Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to hide the attributes of a file,
without hiding the file itself.

I've got a file in a folder, and even if I set the advanced security
properties so that the 'Read Attributes' permission is denied, anyone with
access to the folder can still see the access times etc.

Am I misunderstanding what Read Attributes actually means?

Thanks,

Ben

What are file attributes, and how can I change them?
http://kb.iu.edu/data/aift.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Ben" wrote:

| Hi
|
| Can anyone tell me if it's possible to hide the attributes of a file,
| without hiding the file itself.
|
| I've got a file in a folder, and even if I set the advanced security
| properties so that the 'Read Attributes' permission is denied, anyone with
| access to the folder can still see the access times etc.
|
| Am I misunderstanding what Read Attributes actually means?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Ben

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi Carey

Thanks for your reply.

I understand a bit better what file attributes are... but I'm still unclear
about the Read Attributes permission (in properties \ security tab \
advanced dialog) - can anyone describe what it does?!

Whatever I try, whether 'Read Attributes' is permitted or denied, the user
can always see the file attributes... Surely it does *something*!?

Thanks

Ben