8 answers Last reply
More about create

    Got the HL2?

    "RL" <lrlemieux@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:%mnTd.19459$uO.650244@news20.bellglobal.com...
    > where do I start?

    "RL" wrote

    > where do I start?
    Depends a little what kind of mod you want to create

    What skills do you have?
    Programming (C++), Graphics and Art, 3D modeling, Architecture, Sound
    engineering, Acting, general computer and science, etc

    - Peter

    RL wrote:
    > where do I start?

    Run Steam, download the "Source SDK" (assuming you have HL2 as well),
    start from there...

    RL wrote:
    > where do I start?

    To start with, check out these 2 sites for HL2 editing:

    http://collective.valve-erc.com
    http://www.thewavelength.net

    Also, I suggest you get the HL2 SDK from Steam if you haven't done
    already, and check out the documentation on there.

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    All these modern celebrities are endorsing supermarket products now...
    I got a pack of sausages from Tesco the other day and there was this
    picture of Anthony Worral Thompson on the front. Below, it read 'prick
    with a fork'.

    Ben Cottrell wrote:
    > RL wrote:
    > > where do I start?
    >
    > To start with, check out these 2 sites for HL2 editing:
    >
    > http://collective.valve-erc.com
    > http://www.thewavelength.net
    >
    > Also, I suggest you get the HL2 SDK from Steam if you haven't done
    > already, and check out the documentation on there.

    Exactly as Ben says. Those two sites will give you tons of stuff to
    start with. I recommend looking for a beginners guide to help you build
    your first room because a) this will teach you some of the fundamental
    concepts and tools, and b) you'll get the satisfaction of being able to
    run around a real map that you built very quickly (even if it is just
    an empty square box).

    All the monsters, weapons, sounds, textures, objects, vehicles,
    everything from the HL2 game are available to you to build with, and
    probably some others that didn't make it into the final game. If you
    want different stuff, then you'll need to use modelling programs to
    create new monsters, weapons etc, and as Peter mentions, you'll need to
    write the code to make them work and record new sounds and textures for
    them - this is a whole new ball game and if you're new to modding I
    really suggest you stick to the existing stuff.

    "Chadwick" wrote

    > Those two sites will give you tons of stuff to start with.

    Not to forget:

    Editing/tutorials
    http://www.snarkpit.com
    http://www.hl2word.com
    http://www.akilling.org/akg
    http://forum.interlopers.net/viewforum.php?f=7
    Video Tutorials
    http://www.mnemic.tk/

    General info
    http://collective.valve-erc.com

    Tools:
    Decompile
    http://www.geocities.com/cofrdrbob/
    Texture editing
    http://www.hl2source.com/?content=projects&id=vtftool
    GCFScape, Terrain generator, batch compiling
    http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/
    compile tools
    http://www.zhlt.tk/

    Just what I can think of on top of my head

    A copy from a sticky at VERC Network Forums

    Third-Party Tutorial Sites
    http://gamewag.com/hl2.html - Directory of tutorials and resources.
    http://www.snarkpit.com/editing.php?page=tutorials
    http://www.hl2world.com/wiki/index.php/HL2World_Knowledge_Base
    http://sourcedc.com/mapping.php?cat=1
    http://www.hl2mapping.com/
    http://www.akilling.org/akg/
    http://news.leakfree.org/
    http://www.editlife.net/

    Other Resources
    http://www.digital-input.net/other/HL2_model_list.txt
    http://www.chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/cftools.htm - Useful utilities.
    http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/ - Useful utilities, including GCFscape.
    http://www.wunderboy.org/3d_games/utils/sourcetools.php - Useful utilities.
    http://coding.web.surftown.se/lw2smd/ - Lightwave model exporter.

    And much much more probably :)

    - Peter

    Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
    > http://www.hl2world.com
    ^
    i fixed your pots :)

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    All these modern celebrities are endorsing supermarket products now...
    I got a pack of sausages from Tesco the other day and there was this
    picture of Anthony Worral Thompson on the front. Below, it read 'prick
    with a fork'.

    "Ben Cottrell" wrote

    > Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
    >> http://www.hl2world.com