  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 24, 2005 2:35:05 PM

where do I start?

More about : create mod hl2

February 24, 2005 8:04:38 PM

Got the HL2?

"RL" <lrlemieux@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%mnTd.19459$uO.650244@news20.bellglobal.com...
> where do I start?

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:40:42 PM

"RL" wrote

> where do I start?
Depends a little what kind of mod you want to create

What skills do you have?
Programming (C++), Graphics and Art, 3D modeling, Architecture, Sound
engineering, Acting, general computer and science, etc

- Peter
February 25, 2005 2:46:13 AM

RL wrote:
> where do I start?

Run Steam, download the "Source SDK" (assuming you have HL2 as well),
start from there...
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 3:30:03 AM

RL wrote:
> where do I start?

To start with, check out these 2 sites for HL2 editing:

http://collective.valve-erc.com
http://www.thewavelength.net

Also, I suggest you get the HL2 SDK from Steam if you haven't done
already, and check out the documentation on there.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

All these modern celebrities are endorsing supermarket products now...
I got a pack of sausages from Tesco the other day and there was this
picture of Anthony Worral Thompson on the front. Below, it read 'prick
with a fork'.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 4:11:36 AM

Ben Cottrell wrote:
> RL wrote:
> > where do I start?
>
> To start with, check out these 2 sites for HL2 editing:
>
> http://collective.valve-erc.com
> http://www.thewavelength.net
>
> Also, I suggest you get the HL2 SDK from Steam if you haven't done
> already, and check out the documentation on there.

Exactly as Ben says. Those two sites will give you tons of stuff to
start with. I recommend looking for a beginners guide to help you build
your first room because a) this will teach you some of the fundamental
concepts and tools, and b) you'll get the satisfaction of being able to
run around a real map that you built very quickly (even if it is just
an empty square box).

All the monsters, weapons, sounds, textures, objects, vehicles,
everything from the HL2 game are available to you to build with, and
probably some others that didn't make it into the final game. If you
want different stuff, then you'll need to use modelling programs to
create new monsters, weapons etc, and as Peter mentions, you'll need to
write the code to make them work and record new sounds and textures for
them - this is a whole new ball game and if you're new to modding I
really suggest you stick to the existing stuff.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 1:34:51 PM

"Chadwick" wrote

> Those two sites will give you tons of stuff to start with.

Not to forget:

Editing/tutorials
http://www.snarkpit.com
http://www.hl2word.com
http://www.akilling.org/akg
http://forum.interlopers.net/viewforum.php?f=7
Video Tutorials
http://www.mnemic.tk/

General info
http://collective.valve-erc.com

Tools:
Decompile
http://www.geocities.com/cofrdrbob/
Texture editing
http://www.hl2source.com/?content=projects&id=vtftool
GCFScape, Terrain generator, batch compiling
http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/
compile tools
http://www.zhlt.tk/

Just what I can think of on top of my head

A copy from a sticky at VERC Network Forums

Third-Party Tutorial Sites
http://gamewag.com/hl2.html - Directory of tutorials and resources.
http://www.snarkpit.com/editing.php?page=tutorials
http://www.hl2world.com/wiki/index.php/HL2World_Knowled...
http://sourcedc.com/mapping.php?cat=1
http://www.hl2mapping.com/
http://www.akilling.org/akg/
http://news.leakfree.org/
http://www.editlife.net/

Other Resources
http://www.digital-input.net/other/HL2_model_list.txt
http://www.chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/cftools.htm - Useful utilities.
http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/ - Useful utilities, including GCFscape.
http://www.wunderboy.org/3d_games/utils/sourcetools.php - Useful utilities.
http://coding.web.surftown.se/lw2smd/ - Lightwave model exporter.

And much much more probably :)

- Peter
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 4:43:31 PM

Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
> http://www.hl2world.com
^
i fixed your pots :)

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

All these modern celebrities are endorsing supermarket products now...
I got a pack of sausages from Tesco the other day and there was this
picture of Anthony Worral Thompson on the front. Below, it read 'prick
with a fork'.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 6:04:13 PM

"Ben Cottrell" wrote