Encryption

I just reformated and i backed up to my hard drive. My files were encrypted
under my old accounts user certificate so i dont have access to them.
How do i erase the encryption?
P.S the cipher command doesn't work...
3 answers Last reply
More about encryption

    Cooky wrote:

    > I just reformated and i backed up to my hard drive. My files were
    > encrypted under my old accounts user certificate so i dont have access
    > to them. How do i erase the encryption?
    > P.S the cipher command doesn't work...

    If you did not back up your keys onto removable media, you are out of
    luck. You cannot "erase" the encryption. Here is information about XP's
    encryption to help you:

    http://tinyurl.com/6l6xx - MS information about EFS (Encryption)
    http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html - Encrypted files retrieval
    application

    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm - encryption info
    http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/ - more encryption
    info
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/private.htm - making stuff private

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    HOW TO: Remove File Encryption in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;3089­93

    http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3084­21

    Best Practices for the Encrypting File System
    http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;2233­16

    EFS Files Appear Corrupted When You Open Them
    http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3297­41

    Decrypt Encrypted files on Windows XP
    http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/windowsxp/articles/456/1/Decrypt-Encrypted-files-on-Windows-XP

    Windows Encrypted File System (EFS)
    http://leoville.tv/radio/pmwiki.php/Main/WindowsEncryptedFileSystem

    Advanced EFS Data Recovery
    http://download2pc.com/9/107/Advanced-EFS-Data-Recovery-4842.html

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Cooky" <Cooky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just reformated and i backed up to my hard drive. My files were encrypted
    > under my old accounts user certificate so i dont have access to them.
    > How do i erase the encryption?
    > P.S the cipher command doesn't work...

    After installing the fresh copy of Windows, now you need to import the EFS
    security certificate that you used before so it matches with the one that
    was used when you previously encrypted your files. If you neglected to
    export your EFS certificate so it is available for import, those encrypted
    files are inaccessible to you from now on.

    If you made a drive image of your OS partition under which you had created
    the EFS certificate then you could restore it, reboot into it, export your
    EFS certificate, and then do the format and fresh install and import the old
    EFS certificate.

    E-mail: Remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" to Subject.

Encryption Microsoft Windows XP