivers I have been running,
and no change.

Any ideas as to what might be happening? Does it sound like
it's the vid card for sure?

Luck;
Ken

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 06:58:22 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Normally I would be able to swap out the vid card and make
>sure that it is the problem, but this is the only PCI-EX card I
>have. So does this sound like the vid card is the problem?
>
> There are columns of color rectangles that appear to be on a
>layer over the normal display. They sometimes come and go
>and if I try a graphic intensive game it will sometimes lockut
>the system with a black screen, right away and sometimes it
>can go for awhile before that happens. I can post to a NG,
>like I'm doing now, through the corruption overlaying the
>screen. I can play Freecell or Solitaire for a long time,also.
>
> Running the cursor over buttons can clear them up
>temporarily, or mess them up more, or make them appear
>& disappear.
>
> Everything was working great, then this corruption suddenly
>appeared and the system crashed. Ran a virus and Trojan
>scan with nothing detected. I'm behind a router firewall.
>
> My system and GPU temps are like they have always been.
>
> I reinstalled the same Omega drivers I have been running,
>and no change.
>
>Any ideas as to what might be happening? Does it sound like
>it's the vid card for sure?

Perhaps a malfunctioning pipeline?
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

www.richardsuk.f9.co.uk
Website of "Robot Wars" middleweight "Broadsword IV"

Your motherboard has free PCI slots? Got a cheap Rage II or S3 Virge stashed
in the garage somewhere?

> Your motherboard has free PCI slots? Got a cheap Rage II or S3 Virge
> stashed in the garage somewhere?

I did find a S3 Trio 32/64, and there are no artifacts or other
problems ( with as much as the 2meg card can handle). I am
very surprised at just how much it can handle, just about every
thing I've tried on the 2D side is working fine. And it is a shock,
how much of what I use my system for, only needs 2D.

So anyway, it definitely is the X850 XT Pe that has failed. Now
I guess I'll see if Monarch's Customer Service is any good. I can
go without games for a while and this 2D card works pretty well
for most other things.

Thanks, all;
Ken