Locking down XP. No domain.

Hi.

I need to further limit the user accounts on a number of XP machines.
Something in the lines of GP would be nice but I think that can be done only
in domain environment? Anyways my questions is what are my options.

I am looking for ways to lock the desktop, user preferences/customization etc.

Thank you,
Tarmo
7 answers Last reply
More about locking domain

    This works for both XP and 2K it uses local policy though but if you save the
    file to disk you may be able to apply the ploicy to multiple machines.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293655
    --
    Don Kendrick

    In news:C20C5A9C-D590-4A5F-8E66-08740872369C@microsoft.com,
    Alphard <Alphard@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I need to further limit the user accounts on a number of XP machines.
    > Something in the lines of GP would be nice but I think that can be
    > done only in domain environment? Anyways my questions is what are my
    > options.
    >
    > I am looking for ways to lock the desktop, user
    > preferences/customization etc.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Tarmo

    XP Home, or Pro? Home is fairly crippled and I don't believe you can use
    group policy in it. With Pro, go to start | run, type gpedit.msc, and away
    you go.

    Be careful you don't lock yourself out of anything!

    Thanks for reply.

    Its XP Pro. However If I change user configuration doesn't that affect just
    the currently logged on user? how to assign policy to another account? I am
    prolly just missing something simple here. Also I bet once I compile the kind
    of setup I want for a user I can export it to a file and import on another
    computer?

    Thanks

    Alphard wrote:
    > *Hi.
    >
    > I need to further limit the user accounts on a number of XP
    > machines.
    > Something in the lines of GP would be nice but I think that can be
    > done only
    > in domain environment? Anyways my questions is what are my options.
    >
    > I am looking for ways to lock the desktop, user
    > preferences/customization etc.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Tarmo *

    Hi

    Try this http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
    Excellent utility, easy to use & configure using tick boxes.
    Regards

    CReWdog

    --
    CReWdog

    See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Windows XP Security Console.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    In news:63EC44EB-EB59-413C-B87F-BFEE226B8755@microsoft.com,
    Alphard <Alphard@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    > Thanks for reply.
    >
    > Its XP Pro. However If I change user configuration doesn't that
    > affect just the currently logged on user?

    Nope.

    > how to assign policy to
    > another account?

    Policies aren't per-user like that....

    > I am prolly just missing something simple here.

    Group policy can lock down the whole shebang, but in reading the other
    replies to your post, I think the Doug Knox utility will be a better bet for
    you. Try it and see.

    > Also
    > I bet once I compile the kind of setup I want for a user I can export
    > it to a file and import on another computer?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    >> In news:C20C5A9C-D590-4A5F-8E66-08740872369C@microsoft.com,
    >> Alphard <Alphard@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>> Hi.
    >>>
    >>> I need to further limit the user accounts on a number of XP
    >>> machines. Something in the lines of GP would be nice but I think
    >>> that can be done only in domain environment? Anyways my questions
    >>> is what are my options.
    >>>
    >>> I am looking for ways to lock the desktop, user
    >>> preferences/customization etc.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you,
    >>> Tarmo
    >>
    >> XP Home, or Pro? Home is fairly crippled and I don't believe you can
    >> use group policy in it. With Pro, go to start | run, type
    >> gpedit.msc, and away you go.
    >>
    >> Be careful you don't lock yourself out of anything!

    Thank you all for replies

    Alphard

    > See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Windows XP Security Console.

    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "Alphard" <Alphard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C20C5A9C-D590-4A5F-8E66-08740872369C@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi.
    > >
    > > I need to further limit the user accounts on a number of XP machines.
    > > Something in the lines of GP would be nice but I think that can be done only
    > > in domain environment? Anyways my questions is what are my options.
    > >
    > > I am looking for ways to lock the desktop, user preferences/customization etc.
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > > Tarmo

Domain Windows XP