Stay with 8500 or go to 9600 XT

Just a question as to whether or not I should upgrade from a 8500(128
Mb) to a 9600 XT(256Mb). I'm not a gamer, but I have read some pretty
disfavorable reviews on the 9600. If I can get one for under $100 Cdn,
what's everyone's opinion. Like I said, I'm not a gamer. I just rip
movies and newsgroups basically. I'm happy with my 8500 but I'd like
something that will compliment the vista beta release (DX 9).
Sarge®
Member IPL, VAC, RCAA
PGP Key 0x59DDC455

"Sarge®" <sarge@dontbother.com> wrote in message
> Just a question as to whether or not I should upgrade from a 8500(128
> Mb) to a 9600 XT(256Mb). I'm not a gamer, but I have read some pretty
> disfavorable reviews on the 9600. If I can get one for under $100 Cdn,
> what's everyone's opinion. Like I said, I'm not a gamer. I just rip
> movies and newsgroups basically. I'm happy with my 8500 but I'd like
> something that will compliment the vista beta release (DX 9).
> Sarge®
> Member IPL, VAC, RCAA
> PGP Key 0x59DDC455

I got 2 ati 9600xt cards. They work very well on my 754 mbs.

xman

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Sarge®" <sarge@dontbother.com> wrote in message
> Just a question as to whether or not I should upgrade from a 8500(128
> Mb) to a 9600 XT(256Mb). I'm not a gamer, but I have read some pretty
> disfavorable reviews on the 9600. If I can get one for under $100 Cdn,
> what's everyone's opinion. Like I said, I'm not a gamer. I just rip
> movies and newsgroups basically. I'm happy with my 8500 but I'd like
> something that will compliment the vista beta release (DX 9).
> Sarge®
> Member IPL, VAC, RCAA
> PGP Key 0x59DDC455

There's no reason upgrade from an 8500 128Mb given your stated requirements.
Enabling all of the eye candy visuals in Vista (if they even exist in the
first beta)will just slow down the system to a crawl. The $100 would be
better spent on another gig of memory, if it's like every other new MS
operating system . The 8500 128Mb is a decent card. I had one for a long
time and upgraded to a 9600XT then a 9800 Pro for gaming. The 9600XT is in
my wife's XP3200+ system. The 8500, in my opinion, has better 2D output. You
won't get a 9600XT 128Mb or 256Mb for $100Cdn in any event. If you really
feel you need a decent DX9.0 card for Vista beta, then NCIX has the Sapphire
256bit 9800 Pro 128Mb card on sale for $157 Cdn right now.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=9863&vpn=102A0751800079764&manufacture=SAPPHIRE&promoid=1026

HI,

I've posted a probelms i've been having regarding booting up problems.
Think its either PSU or GPU - i have the same system as your wife -
have you had any problems - whats the PSU in that system mines only
300w.

Asus SmartDoctor keeps telling me know-and-then that fan, chipset or
voltage is not right (apart from that it's fine!)

Cannot play any 3D game for more tha 15 mins before freezing. All
started a month ago playing BF2 and VPU recover messages.

Any ideas.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 05:34:43 GMT, "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net>
yelling "The Guns, The Guns, Thank God the Guns" stated;

>"Sarge®" <sarge@dontbother.com> wrote in message
>> Just a question as to whether or not I should upgrade from a 8500(128
>> Mb) to a 9600 XT(256Mb). I'm not a gamer, but I have read some pretty
>> disfavorable reviews on the 9600. If I can get one for under $100 Cdn,
>> what's everyone's opinion. Like I said, I'm not a gamer. I just rip
>> movies and newsgroups basically. I'm happy with my 8500 but I'd like
>> something that will compliment the vista beta release (DX 9).
>> Sarge®
>> Member IPL, VAC, RCAA
>> PGP Key 0x59DDC455
>
>There's no reason upgrade from an 8500 128Mb given your stated requirements.
>Enabling all of the eye candy visuals in Vista (if they even exist in the
>first beta)will just slow down the system to a crawl. The $100 would be
>better spent on another gig of memory, if it's like every other new MS
>operating system . The 8500 128Mb is a decent card. I had one for a long
>time and upgraded to a 9600XT then a 9800 Pro for gaming. The 9600XT is in
>my wife's XP3200+ system. The 8500, in my opinion, has better 2D output. You
>won't get a 9600XT 128Mb or 256Mb for $100Cdn in any event. If you really
>feel you need a decent DX9.0 card for Vista beta, then NCIX has the Sapphire
>256bit 9800 Pro 128Mb card on sale for $157 Cdn right now.
>http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=9863&vpn=102A0751800079764&manufacture=SAPPHIRE&promoid=1026

Thanks guys

Sarge®
Member IPL, VAC, RCAA