One user can copy a file, another user cannot

I ran into a situation on my Win XP system where my wife could not copy a
file using Windows Explorer but I was able to with my Login ID. Both Login
IDs have Computer Administrator access.

What could cause this? I thought the Computer Administrators could access
all files.

This seems to have started when I setup a "Guest_User" login with limited
access rights. Or maybe it was just a coincidence.
2 answers Last reply
More about user copy file user cannot

    Actually the Administrator group does not always have the permissions to
    acces some files or folders. The reason you can acces them but not your wife
    is that these are probably the owner of the said documents. I do not know how
    to do it on XP home but in XP Professional in order to solve the problem you
    just have to view the properties of the file or folder in question. Scoose
    Security tab and add the permissions for the administrator group.

    "LD" wrote:

    > I ran into a situation on my Win XP system where my wife could not copy a
    > file using Windows Explorer but I was able to with my Login ID. Both Login
    > IDs have Computer Administrator access.
    >
    > What could cause this? I thought the Computer Administrators could access
    > all files.
    >
    > This seems to have started when I setup a "Guest_User" login with limited
    > access rights. Or maybe it was just a coincidence.

    Why would my wife's access to this file suddenly change?
    We definitely didn't manipulate the properties of that file.

    We are using XP Pro. At work right now (also XP Pro) I checked the
    Properties of some of my files. There is no area listed to set access
    rights. Is there a feature like "Use Access Rights for Files" that needs to
    be turned on first?

    "Alphard" wrote:

    > Actually the Administrator group does not always have the permissions to
    > acces some files or folders. The reason you can acces them but not your wife
    > is that these are probably the owner of the said documents. I do not know how
    > to do it on XP home but in XP Professional in order to solve the problem you
    > just have to view the properties of the file or folder in question. Scoose
    > Security tab and add the permissions for the administrator group.
    >
    > "LD" wrote:
    >
    > > I ran into a situation on my Win XP system where my wife could not copy a
    > > file using Windows Explorer but I was able to with my Login ID. Both Login
    > > IDs have Computer Administrator access.
    > >
    > > What could cause this? I thought the Computer Administrators could access
    > > all files.
    > >
    > > This seems to have started when I setup a "Guest_User" login with limited
    > > access rights. Or maybe it was just a coincidence.

Login Computers Windows XP