Disabling Ad hoc wireless network connection in Windows XP

August 25, 2005 4:55:02 PM

I have found in Group Policy that there is a policy called Turn off Microsoft
Peer-to-Peer Networking Services and is located under Computer
Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Microsoft Peer-to-Peer. I have
enabled this policy and applied to a test Windows XP SP2 machine. I have
found that on this test machine I can still create a new ad hoc wireless
network.

Does anyone know how I can prevent users from creating ad hoc networks? Or
why this policy is not working the way that i thought it would?
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 9:24:56 PM

It appears that this possible if you have Server 2003, and are enforcing group policies from there.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...

The settings referenced don't appear to exist in GPEDIT in XP Pro SP2. It would appear that there is an ADM file that ships with server 2003 that doesn't ship with XP.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Ryan Lara" <Ryan Lara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7B996665-62F2-400E-8C50-DE96377959B7@microsoft.com...
>I have found in Group Policy that there is a policy called Turn off Microsoft
> Peer-to-Peer Networking Services and is located under Computer
> Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Microsoft Peer-to-Peer. I have
> enabled this policy and applied to a test Windows XP SP2 machine. I have
> found that on this test machine I can still create a new ad hoc wireless
> network.
>
> Does anyone know how I can prevent users from creating ad hoc networks? Or
> why this policy is not working the way that i thought it would?
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 12:36:18 PM

Im on WIndows 2003 and I have enforced this policy on the client. Could it be
that the client does not recognize the policy somehow and that is why the
policy is not being enforced.

The problem is this...Even though the Win XP sp2 machine has received the
policy, it is still allowing ad hoc network connections.

Any help is appreciated.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> It appears that this possible if you have Server 2003, and are enforcing group policies from there.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...
>
> The settings referenced don't appear to exist in GPEDIT in XP Pro SP2. It would appear that there is an ADM file that ships with server 2003 that doesn't ship with XP.

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Ryan Lara" <Ryan Lara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7B996665-62F2-400E-8C50-DE96377959B7@microsoft.com...
> >I have found in Group Policy that there is a policy called Turn off Microsoft
> > Peer-to-Peer Networking Services and is located under Computer
> > Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Microsoft Peer-to-Peer. I have
> > enabled this policy and applied to a test Windows XP SP2 machine. I have
> > found that on this test machine I can still create a new ad hoc wireless
> > network.
> >
> > Does anyone know how I can prevent users from creating ad hoc networks? Or
> > why this policy is not working the way that i thought it would?

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 5:40:59 PM

Without the ADM file to examine (I don't have Server 2003 here) I couldn't even begin to tell you where this policy is applied in the Registry.

!