"C:\WINDOWS\System32" pops up everytime I start my computer. I have run
Spybot S&D and installed Microsoft's antispyware. HELP!!!

Thank you in advance.

System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086

For an automated Edit go here:

Read the instructions at the top of the page.
Scroll down to:
260. Right hand side.
System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:64C2A5CA-0814-4C52-B7B4-F3ABFB24D913@microsoft.com,
sccola <sccola@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> "C:\WINDOWS\System32" pops up everytime I start my computer. I have run
> Spybot S&D and installed Microsoft's antispyware. HELP!!!
>
> Thank you in advance.

I tried the aoutomatic fix, and got this message "this script cannot repair
your issue. The expected Registry value was not found."

I am too initmidated to try the manual fix, after reading all the warnings
about screwing up my system.

Anymore suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

sccola

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
>
> For an automated Edit go here:
>
> Read the instructions at the top of the page.
> Scroll down to:
> 260. Right hand side.
> System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:64C2A5CA-0814-4C52-B7B4-F3ABFB24D913@microsoft.com,
> sccola <sccola@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > "C:\WINDOWS\System32" pops up everytime I start my computer. I have run
> > Spybot S&D and installed Microsoft's antispyware. HELP!!!
> >
> > Thank you in advance.

sccola,

xp_system32opens.vbs is looking for the value SB Audigy 2 Startup Menu
in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Since the script didn't find SB Audigy 2 Startup Menu, you received,
"This script cannot repair your issue. The expected Registry value was not
found."

This fix, obviously, doesn't fix everything related to System32 Folder Opens
When...

Go here and read the instructions...
System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086

Open the Registry Editor...
Start | Run | Type: regedit | Click OK |
Navigate to >>>
Right click on the Run folder and select Export.
An Export Registry File window will popup.
Click Desktop in the left hand pane.
Type HKCU in the File name box.
Click the V in the Save as type box and select Text Files (*.txt).
Click the Save button.
A file named HKCU.txt will appear on your Desktop.

Navigate to >>>
Right click on the Run folder and select Export.
An Export Registry File window will popup.
Click Desktop in the left hand pane.
Type HKLM in the File name box.
Click the V in the Save as type box and select Text Files (*.txt).
Click the Save button.
A file named HKLM.txt will appear on your Desktop.

Close the Registry Editor.

Copy and paste all the text from HKCU.txt and HKLM.txt into a message and
post back. Someone will help you find the goofy entry causing the problem.

You will see something simalar too this...
Key Name:
Class Name: <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time: 7/7/2005 - 11:29 PM
Value 0
Name: My Indexdat Killer
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\run.bat

Value 1
Name: AVG7_CC
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP

Value 2
Name: Mygetridofstuff
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\Mygetridofstuff.bat
-----

I only included a couple of entries.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:A2BB2468-9FD8-405A-A51C-FE38EEDE807B@microsoft.com,
sccola <sccola@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I tried the aoutomatic fix, and got this message "this script cannot
> repair your issue. The expected Registry value was not found."
>
> I am too initmidated to try the manual fix, after reading all the warnings
> about screwing up my system.
>
> Anymore suggestions?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> sccola
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
>>
>> For an automated Edit go here:
>>
>> Read the instructions at the top of the page.
>> Scroll down to:
>> 260. Right hand side.
>> System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:64C2A5CA-0814-4C52-B7B4-F3ABFB24D913@microsoft.com,
>> sccola <sccola@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> "C:\WINDOWS\System32" pops up everytime I start my computer. I have run
>>> Spybot S&D and installed Microsoft's antispyware. HELP!!!
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance.

i did much the same thing 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/b4xvc) and nobody
can help me :confused:

--
shane_ishga

sccola,

This message?
[[This script cannot repair your issue. The expected Registry value was not
found.]]

The script looks for SB Audigy 2 Startup Menu value in
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
This is a real common problem with Dell machines that have an OEM version of
the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card. But it isn't the only thing that
causes the System32 folder to open at startup.

Look at this...
System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086

If you aren't sure about what's goofy, open the Registry Editor...
Start | run | Type: regedit | Click OK |
Navigate to >>>

Right click on the Run folder | Click Export | Select Desktop | For file
name Run1 | For Save as type select Text File | Click the Save button

Navigate to >>>

Right click on the Run folder | Click Export | Select Desktop | For file
name Run2 | For Save as type select Text File | Click the Save button

Go to the Desktop and open both Run1.txt and Run2.txt, copy everything and
paste it into a message and post back.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:A2BB2468-9FD8-405A-A51C-FE38EEDE807B@microsoft.com,
sccola <sccola@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I tried the aoutomatic fix, and got this message "this script cannot
> repair your issue. The expected Registry value was not found."
>
> I am too initmidated to try the manual fix, after reading all the warnings
> about screwing up my system.
>
> Anymore suggestions?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> sccola
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
>>
>> For an automated Edit go here:
>>
>> Read the instructions at the top of the page.
>> Scroll down to:
>> 260. Right hand side.
>> System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:64C2A5CA-0814-4C52-B7B4-F3ABFB24D913@microsoft.com,
>> sccola <sccola@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> "C:\WINDOWS\System32" pops up everytime I start my computer. I have run
>>> Spybot S&D and installed Microsoft's antispyware. HELP!!!
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance.

thank you soo much
i got rid of those things and found my system32 problem
it was a invalid regkey i think it looked like this - /r and that was
its comand directory aswell

--
shane_ishga

hey i cant get rid of that wildtanget
it just wont uninstall

and i removed tsl2 from startup but the rest i dunno

Value 12
Name: WildTangent CDA

Did you install this on purpose? Do you play games? Wild Tangent is
considered scumware because of it's underhanded method of getting
installed
on a users machine without their knowledge. If you do not play games
you do
not need Wild Tangent. Uninstall it in Add or Remove Programs from
the
Control Panel. If you want to keep it, that's OK.

tsl2.exe is no good either.

Value 13
Name: Tsl2
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\tsa\tsl2.exe

[[tsl2.exe is an advertising program by Travelling Salesman Spyware.
This
process monitors your browsing habits and distributes the data back to
the
author's servers for analysis. This also prompts advertising popups.
This
program is a registered security risk and should be removed
immediately. ]]

--
shane_ishga

Instructions here...
WildTangent Removal
http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/245-p1.php

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:shane_ishga.1uix1r@pcbanter.net,
shane_ishga <shane_ishga.1uix1r@pcbanter.net> hunted and pecked:
> hey i cant get rid of that wildtanget
> it just wont uninstall
>
> and i removed tsl2 from startup but the rest i dunno
>

> Value 12
> Name: WildTangent CDA
>
> Did you install this on purpose? Do you play games? Wild Tangent is
> considered scumware because of it's underhanded method of getting
> installed
> on a users machine without their knowledge. If you do not play games
> you do
> not need Wild Tangent. Uninstall it in Add or Remove Programs from
> the
> Control Panel. If you want to keep it, that's OK.
>
> tsl2.exe is no good either.
>
> Value 13
> Name: Tsl2
> Type: REG_SZ
> Data: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\tsa\tsl2.exe
>
> [[tsl2.exe is an advertising program by Travelling Salesman Spyware.
> This
> process monitors your browsing habits and distributes the data back to
> the
> author's servers for analysis. This also prompts advertising popups.
> This
> program is a registered security risk and should be removed
> immediately. ]]
>

> --
> shane_ishga

Glad to hear it. Keep having fun. :)