Guillemot/Hercules Catalyst 4.1 drivers for Radeon AIW 850..

I have Catalyst 3.1 downloaded from ATI site instlled on my System with
XP as OS. But the TV Tuner driver is yellow tagged and I get only
Video-in functionality with MMC 7.7 with no DVD Player. No DVD is O K
with me.
I am interested in restoring TV Tuner functionality for capturing live
PAL programmes from Cable TV. But the ealier drivers are not available
from the ATI site.
Would anyone who has the Guillemot/Hercules Catalyst 4.2 driver
installed share information on whether the TV Tuner driver works for
PAL system and about the MMC version used for getting the TV tuner
working?

P. Jayant
8 answers Last reply
More about guillemot hercules catalyst drivers radeon

    Uzytkownik "pjayant" <pjayant@sancharnet.in> napisal w wiadomosci
    >I have Catalyst 3.1 downloaded from ATI site instlled on my System with
    > XP as OS. But the TV Tuner driver is yellow tagged and I get only
    > Video-in functionality with MMC 7.7 with no DVD Player. No DVD is O K
    > with me.
    > I am interested in restoring TV Tuner functionality for capturing live
    > PAL programmes from Cable TV. But the ealier drivers are not available
    > from the ATI site.
    > Would anyone who has the Guillemot/Hercules Catalyst 4.2 driver
    > installed share information on whether the TV Tuner driver works for
    > PAL system and about the MMC version used for getting the TV tuner
    > working?

    This is old known problem for AIV 8500 DV. Try
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wdm_58.html

    in charper
    "TV Player Failed To Initialize Video, running ATI Multimedia Center"

    Rgds
    SZ

    I have read the web-page referred to by Zaboklicki but the Catalyst
    5.8 driver (5-8_XP_2K_WDM_25203.exe) detailed there is for Videocards
    9600 upwards. That is why I am looking for the earlier catalyst drivers
    which support the AIW Radeon 8500 DV. If anyone is using the
    Guillemot/Hercules driver, I would like to know if it is satisfactory
    foe TV Tuner, VCD Player and capture to AVI format.

    Thanks.

    P. Jayant
    Slawomir Zaboklicki wrote:
    > Uzytkownik "pjayant" <pjayant@sancharnet.in> napisal w wiadomosci
    > >I have Catalyst 3.1 downloaded from ATI site instlled on my System with
    > > XP as OS. But the TV Tuner driver is yellow tagged and I get only
    > > Video-in functionality with MMC 7.7 with no DVD Player. No DVD is O K
    > > with me.
    > > I am interested in restoring TV Tuner functionality for capturing live
    > > PAL programmes from Cable TV. But the ealier drivers are not available
    > > from the ATI site.
    > > Would anyone who has the Guillemot/Hercules Catalyst 4.2 driver
    > > installed share information on whether the TV Tuner driver works for
    > > PAL system and about the MMC version used for getting the TV tuner
    > > working?
    > >
    > This is old known problem for AIV 8500 DV. Try
    > http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wdm_58.html
    >
    > in charper
    > "TV Player Failed To Initialize Video, running ATI Multimedia Center"
    >
    > Rgds
    > SZ

    I use AIW 8500 DV in Windows XP Home with the newest Catalyst driver
    Text in release notes in "TV Player Failed To Initialize Video, running
    ATI Multimedia Center" is valid for all versions of the driver. It's the
    hardware problem with this 8500DV.
    Now I must every day run WDM driver if I want to see TV.
    Rgds
    SZ

    >I have read the web-page referred to by Zaboklicki but the Catalyst
    > 5.8 driver (5-8_XP_2K_WDM_25203.exe) detailed there is for Videocards
    > 9600 upwards. That is why I am looking for the earlier catalyst drivers
    > which support the AIW Radeon 8500 DV. If anyone is using the
    > Guillemot/Hercules driver, I would like to know if it is satisfactory
    > foe TV Tuner, VCD Player and capture to AVI format.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > P. Jayant
    > Slawomir Zaboklicki wrote:
    >> Uzytkownik "pjayant" <pjayant@sancharnet.in> napisal w wiadomosci
    >> >I have Catalyst 3.1 downloaded from ATI site instlled on my System with
    >> > XP as OS. But the TV Tuner driver is yellow tagged and I get only
    >> > Video-in functionality with MMC 7.7 with no DVD Player. No DVD is O K
    >> > with me.
    >> > I am interested in restoring TV Tuner functionality for capturing live
    >> > PAL programmes from Cable TV. But the ealier drivers are not available
    >> > from the ATI site.
    >> > Would anyone who has the Guillemot/Hercules Catalyst 4.2 driver
    >> > installed share information on whether the TV Tuner driver works for
    >> > PAL system and about the MMC version used for getting the TV tuner
    >> > working?
    >> >
    >> This is old known problem for AIV 8500 DV. Try
    >> http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wdm_58.html
    >>
    >> in charper
    >> "TV Player Failed To Initialize Video, running ATI Multimedia Center"
    >>
    >> Rgds
    >> SZ

    I would be grateful if you kindly explain what you mean by "must every
    day run WDM driver if I want to see TV". How does one run WDM driver.
    Is it the same as included in the Catalyst 4.1 bundle of
    Guillemot/Hercules? I would not mind running the driver every time I
    want to capture from live TV rograms.

    Thanks.

    P. Jayant

    >I would be grateful if you kindly explain what you mean by "must every
    > day run WDM driver if I want to see TV". How does one run WDM driver.
    > Is it the same as included in the Catalyst 4.1 bundle of
    > Guillemot/Hercules? I would not mind running the driver every time I
    > want to capture from live TV rograms.

    I downloaded WDM Capture Driver proper for my Ati driver from
    https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27
    and when Device Manager signals in Sound, Video and game controller
    that ATI WDM TV Tuner don't work properly I run WDM Capture driver
    and restart computer. Usually it helps.

    Sometimes I use compressed air to clean my old Hercules AIW 8500 DV card.
    It helps too.
    Rgds
    SZ

    Cleaning the card is a good suggestion and I shall try that out. But
    the reference which you have given above to the ATI knowledge page is
    asking the user to install Catalyst 5.8 which ATI themselves say are
    for cards Radeon 9500 or 9800 and later; not for Radeon 8500.
    When you say, you run the WDM capture driver, do you mean you reinstall
    it? Or is there any other way you run it? Your kind explanation will be
    very helpful. And have you followed the ATI recommendation and
    installed Catalyst 5.8 or are we still talking about using catalyst
    4.1?

    ThankP. Jayant

    > Cleaning the card is a good suggestion and I shall try that out. But
    > the reference which you have given above to the ATI knowledge page is
    > asking the user to install Catalyst 5.8 which ATI themselves say are
    > for cards Radeon 9500 or 9800 and later; not for Radeon 8500.

    I don't know. In Release notes for 5.8 Catalist they write that:
    "
    The CatalystT software suite is designed to support the following ATI
    desktop products:

    a.. Radeon® X850 series
    b.. Radeon® X800 series
    c.. Radeon® X700 series
    d.. Radeon® X600 series
    e.. Radeon® X550 series
    f.. Radeon® X300 series
    g.. Radeon® 9X00 series
    h.. Radeon® 8500 series
    i.. Radeon® 7X00 series
    j.. FireMVT 2200
    k.. FireMVT 2200 PCI Express"
    Use the version with Control Panel, not with Catalist Control Center.

    > When you say, you run the WDM capture driver, do you mean you reinstall
    > it? Or is there any other way you run it?

    Reinstall.

    Your kind explanation will be
    > very helpful. And have you followed the ATI recommendation and
    > installed Catalyst 5.8 or are we still talking about using catalyst
    > 4.1?

    I use the newest valid for my card driver.
    My TV tuner in AIW 8500DV sometimes starts, somentimes not.
    That is hardware problem in this card.
    RGds
    SZ

    I installed the Control Panel version of Catalyst 5.8 after
    uninstalling the Catalyst 4.1 drivers using the ATI cat removing tool
    and after installingd the SP2 service pack as required by ATI. The
    ControlPanel version does not require the DotNet framework and so I
    have skipped that. XP has gone and installed the old 6.14.10.6246
    version of the TV Tuner driver. I do not remember from which version of
    Cataalyst, I have it on my computer. And even that has always been
    yellow tagged. When I tried to ask XP to install the TV Tuner driver in
    the Catalyst 5.8 bundle, XP refused to install it, saying it fails to
    initiate the TV Tuner.. Could you check what is the number of the TV
    Tuner driver in the Catalyst 5.8 bundle?
    What is your experience? I wonder why ATI who must be monitoring these
    discussions never asks one of their experts to interverne nad provide
    guidance to the sheep lost in the Catalyst jungle. That would be some
    Customer Support

    P. Jayant.

Radeon TV Catalyst ATI Graphics