monitoring heat

Hello,

short question: is it possible to monitor the heat on a radeon 8500 card?
I am having the well-known problem that the vpu recover function has to
come into action a little too often (say: every two minutes) and I thought
it may be a heat problem.

--
Frank Van Damme

What happens if you turn off VPU recover in the driver panels?

"yalu" <frank-junk@mail.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> short question: is it possible to monitor the heat on a radeon 8500 card?
> I am having the well-known problem that the vpu recover function has to
> come into action a little too often (say: every two minutes) and I thought
> it may be a heat problem.
>

> --
> Frank Van Damme

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"yalu" <frank-junk@mail.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> short question: is it possible to monitor the heat on a radeon 8500 card?
> I am having the well-known problem that the vpu recover function has to
> come into action a little too often (say: every two minutes) and I thought
> it may be a heat problem.

There's no built in thermal monitoring on the 8500 GPU. Check for correct
fan function and case temp/ airflow around the card. In my experience with
the 8500 128Mb, it would not take much more than 305-310Mhz on the GPU. At
stock clocks, it should never crash due to heat issues.

"yalu" <frank-junk@mail.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> short question: is it possible to monitor the heat on a radeon 8500 card?
> I am having the well-known problem that the vpu recover function has to
> come into action a little too often (say: every two minutes) and I thought
> it may be a heat problem.

Download everest from www.lavalys.com. It's sensor page might find a fintek
monitoring chip on the grpahics card.

> What happens if you turn off VPU recover in the driver panels?

While VPU may be useful to some I have never really liked it. Doesnt mean
its no good just that for me it caused more problems than it helped. It
always seemed TOO sensitive so now I just leave the thing off 24/7.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 06:53:15 -0600, "Bratboy"
<DontBother@Takeallthisaway.tde.com> wrote:

>"First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> What happens if you turn off VPU recover in the driver panels?
>>

>While VPU may be useful to some I have never really liked it. Doesnt mean
>its no good just that for me it caused more problems than it helped. It
>always seemed TOO sensitive so now I just leave the thing off 24/7.

I think a lot of us do the same, Bratboy. VPU Recover definitely
seems to be one of those features that seem to be more of a hindrance
by causing crashes than a help by aiding recovery.

Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:05:40 +0000, Augustus wrote:

> There's no built in thermal monitoring on the 8500 GPU. Check for correct
> fan function and case temp/ airflow around the card. In my experience with
> the 8500 128Mb, it would not take much more than 305-310Mhz on the GPU. At
> stock clocks, it should never crash due to heat issues.

Case temperature is about 40°C, nothing in my system is overclocked. The
fan on the GPU is running also.

--
Frank Van Damme

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 16:15:11 -0400, First of One wrote:

> What happens if you turn off VPU recover in the driver panels?

Then the system will just lock up instead of attempting to recover.

It also happened that I got a warning "vpu recover was unable to fully
recover bla bla, you have to reboot your computer". Games don't work after
I get such an error message, so rebooting is the only option.

--
Frank Van Damme